Author Topic: My vacation in Michigan  (Read 2176 times)

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
My vacation in Michigan
« on: Aug 08, 2018, 06:10 AM »
I wanted to post this on the UP forum so that you all could find it easily. I am from southeastern NY and went to MI the week of July 30. I loved it, especially the UP. Did not have time to do any fishing and stayed in a different place every night.

Swam in 4 of the great lakes during the week ( all except Ontario which we did not drive past ). Swam in Huron right by the Mack. bridge, swam in Michigan at Manistique at the beautiful beach there, swam in 2 places in Superior, at the campsite on Grand Island, then on the other side of the island during our 6 hour kayak trip. Camped on GI just 1 night but loved it. Superior water is gin clear like I have never seen water before.

Headed east from Munising along H-58 and saw Munising Falls, Miner's Castle overlook, 12 mile beach and then a sunset at Grand Marais. Spent the night in Newberry and then went to Whitefish Point, spent about 4 hours at the Shipwreck Museum and then started heading back home along the Huron shore. Thank you all for being such nice people. Your state is awesome and I def. need to ice fish there some day. The Great Lakes are a magnificent sight to behold and a limitless playground. Really loved the ride ( twice ) over the bridge and we went 20 MPH over it to take in the view as long as possible.

I highly recommend a MI vacation to anyone !
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: My vacation in Michigan
« Reply #1 on: Aug 08, 2018, 08:04 AM »
Glad you liked our piece of Paradise. We love it.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Kingperch101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2018, 12:00 PM »
I am glad you had a great trip to our beautiful state! If you are looking to make a long weekend or ice fishing trip here is the ideal layout! 25 minutes north east of the bridge there are a few towns Hessel (1st town you'd drive through) and then cedarville (2nd) and just north, pickford. Within Cedarville and hessel there are a chain of Islands that are known as the "Les Cheneaux Islands" (GOOGE IT!!) There are plenty of good bars and stores for your dire needs while fishing of course, plenty of hotels/motels and of course a coffee shop for your mornings and keeping warm within the day! Cedarville and Hessel have great fishing for seasonal splake, pike, perch etc. North of cedarville is a town called pickford, which has some of the best walleye and perch fishing in michigan on a Bay Called Munuscong bay! Keep michigan in the back of your mind there is some great fishing in general!

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2018, 01:58 PM »
Don't overlook the antique boat show in Hessel. Early August. Incredible old boats.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Kingperch101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2018, 01:43 PM »
Haven't missed one since I was born in 01'  ;)

Offline steeliebob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2018, 11:20 AM »
I am glad you had a great trip to our beautiful state! If you are looking to make a long weekend or ice fishing trip here is the ideal layout! 25 minutes north east of the bridge there are a few towns Hessel (1st town you'd drive through) and then cedarville (2nd) and just north, pickford. Within Cedarville and hessel there are a chain of Islands that are known as the "Les Cheneaux Islands" (GOOGE IT!!) There are plenty of good bars and stores for your dire needs while fishing of course, plenty of hotels/motels and of course a coffee shop for your mornings and keeping warm within the day! Cedarville and Hessel have great fishing for seasonal splake, pike, perch etc. North of cedarville is a town called pickford, which has some of the best walleye and perch fishing in michigan on a Bay Called Munuscong bay! Keep michigan in the back of your mind there is some great fishing in general!
I will be out there in a couple of weeks. I usually fish just East of 4 Mile Block launch.

Offline Dltbr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2018, 09:21 PM »
King perch
How early does this area lock up ?

I live south of bridge in Kalkaska so seeing things start but looooong way to go,

Thanks

Offline Kingperch101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2018, 11:27 AM »
I will be out there in a couple of weeks. I usually fish just East of 4 Mile Block launch.

This is where I keep my permanents :) Usually get home from school and hop on the sled, 15 minute ride out if ice conditions
King perch
How early does this area lock up ?

I live south of bridge in Kalkaska so seeing things start but looooong way to go,

Thanks

are good!

The Ice is starting to form up well. We have had a ton of warmer weather and rain late fall which has been a tad bit tricky. I have been walking out and fishing for the past two weeks on Munuscong Bay in Pickford... 3-6 inches in areas. After this weekend we are looking at some nice colder weather which will start to freeze us over well! I am hoping that we will be able to ride sleds and 4-wheelers out by christmas break on plenty of ice if all goes well!

I know here in cedarville and hessel that we have a ton of warmer weather the past two weeks and a ton of rain/snow which has been melting everything :( We have also had a ton of super high wind gusts that have broken the ice all up.... Hoping the ice forms up for christmas time as well down here :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.