Author Topic: Lithium Battery?  (Read 9327 times)

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lithium Battery?
« on: Sep 19, 2018, 01:12 PM »
I’m looking to lighten my load, and plan to switch the battery powering my sonar to Lithium. Dakota seems to be a top choice, and I was all set on the 10Ah battery.

However, I’ve seen a ton of car starters/power banks that list 10,000mAh capacity (or higher) that are much smaller and lighter than the two post lithium batteries of the same capacity. I’m guessing that it is not just and apples to apples comparison, or everyone would be using these tiny batteries to power their equipment?

I briefly looking into how Ah is calculated/battery capacity, and immediately found that it would be much easier to just ask here.

Thanks,
Mark

Offline Fishtrekker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lithium Battery?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2018, 03:17 PM »
Whats your budget? I have been extremely happy with the Marcum shuttle. Those batteries are 12,000 Ah but depending on your needs, might be easier going to a stand-a-lone LI battery like Dakota.

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2018, 03:58 PM »
There was a group buy of Dakota lithium's last season, administrated by a forum member to help reduce the purchasing price.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 2018, 06:41 PM »
To put it simple without a lot of math.

Everyone pretty much did the research. The dakota lithium is the best price/value hence why everyone gets them. I bought a 10aH a year or so before the guys did the buying group.

For the simple explanation

The Lead acid vs a lithium does have differences.

Form my experiances a 7ah lead acid or a 7ah lithium will have basicly the same run time. When new.

The lithium will last around 2000 charge cycles lead acid if taken care of 500 cycles.

Over time has the lead acid battery ages & has charge cycles occur you will lose run time/battery capacity. So over time you will see your run time shorten on a lead acid battery vs the lithium.

The reduced weight is nice with a lithium. The reason I went with a lithium battery was due to being able to get a 10ah battery that would fit my vexilar. Biggest lead acid I could find that fit was a 9ah.......I've seen plenty of 7,8,&9 ah lead acids but never a 10ah around. To me the higher upfront cost was worth it to get a 10ah lithium.

Offline Flatrocker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2018, 07:07 PM »
The lighter weight was shocking to me.  Add all the above, I just couldn't believe how much lighter my flasher was with the
Dakota!!!!!

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2018, 07:14 PM »
Here's the thread for the dakotas, from the way it sounds most everyone has had a good experience with them. One did have his leaking and a few other charger issues but looks good. Mine surpassed my expectations for sure

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=347556.0
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #6 on: Sep 19, 2018, 07:35 PM »
I bought the Marcum MI with Li shuttle, and am impressed with the power and "no" maintenance on it.  Reduced weight is awesome as well.  Didn't really need the bucket.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 19, 2018, 08:52 PM »
I also jumped on the dakota order from last year and counldn't be happier

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Sep 19, 2018, 10:44 PM »
For those new to lithium batteries. To get the full ah rating of a lipo 4 battery they need to be charged with a charger designed for it. A standard lead acid charger will not charge it to its full capacity.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Sep 20, 2018, 06:46 AM »
Thanks everyone! I’m sold on the merits of lithium vs lead acid (primarily the run-time vs size/weight). I really like the Marcum shuttle, but a stand-alone battery is a better fit for my use. The Dakota lithium has a great reputation, and it is the first on my list.

However, I still don’t fully understand how to compare the relative capacity of the various lithium batteries available. Especially the multi-voltage power banks that list a much higher capacity to size/weight ratio.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Sep 20, 2018, 07:16 AM »
For those new to lithium batteries. To get the full ah rating of a lipo 4 battery they need to be charged with a charger designed for it. A standard lead acid charger will not charge it to its full capacity.
when i had my Dakota lithium battery problem i chatted with quite a few reps and they stated these could be fully charged with a battery tender jr.so i dont see why any charger couldn’t be used.i bought the charger for the battery and charged it with a battery tender jr.both charged it about the same voltage above 13 volts.the lithium runs my vexilar flx28 for 2 days and doesnt drop voltage down from 100%!weight difference is amazing too..

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #12 on: Sep 20, 2018, 11:08 AM »
Thanks to Slayerfish, I use the M18 power source with my fuel Li-Ion batts... the whole setup was $30.  If you own a fuel, it's the way to go...
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/tools/cordless-tools/heated-gear/m18-power-source/49-24-2371
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Sep 20, 2018, 11:02 PM »
Thanks to Slayerfish, I use the M18 power source with my fuel Li-Ion batts... the whole setup was $30.  If you own a fuel, it's the way to go...
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/tools/cordless-tools/heated-gear/m18-power-source/49-24-2371

What did you have to swap or change to get your flasher to connect to the Milwaukee power source? I was planning to get a LI battery in the next few weeks but if I can just bring a spare for the auger, that would be easier.

