Author Topic: 13 Fishing Freefall vs. Freefall Ghost  (Read 5565 times)

Offline prosty41

• Team IceShanty Addict
13 Fishing Freefall vs. Freefall Ghost
« on: Sep 07, 2018, 01:08 PM »
I am planning to add the freefall to my equipment this year. I have had the 6061 for a few years and lost the handle and spring down the hole. It still works ok after I ghettoed it but I am ready to upgrade.

The freefall is $110.00 and the freefall ghost is $75. I like the aesthetics of the ghost but I am failing to see the practical difference. Anyone know?

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 13 Fishing Freefall vs. Freefall Ghost
« Reply #1 on: Sep 07, 2018, 01:31 PM »
The ghost is a composite spool where as the straight up freefall is all metal.  Personally, I would go with the ghost because of the difference in price.
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 07, 2018, 01:46 PM »
No idea but bought a ghost and don't use it. Might as well go with the ghost seeing its cheaper in case you dont like it

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 07, 2018, 01:48 PM »
No idea but bought a ghost and don't use it. Might as well go with the ghost seeing its cheaper in case you dont like it

Maybe you should sell it  ;)

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 2018, 01:52 PM »
Have a hard time selling fishing equipment. Sometimes i feel more like a tackle collector than fisherman  ;D

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 07, 2018, 03:24 PM »
🔺Me too!
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 07, 2018, 05:17 PM »
Have a hard time selling fishing equipment. Sometimes i feel more like a tackle collector than fisherman  ;D

You should see my boxes of ice lures and open water cranks & lures.......I think I could start a tackle store and make it a few seasons on inventory.

Offline prosty41

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 08, 2018, 08:07 AM »
The ghost is a composite spool where as the straight up freefall is all metal.  Personally, I would go with the ghost because of the difference in price.

Thanks! Any idea if there is a difference in performance with the composite spool? I typically like to buy quality stuff and I’m that guy that ends up buying more crap after I “justify” the upgrade. So... I tend to try to just buy the good stuff the first time around

Offline WolfPack1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Sep 08, 2018, 12:16 PM »
Question. Is it just the spool that’s composit, or the whole reel? As I have a couple 6061’s, and to be honest, part of me hates them because of the fact that they are all aluminum! Durable, yes, but when it’s cold out, they are cold! They are also fairly heavy. I’ve had my hands stick to them a few times and have had to stick my hand/reel in the hole to “thaw” it a touch! I use a Frabill 371 that I actually like very much as is composit.

Is this a issue you have or have considered? Maybe I’m the only one! I do still love the reels however. Just a little issue for me.

Offline prosty41

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Sep 08, 2018, 09:49 PM »
Question. Is it just the spool that’s composit, or the whole reel? As I have a couple 6061’s, and to be honest, part of me hates them because of the fact that they are all aluminum! Durable, yes, but when it’s cold out, they are cold! They are also fairly heavy. I’ve had my hands stick to them a few times and have had to stick my hand/reel in the hole to “thaw” it a touch! I use a Frabill 371 that I actually like very much as is composit.

Is this a issue you have or have considered? Maybe I’m the only one! I do still love the reels however. Just a little issue for me.

I experienced that with my 6061. Although I hadent considered that the composite might actually solve the problem. I’m leaning toword the Ghost; just don’t want to regret not having bought the primo

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Sep 12, 2018, 09:31 AM »
Most of it is composite plastic of some sort.   I bought one of each at the Sioux Falls Angler Institute last fall.    I put 4lb line on the Freefall and 2lb line on the Ghost.  The 2lb line is small enough to get between the spool and the shroud and it gets tangled all the time.  I think they both need a 4lb line on them to not get tangled. 

Otherwise after a season where I didn't fish much I wasn't a big fan.  A little overrated I think.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Sep 13, 2018, 08:06 AM »
Ghost is pretty much all composite, the original freefall has a composite covering over the aluminum spool so you don't feel the cold or have your hand get stuck to the metal like the 6061. As mentioned, the line getting caught in the spool is the only downfall I've had. I run 3# line, might go to 4# to avoid that.

