Author Topic: Cheap ice fishing case alternative?  (Read 2482 times)

Offline Johnny5dime

• IceShanty Rookie
Cheap ice fishing case alternative?
« on: Apr 02, 2018, 07:20 PM »
Anyone do this? Bought one at scheels for 72 and plan on cutting it out to mimic fishing innovations.

What’s everyone’s thoughts

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Cheap ice fishing case alternative?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2018, 09:09 PM »
Did the same thing begining of this ice season. Got 3 thin plano trays, a large clam spoon box, biggest jig box i could find, one of those gray clam ice tackle boxes, and six rods to fit in mine. Works fine but its pretty heavy

Offline Johnny5dime

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2018, 09:13 PM »
That’s what I’m considering as well is the weight. I think the innovations one is heavy as well. I might take it back and stick with my scheels soft case.

I really like the idea of putting everything in it though and easy access to all. I don’t plan on carrying it a lot though either. Kind of torn

Offline TheCaveman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2018, 10:08 AM »
i just use an ht "4" rod case that i won at a fishing derby the first year i started ice fishing, currently have 6 rods with rod socks on them, could easily fit 2 more in (might be able to get 10 rods total in the main compartment if i used rods with different sized handles and smaller reels on them) in it and 2 jig boxes in one side (the 2 compartment scheels outfitters ones, so they have 4 sections of foam slits for jigs) one for glow and one for non glow, and in that same side i have some open compartment small plano boxes for my spoons and rat-l-traps, in the other side i have my clam bait pucks, one for mummy worms, and one for live waxies, and like 4 of the bigger jars of crappie nibbles, then a jar of berkley fake grubs, and a jar of pink berkley powerbait grubs, and of course all of my bags of plastics from mtb because apparently 6 full bags of plastics are essentiall for one month of ice fishing, wow i got really in depth with this
~Good Luck~

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2018, 02:59 PM »
ice inovations will be much heavier i think. Ive never seen one in person but when i was looking i decided on the plano 42" tactical because i thought it'd be lighter and not as bulky but would have the same benefits.

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2018, 09:37 PM »
I use an arrow box from the archery dept.   foam inserts to keep the arrows apart works well to put the rod blanks in.  $20.00

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Apr 07, 2018, 03:11 PM »

A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Johnny5dime

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Apr 07, 2018, 03:16 PM »

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Apr 08, 2018, 08:17 AM »
looks to be the eagle claw hard case.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Apr 08, 2018, 11:52 AM »
What case is that?
Eagle Claw, I have 2. 1 for jig rods(6) and several cases and one for my dead stick rods and finicky foolers. the Eagle claw is $49 and holds more than the innovation or the above video with no work and cheaper.

Offline Johnny5dime

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Apr 09, 2018, 12:38 PM »
Ya after seeing a pic of it with rods, i like it.

I'm unable to find any for sale, so might have to wait.

Ill keep my plano case for my rifle and break down the barrel.

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Apr 09, 2018, 02:04 PM »
You would be wrong about holding more than the innovation case those three cases on the left side are standing vertical. The vortex diamondbacks 10x42 are standing vertical in the left opening between the three cases and the yellow case. The inside has plenty of room for more cases under the rods

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Apr 09, 2018, 05:49 PM »
You would be wrong about holding more than the innovation case those three cases on the left side are standing vertical. The vortex diamondbacks 10x42 are standing vertical in the left opening between the three cases and the yellow case. The inside has plenty of room for more cases under the rods

Very nice rod cases just 3x the price and no advantage over the eagle claw 6 rods, 7 tackle cases, and my Marcum!

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Apr 09, 2018, 09:40 PM »
I see you have to fold in the handles of your spinning reels also mine comes with 4 tackle storage containers  which you had to buy separately. I can store my 12 volt american angler fillet knife as well as a 12 volt lithium sla battery. I can store hand warmers, binoculars, leatherman, handheld gps, extra gloves , and can run over mine with my 4 wheeler. all that safety is worth the extra dollars.
but your right the innovation is a nice case for 139$ but its not for everyone, i didn't need two cases for 12 rods plus 15 tackles boxes when i only need 6 rods and 4 tackles boxes.
At the time when I was looking at rod lockers I looked at the otter, frabill, clam, plano, or eagle claw, I went with a rod locker which has an almost cult like following because unless you have seen one in person then you wouldn't know what makes this rod locker different. There isn't much for online for reviews so I was lucky enough to see one in person to know that this was the case for me.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Apr 10, 2018, 02:08 PM »
You have half the protection at best in the eagle claw cases with the wimpy foam they put in them no comparison to the ice innovations case. The jimmy rigged plano might fit less than the eagle claw  (I dont think so if done the way i did it) but can be bought on sale for $40 and you dont have to worry about stuff moving in the case.

Offline Johnny5dime

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Apr 10, 2018, 02:16 PM »
Weber are u able to post a pic of urs? I feel like 6 Rods thing will get tight. I’ve tried determine how to do it and haven’t found a good way.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Apr 11, 2018, 09:03 AM »
everything locks down nice, fell out of my sled while being pulled by sled, no damage and everything stayed in place. You can stand on the case with no damage. My only worry is clasps when cold but so far so good. I love the innovation, my friend has it but at over 3x the cost I can always find something else to spend money on for the same purpose. ( got my Eagle claws for $39 each!) I have seen them in use side by side and very little difference, this is an honest review.

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Apr 11, 2018, 11:35 AM »
One thing about the innovation is it's weight empty it's 20 pound I will have to check out the eagle claw for a cheaper alternative that I can use when early or late ice. Where less wieght can be an advantage
Papasky how is the spacing between the rods can I keep the rods rigged like my innovation, I do see that you do have to break down the handles on the spinning reels but if I can keep my rods rigged it could be a good alternative.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Apr 11, 2018, 05:09 PM »
I keep mine rigged and its not a problem. The foam inserts are completely adjustable. The case only weighs 6.6 lbs. I didn't realize the Innovation is 20 LNS ! That's what my auger is!

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Apr 11, 2018, 06:30 PM »
Lol yes 20 pounds but I build custom rods so my rod reel combos would easily surpass 1200 dollars. Plus 4 tackle with 2 to 3 hundred dollars of lures, 250 $ binocs, 400$ plus magellan hand-held gps with all my waypts,12v american angler, lithium battery, extra gloves, needle nose pliers, wax worm big puck  and hand warmers.
There is still more room for a few smaller vexilar boxes but it is over fifty pounds with everything in it.
I love it for the durability but I would like a lighter rod case like I said before.
I will have to check it out.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Apr 12, 2018, 08:22 PM »
my rods arent set up much different than the video. I'm glad the eagle claw works for you papa sly, i looked at one of the eagle claws and didnt care for it but everyone has different opinions. I build my own rods as well so i like the extra security i get with the plano

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Apr 20, 2018, 10:09 PM »

The American angler fit nicely under the yellow tackle box

Eveything fits nice in this box

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.