Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Is anyone getting the itch?  (Read 2268 times)

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
Is anyone getting the itch?
« on: Jul 20, 2018, 09:29 PM »
Is anyone starting to get their stuff out and look at it, or thinking about what they need to buy when it all comes out? I have already booked my hotel room for the YBB at Clear Lake in February. I know it’s only July, but I’m ready for some hard water. Might have to turn the Vex on and stare at it for a while!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Is anyone getting the itch?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2018, 10:22 PM »
Time to fish off the side of the dock with the vex??  Lols 

Offline Just a random icefisherma

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jul 22, 2018, 09:32 PM »
Already partially done bryfish, got 100 bucks off a elite 7ti, and got to test sidescan out tonight. I honestly dont know how I've fished without it, as it makes finding summer structure super easy.

Now I just need an insulated flipover...
"I love the freedoms we got in this country, I appreciate your freedom to burn your flag if you want to, but I really appreciate my right to bear arms so I can shoot you if you try to burn mine."
-Johnny Cash

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jul 22, 2018, 09:38 PM »

Now I just need an insulated flipover...

We you came to the right place lol's I will do a seach in a few for flip overs you looking for 1 or 2 man insulated flips? ? Maybe start a fresh thread about them?? Instead of high jacking this guy's mak I ng for a long and boring read for others .. I will keep a eye out for it any how I got the itch just  like a lot of others do!!

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2018, 11:00 PM »
Hard not to. Looking at winter forecast predictions, planning a trip. The list goes on.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Sep 24, 2018, 05:44 AM »
Once I'm satisfied with the fall river smallmouth smash, I'll be more amped for it.  I will say, the 40° overnight low we got here got me thinking about it.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 24, 2018, 07:50 AM »
I’ve had the “itch” for awhile now. Changed the oil and plug on the auger, bought and installed a new lower shaft,
been re-spooling the ice reels and re-organizing the spoons and jigs...so yeah, I’ve got the itch something fierce!  ;D
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 24, 2018, 09:30 AM »
I scouted a new lake yesterday in my kayak, caught a lot of different species and some nice white crappies. The fryer oil will be hot after work today.

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Sep 24, 2018, 12:12 PM »
I started dinking around with stuff last weekend.  Printed out my 4 month calendar and started writing in dates of ice fishing trips and tournaments trying to see what I can all fit in.

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Sep 26, 2018, 01:37 PM »
Nope, lots of open water fall fishing to be had first. Big humpbacks and walleye's.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 01, 2018, 09:16 PM »
Booked a trip to South Dakota, now let’s see how long I can wait before I lower the ice shack out of the rafters. Waiting is the worst part.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #11 on: Oct 05, 2018, 09:42 AM »
I had a chance to fish Lake Anita last month and told the nephew who was with me that we will hit it this hard water season! So yes already ready for ice!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 15, 2018, 07:43 AM »
Just watched the November December January outlook on the weather channel app. Not looking good for ice making, above temps for these months. They do lie about things so hopefully they're wrong.

Offline Just a random icefisherma

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Oct 15, 2018, 09:56 AM »
might have to make a trip to the IGL's this year if thats the case. hopefully its not correct.
"I love the freedoms we got in this country, I appreciate your freedom to burn your flag if you want to, but I really appreciate my right to bear arms so I can shoot you if you try to burn mine."
-Johnny Cash

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 15, 2018, 04:22 PM »
I’m planning on hitting Clear Lake up at least a few times.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #15 on: Oct 15, 2018, 04:28 PM »
Been getting my stuff ready since July...almost done. Wife said I'm nuts...I said you make it sound like a bad thing.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 15, 2018, 05:50 PM »
Long range forecasts will drive a guy nuts. Weather channel says warmer than normal, accuweather says colder. They say El Niño makes winter warmer but if you look back it’s a 50/50 chance of it being warmer or colder than average. Personally I think we  are due for a good deep freeze winter. Last year was supposed to be a La Niña winter which should bring cool temps to us, but what we had was another shortened warm winter in central Iowa. 2009-2010 was an El Niño winter and it was one of the coldest and snowiest on record, and if I remember right the fall that year was very similar to this. Snow pack in Canada and the northern US will greatly affect winter as well. There are too many variables to quantify, winter will come, I just hope it gets here and stays. If it doesn’t come to us then I may have to take a few more trips north!

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 15, 2018, 06:17 PM »
Long range forecasts will drive a guy nuts. Weather channel says warmer than normal, accuweather says colder. They say El Niño makes winter warmer but if you look back it’s a 50/50 chance of it being warmer or colder than average. Personally I think we  are due for a good deep freeze winter. Last year was supposed to be a La Niña winter
which should bring cool temps to us, but what we had was another shortened warm winter in central Iowa. 2009-2010 was an El Niño winter and it was one of the coldest and snowiest on record, and if I remember right the fall that year was very similar to this. Snow pack in Canada and the northern US will greatly affect winter as well. There are too many variables to quantify, winter will come, I just hope it gets here and stays. If it doesn’t come to us then I may have to take a few more trips north!

I feel like we had a pretty cold winter in central Iowa.

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 15, 2018, 06:23 PM »

Offline RGR175

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Oct 15, 2018, 07:39 PM »
SOON!
My bibs are right there on the shelf on the top of my closet, so every day I look at them. Looked at them the other day when it cooled off and said . . . soon!

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 15, 2018, 08:02 PM »
IceAddict87, ice didn't leave lakes here until late April this past spring. April 27th-29th, 4 to 5 days of temps, high and low below 0, 26"+ of ice, we had a long winter here in N.W. Iowa. Farmers Almanac predicts this winter will be worse.

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 23, 2018, 08:00 PM »
Went to check out a local lake and found a few. The ice can wait !!! All over 10" with lots over 11".

Offline SchlitzBeer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Oct 24, 2018, 01:28 PM »
Nice work Bates!

Offline Bentbolt

• IceShanty Rookie
  • jig jig jig hook
« Reply #23 on: Oct 24, 2018, 02:28 PM »
bates nice catch. i haven't caught any perch in a bout 20 years. been since getting back into ice fishing im wanting to find some
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                       l        
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º>                 l
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>     J

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Oct 24, 2018, 06:27 PM »
Took 40 home today,  my standard is anything over 10". 2 buddies today have very different standards, fun messing with them though. Biggest just over 13".

Offline SchlitzBeer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Oct 29, 2018, 09:15 AM »
Northern Iowa? I've found some perch here in central but nothing of size.

Offline artfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Nov 12, 2018, 06:41 AM »
We use our Vexilar's and short rods on soft water as well off  the side of the boat or on a fixed piece of structure with some depth below it. I've stocked up on tungsten jigs as well as Berkeley atomic dog-bones. Put the boat away yesterday. We have some ice on our local ponds. Hate the limbo period till ice is out safely.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.