I'm not sold on the quality of the composite yet which is why I went with a second freefall rather than the ghost. If you're spending $75 on a reel, might as well spend $110 on a higher quality reel (can find them around $100 pretty frequently). I think after this season we'll have a better idea of the durability of the ghost. I do like how the ghost looks and would like to add it to my collection, but only if it'll hold up for the price.

Complete honesty - the 371 is still my favorite reel. If it weren't for the open spool button being on the side I never would have went to the BB freefall.
Da Pack!

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Sep 13, 2018, 08:29 AM »
I used a pair of the Ghost's last season on my pannie rods and wasn't overly thrilled with them at first due to the line tangle issue.  I switched the line to Nanofil braid and oh what a difference - no issues and very smooth drop.  I fish 99% of the time in a shanty so going to the braid worked great for me.

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Sep 13, 2018, 09:10 AM »
I used a pair of the Ghost's last season on my pannie rods and wasn't overly thrilled with them at first due to the line tangle issue.  I switched the line to Nanofil braid and oh what a difference - no issues and very smooth drop.  I fish 99% of the time in a shanty so going to the braid worked great for me.

What lb line did you use in the nanofil?  I have always been a bit leary of braid because I hole hop, but its usually not terribly cold.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #14 on: Sep 13, 2018, 06:09 PM »

Really.....nanofil.... .my buddy had issues when the line kinked it basicly lost all strength. So he ripped off his nanofil.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 13, 2018, 08:42 PM »
From what I gathered, choose nanofil based on the diameter you would want mono to be. if you go with the Lb test rating like 2-4, it’ll be way too thin to hold up to any abrasion.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Sep 14, 2018, 10:36 AM »
What lb line did you use in the nanofil?  I have always been a bit leary of braid because I hole hop, but its usually not terribly cold.

I use 6-lb Nanofil and tie on a 18" to 24" fluoro leader.  Never had any issues with kinking or break-offs in the few months I ran it.  Very low memory provided a smooth drop with little coil.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #17 on: Sep 14, 2018, 09:55 PM »

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Sep 15, 2018, 07:47 AM »

Inline reels might not make one angler better than another, but it definitely upped my catch rate after switching! Especially late season with 3mm jigs.
Da Pack!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #19 on: Sep 15, 2018, 04:17 PM »

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Sep 17, 2018, 08:18 AM »
Inline reels might not make one angler better than another, but it definitely upped my catch rate after switching! Especially late season with 3mm jigs.
To each his own, but the only thing an inline reel does better than a spinning reel is reducing jig spin. And that doesn't outweigh the negatives...like crappy drags, cost , tangles, etc...

A $.05 swivel does everything a Freefall does with none of the hassles.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #21 on: Sep 17, 2018, 03:50 PM »
yup:)

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #22 on: Sep 17, 2018, 04:43 PM »
So Ive got both inline and spinning reels, and I use the inlines, but yes, they can tangle, cause some issues, etc...If fishing a 3mm tungsten, do you really think a swivel will take any perceived spin out of it?  Not starting anything here, just seriously wondering.....thats not a lot f weight to 'work' that swivel......and I dont mean to hijack either....ive got a ghost, and really like it, except when the line goes behind the spool.......

Offline HardIce32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Sep 17, 2018, 08:31 PM »
 The freefall is also made out of composite

