Author Topic: 13 Fishing Freefall vs. Freefall Ghost  (Read 5563 times)

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 13 Fishing Freefall vs. Freefall Ghost
« Reply #30 on: Sep 18, 2018, 03:30 PM »
Guess we'll just agree to disagree then  ;D Sounds like we've concluded that the only "advantage" a spinning reel has over an inline reel is the cost. If that's appealing to someone, can't argue with that. Also can't put a price on preference though.
Preference always wins out which is why I drive a 1999 hailed-out 2WD Dodge Dakota with no AC and only enough heat to stay above freezing.

To me the biggest advantage of a spinning reel is that jigs fall faster. No moving parts and all it has to do is fall off the stationary spool. I fish IGL quite often, and bluegill school up and move along the weedlines pretty quickly, almost roaming like cattle. When they do start to come through you generally have about 10 minutes of high activity until there's a lull between the next wave. Hole hopping on such as big flat is pretty pointless so if I'm stationary I want to get a fish off the hook and that jig back down there asap. I've used a Frabill 371 and a FF to try them when inlines first became a rage, and they fall at about half as fast. ANy less spool tension and they backlash.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #31 on: Sep 18, 2018, 04:28 PM »
1 of my inlines is totally backed  off plus I even cut the spool tension rubber , absolute free fall
 Takes a little practice to control the rate of fall with out backlash , I run 1/8 to 1once jigs , ,
  But I must admit I don’t use either of them for flatfish as we usually fish for them most times 8’ or less
 I use both spinning and inlines , they both have their purpose , , that’s why There are choices,

Online HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Sep 18, 2018, 04:46 PM »
Someone who uses inline's will get down just as fast or faster with a freefall.  They're not my thing but I'm not going to sit here and say they're slower just cuz I don't use them enough to let them function to their potential

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #33 on: Sep 19, 2018, 10:42 AM »
Gravity is the same everywhere....

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Sep 19, 2018, 11:06 AM »
As said already, to each their own - I use both spinning and the Ghost's and both work just fine to catch fish.  Main reason I decided to keep using the Ghost's was the ability to better control the drop - especially when suspended crappie are around. 

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Sep 19, 2018, 06:47 PM »
I really really want to like the inlines, for their advantages, but I am too mobile and jump in and out of shack too often to consistently use them.  I had a 371, and every time out had line tangles.  If can find a used ghost, I may give that a try.   Personally I cannot justify spending more than 40-50 bucks on an ice reel unless I can use it for open water as well.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Da Pack!

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Sep 20, 2018, 05:59 PM »
Not true... https://www.scienceabc.com/eyeopeners/gravity-weight-vary-different-parts-world.html

Interesting!  Even if gravity was the same everywhere, each reel and line type would present different levels of resistance and friction.  Guide size, placing, and numbers would also probably affect it a little.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #38 on: Sep 22, 2018, 09:19 PM »
Man there are some tricked out free falls out now...looking cool.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.