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Sep 20, 2018, 11:48 PM »
I can help out I need to know the amp draw of the unit

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Sep 21, 2018, 12:15 AM »
You can build a adapter just for this just need the unit power draw

Online ronco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Sep 21, 2018, 07:02 AM »
What did you have to swap or change to get your flasher to connect to the Milwaukee power source? I was planning to get a LI battery in the next few weeks but if I can just bring a spare for the auger, that would be easier.

Here you go, a thread from last year with all of the info with pics;
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=349286.0
The secret to fishing.....fish where the fish are.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 21, 2018, 07:05 AM »
  You just need a 2.2 x 5.5mm barrel connector and you run your leads to your unit.  The Powersource steps down the 18V to 12V.  You can run anything off of it really.  I run a strand of LED's and a fan to circulate head off of mine.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #18 on: Sep 21, 2018, 07:24 AM »
The post that Ronco shared should have everything you need to do it.  Let me know if you need further info and I can post more pics.  I learned the hard way that you need to keep the terminals separated when connected to the power source.  I built a terminal “holder” that keeps them separated, so they never touch while moving the flasher around.

It’s a really nice setup — I carry three, 5Ah Li-ion batts to power my flasher, my auger, and even charge my phone if needed.  Never even got close to using a single battery’s juice in a day.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Sep 21, 2018, 10:01 AM »
Thanks for all the info guys, I have a pile of Milwaukee batteries and an Amazon gift card. Looks like I'll be ordering the parts tonight to lighten up my gear alittle more and way cheaper than getting a whole new battery.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Sep 21, 2018, 11:45 AM »
Thanks for all the info guys, I have a pile of Milwaukee batteries and an Amazon gift card. Looks like I'll be ordering the parts tonight to lighten up my gear alittle more and way cheaper than getting a whole new battery.

Hell Yeah! 
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #21 on: Sep 21, 2018, 11:51 AM »
Most flashers graphs have a recommended voltage input of 10.5v - 15v I really doubt running a 18 vdc power supply to the unit would hurt it. My Humminbird Helix 10 says 10v to 20v dc power input in the specs.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Sep 21, 2018, 11:54 AM »
I plan on getting one of those Dakota lithium to replace the 12ah cinderblock that comes with the Garmin ice package. I will be losing 2ah though, so that’s the downside....

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Sep 21, 2018, 12:34 PM »
That 12Ah cinderblock is why I’m looking at lithium batteries as well. I will probably go with a pair of the Dakota 10Ah batteries, but I’m still looking at options (I need 12hrs+ run time).

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Sep 21, 2018, 02:00 PM »
By the looks of the specs, two of those Dakota batteries weighs less than the one cinderblock. Each 10ah Li is just under three pounds, the 12ah SLA is 8ish pounds. Having two of those batteries would be nice, just keep one in the sled to really save weight while hole hopping.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #25 on: Sep 21, 2018, 06:22 PM »
You do realize that you can get a 12v 12ah lithium battery like the 12ah cinder block that comes in the far in unit.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Sep 21, 2018, 08:23 PM »
You do realize that you can get a 12v 12ah lithium battery like the 12ah cinder block that comes in the far in unit.
Did a quick search and came up with this one, is this legit?!?
http://www.discovermymobility.com/store/batteries/12v12ah-lithium/index.html

Otherwise what batteries would you recomend that would replace the original battery. From the reviews, I was going to order at least one of the Dakota 10ah batteries. If I had two it would be 20ah worth of power, and a lot less weight if I kept one battery in a storage bag in the sled.

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Sep 21, 2018, 08:58 PM »
Sea monkey, the seller of that "awesome" battery doesnt get good reviews on the interwebs....

https://www.yellowpages.com/hazel-park-mi/mip/discover-your-mobility-480840914

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #28 on: Sep 21, 2018, 09:09 PM »
Did a quick search and came up with this one, is this legit?!?
http://www.discovermymobility.com/store/batteries/12v12ah-lithium/index.html

Otherwise what batteries would you recomend that would replace the original battery. From the reviews, I was going to order at least one of the Dakota 10ah batteries. If I had two it would be 20ah worth of power, and a lot less weight if I kept one battery in a storage bag in the sled.

I don't know about that one, or what the size of your lead acid is. However, you should be able to find a lithium that is the same size with the same or larger AH rating. I'd rather have one with a high ah then 2 with a smaller ah. I know a 7ah doesn't hold a candle to a 9ah for run time. Keep looking and you'll find what you want

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Sep 21, 2018, 09:15 PM »
Sea monkey, the seller of that "awesome" battery doesnt get good reviews on the interwebs....

https://www.yellowpages.com/hazel-park-mi/mip/discover-your-mobility-480840914
Yea I was getting about the same results after doing some more research.  Still looking at some possibilities that fit the same dementions, they are in the 15ah range. but for some of the prices im seeing, I might as well get two of the Dakota batteries.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.