Offline HardIce32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Sep 17, 2018, 09:21 PM »
 I suppose I might as well give my two cents.  Hands-down the best in-line reel  I have ever fished with or seen.  Pros: Faster than spinning reels getting the Jig back down to the school if there is a hot bite. can do it with one hand instead of needing 2 to close your bail/ pull line out.  Not as much line memory If any at all. The freefall actually has a very smooth quality drag. Cons:   It’s an in-line reel lol,   Great for inside a hard shack or Shanny, not a good reel for hole hopping or sitting on a bucket outside in cold temps. Line can get caught behind spool if it’s windy,  Snow/ice/water droplets tend to stick to the aluminum spool if you set it down making it freeze  up easier than spinning reel’s. Tank gills, crappy, jumbo perch fishing in a house or shack, I’ll grab the freefall every time.   Fishing outside in the elements, hole hopping, or bigger species, I always use a spinning reel. In the end, like it was said on a earlier post, to each their own.  I have dozens of in-line and spinning reels, from your $29 combos from Cabela’s or bass pro to $100 reels and custom poles.   Sometimes you get what you pay for and sometimes you don't! 

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Sep 18, 2018, 10:05 AM »
To each his own, but the only thing an inline reel does better than a spinning reel is reducing jig spin. And that doesn't outweigh the negatives...like crappy drags, cost , tangles, etc...

A $.05 swivel does everything a Freefall does with none of the hassles.

Swivel doesn't stop jig spin on a 3mm jig. Nor does a swivel decrease line memory which is a far bigger issue with spinning reels vs inline even with fluorocarbon. Bigger spool radius, less memory. Swivel runs the risk of catching on ice in addition to 2 extra knots that have potential to fail on 2# test. Swivel gets caught easier in rod eyelets, especially when hole hopping. Plenty of pros and cons on either side.
Da Pack!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #26 on: Sep 18, 2018, 11:32 AM »

Offline yonger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Sep 18, 2018, 12:35 PM »
So does anyone have the ghost and the freefall?  What is your opinion?  Is it worth the 25 -30 dollars extra for the freefall?

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Sep 18, 2018, 01:32 PM »
Swivel doesn't stop jig spin on a 3mm jig. Nor does a swivel decrease line memory which is a far bigger issue with spinning reels vs inline even with fluorocarbon. Bigger spool radius, less memory. Swivel runs the risk of catching on ice in addition to 2 extra knots that have potential to fail on 2# test. Swivel gets caught easier in rod eyelets, especially when hole hopping. Plenty of pros and cons on either side.
A swivel sure as hell takes care of spin on a 3mm jig. I don't know what you've used before, but a #1 SPRO Power Swivel will even stop the spin on the Fiskas 2.5MM with the hole through the jig body instead of an eyelet. They're so small you have to snell them.It isn't about the weight of the jig, and especially not when you're getting down to the sizes we're talking. What is the weight difference between a 4mm and 3mm jig anyway? Do you honestly think its enough that a 4mm will straighten out while a 3mm will sit there and spin like a pinwheel?

As far as knots, I don't know what to say to that other than I've hauled  a whole bunch of fish on the ice in my life with 2lb test and I can't say I've ever had one where the knot gave out instead of line breaking. I'm not arguing that you should switch to spinning reels, but to say that they have definite qualities than give them an advantage (especially a $60-70 advantage) over a spinning reel is goofy.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Sep 18, 2018, 02:20 PM »
A swivel sure as hell takes care of spin on a 3mm jig. I don't know what you've used before, but a #1 SPRO Power Swivel will even stop the spin on the Fiskas 2.5MM with the hole through the jig body instead of an eyelet. They're so small you have to snell them.It isn't about the weight of the jig, and especially not when you're getting down to the sizes we're talking. What is the weight difference between a 4mm and 3mm jig anyway? Do you honestly think its enough that a 4mm will straighten out while a 3mm will sit there and spin like a pinwheel?

As far as knots, I don't know what to say to that other than I've hauled  a whole bunch of fish on the ice in my life with 2lb test and I can't say I've ever had one where the knot gave out instead of line breaking. I'm not arguing that you should switch to spinning reels, but to say that they have definite qualities than give them an advantage (especially a $60-70 advantage) over a spinning reel is goofy.

Guess we'll just agree to disagree then  ;D Sounds like we've concluded that the only "advantage" a spinning reel has over an inline reel is the cost. If that's appealing to someone, can't argue with that. Also can't put a price on preference though.
Da Pack!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.