Author Topic: 17/18 ice fishing results  (Read 2341 times)

Offline Huber87

• IceShanty Rookie
17/18 ice fishing results
« on: Apr 01, 2018, 01:43 PM »
The ice season has now come to a close, how did everyone do out there this year? I didn't go as much as I did last year but I still spent alot of time on last mountain,  I also fished the quappelle lakes 3 times as well. This season was definitely worse than last year. There was 3 or 4 trips I made and didn't catch a single fish. I stopped going once we got that heavy snow fall in late March, didn't feel like getting stuck for only catching 1 or 2 fish if I was lucky. It was still a good uear regardless of what was caught. Would love to hear from others on there thoughts for this season. Take care

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 17/18 ice fishing results
« Reply #1 on: Apr 01, 2018, 02:54 PM »
Huber,

Good idea to do the season wrap up survey. Here is what I can offer to your summary:

Brightwater: 4 trips, no fish
Bradwell: 5 trips, no fish
Zelma: 1 trip, nothing (as usual for me)
Delwood: 1 visit, one walleye
Blackstrap: a few perch on 4 - 5 outings
Last Mountain: slow for perch and walleye off Etter's, TTT, and Collingwood. Things picked up for pike towards the end of the year.
Diefenbaker: our best results by far. We didn't try it until late February and always found enough perch, walleye, burbot and rainbows to make the trips worth it.

I'll admit some of the reservoir excursions didn't last very long, but they are close to home, and I always think of things I could and should be doing at home if there is no obvious bite going on. On the whole, this season was significantly less successful than last. We employed more technology, but caught fewer fish overall. My surefire lure of the last two years (Buckshot perch pattern) was out
fished by a Northlands live forage flutter spoon by a long shot. Dead sticking was the only way to go some days. i also became a fan of a single hook approach to fishing smelts on tip ups. The fish got hooked better than on the double treble pike harnesses, and were a lot easier to release.

Offline HARRYFISHBALLS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2018, 06:21 PM »
 over in AB i managed to get out 6-7 times and overall the fishing was slow. Biggest pike 26lbs,biggest perch 13",biggest walleye 4lbs.The prior yr i had much better luck and i have about 6 contacts province wide and its been slow all over.

Offline Huber87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2018, 09:51 PM »
From all the posts on here from various saskatchewan lakes this year it seemed that most always had slow days, mid January was where I had the best days and seemed all of February I couldn't catch very much, I marked fish like crazy but nothing would bite.

Offline bite-me7

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pour me another one
« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2018, 10:20 PM »
This winter was our best walleye fishing by far! Went out 7 or 8 times and between 2 of us we usually iced 30-40 eyes, mostly small throwbacks though!  Perch were weren’t as populated but the ones we caught were 10+ inches! Next up, April trout!

Offline drg2014

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2018, 08:17 AM »
I did pretty well this year. I made it out 41 times this year, broke a few personal bests in Lake Trout and Rainbow Trout and caught more White Suckers this year than I have in the past 20 years. I was able to break the rut and fish a few new locations and land some great fish. I did have a few bad days, but the great days made up for them.  Last Mountain Lake was tougher this year, but still productive. This was my best year for quantity of Walleye, and my worst for pike. 

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #6 on: Apr 03, 2018, 06:04 PM »
I ice fished 19 times this winter mostly at Last Mountain and caught fish every outing except for 1 skunk day at Humboldt Lake.
 Lots of big pike this year up to 25 lbs. 5 Walleye over 7.5 lbs lots of my fav fish yellow perch. Summer was good to me as well but I never kept track of my catches. I keep a few perch and the odd Walleye and pike in the summer the rest go back in the lake. All trout go back. Love to catch em but not on the table for me.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Apr 06, 2018, 10:32 AM »
Made it out on one trip all winter at the end of the season. Fishing was decent the 3 days I fished but ended up icing my heaviest pike to date. 50 inches, 36 pounds so was a good way to end off the season

Offline KenH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Apr 06, 2018, 08:58 PM »
Made it out on one trip all winter at the end of the season. Fishing was decent the 3 days I fished but ended up icing my heaviest pike to date. 50 inches, 36 pounds so was a good way to end off the season
[

When those 30 lbers come out of the hole they put a whole new meaning on big pike. I have been fortunate over the years to get 4 of them and it certainly doesn't get old. Congrats on the monster

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Apr 07, 2018, 09:49 AM »
Thanks Ken, yeah it never gets old does it. This one was a really old fish, a bit beat up but still a really nice fish.

Made sure she was only out of the hole for a few seconds then back in she went to fight another day, she was right full of eggs. She gave a big kick as soon as I put her back in so was a great release. Hopefully someonelse can enjoy her in the future.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.