Author Topic: DIY 1 lb propane canister filling  (Read 15610 times)

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
Re: DIY 1 lb propane canister filling
« Reply #60 on: Oct 29, 2018, 03:40 PM »
Anyone figure the breakeven on getting the Flame King, vs just buying 1lb tanks new?  I dont use that many in a year.....so just wondering....and im lazy not doing the math.....if nobody else has, maybe I'll get to it.....

Offline VenomInjected

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Oct 29, 2018, 04:35 PM »
Well.... I will try to "normalize" this for everyone in the group...

The Flameking kit costs $39.99 across a variety of venders (yes you can save or spend a few bucks in each direction pending location/tax)

The flame king kit comes with 1 - 1# tank also.   For me to use my buddy portable for 2 days straight of fishing (1 weekend sat/sunday) I would need 2 -1lb tanks per day in order to burn 12 hours straight.

I would need 4 tanks to last a weekend without "access to my home base 20# tank."

Additional flameking tanks are $12.99 each (again prices vary... I took the average).

$39.99 for the kit... + 3 additional tanks (12.99 x 3) = $78.96 for the kit and 4 tanks total.

A coleman 1# twinpack averages around $6.50  (again most common pricing and the most common way sold... as a twin pack).

Cost vs. cost its 12 twin packs (24-1# bottles) to break even on just overhead.....

In doing so you would also go through 24# of propane on your "home base refillable 20# tank"  (most tanks are only filled to 15-17#.

1.5 exchanges  -  20 lb tank will hold about 4.7 gallons of propane. That is $18.47 at $3.93/gal.    18.47 x 1.5 = $27.71

An additional 27.71 of cost would buy an additional 4-twinpacks (27.71/$6.50)

At a quantity of somewhere between 28 to 32  -  1lb propane tanks do you "start" pulling a margin.

Now the ability to refill at 10PM the night before a trip without having to run into down to buy more coleman twinpacks also has value.

$39.99 for the kit... + 3 additional tanks (12.99 x 3) = $78.96
+ 1.5 refills to make up the overhead filling  cost = $27.71

= $106.67     

$106.67 / $6.50 twin pack = 16 twin packs or 32-1lb propane tanks

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #62 on: Oct 29, 2018, 06:33 PM »
Well.... I will try to "normalize" this for everyone in the group...

The Flameking kit costs $39.99 across a variety of venders (yes you can save or spend a few bucks in each direction pending location/tax)

The flame king kit comes with 1 - 1# tank also.   For me to use my buddy portable for 2 days straight of fishing (1 weekend sat/sunday) I would need 2 -1lb tanks per day in order to burn 12 hours straight.

I would need 4 tanks to last a weekend without "access to my home base 20# tank."

Additional flameking tanks are $12.99 each (again prices vary... I took the average).

$39.99 for the kit... + 3 additional tanks (12.99 x 3) = $78.96 for the kit and 4 tanks total.

A coleman 1# twinpack averages around $6.50  (again most common pricing and the most common way sold... as a twin pack).

Cost vs. cost its 12 twin packs (24-1# bottles) to break even on just overhead.....

In doing so you would also go through 24# of propane on your "home base refillable 20# tank"  (most tanks are only filled to 15-17#.

1.5 exchanges  -  20 lb tank will hold about 4.7 gallons of propane. That is $18.47 at $3.93/gal.    18.47 x 1.5 = $27.71

An additional 27.71 of cost would buy an additional 4-twinpacks (27.71/$6.50)

At a quantity of somewhere between 28 to 32  -  1lb propane tanks do you "start" pulling a margin.

Now the ability to refill at 10PM the night before a trip without having to run into down to buy more coleman twinpacks also has value.

$39.99 for the kit... + 3 additional tanks (12.99 x 3) = $78.96
+ 1.5 refills to make up the overhead filling  cost = $27.71

= $106.67     

$106.67 / $6.50 twin pack = 16 twin packs or 32-1lb propane tanks

If you have a few green tanks u can fill them with the flame King kit. You just need a hemostat to pull the release valve to get them full. I have 3 milk crates of 1# tanks. So I fill 23 green bombs and the 1 flame King 1lber. I've done this for 3years. I use the 1lbs on my ice shack heaters, Weber tail gate grill and a few other things. Plus I refill the blue tall torch bottles.

Once a green bomb gets rusty toss it and pick up some new empty bottles at the lake when people throw them away.

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Oct 29, 2018, 07:03 PM »
I don't know where you live but $3.93 per gal is WAY HIGH!!!! I purchased LP @ $1.99/ gal to fill my Green's.... Tractor Supply Company will fill your 20lber or whatever cylinders and charge you FOR WHAT THEY PUT IN!!!! Other places charge you for an empty tank @ 20lbs. Now you know a 20lber doesn't accept 20lbs. Only 18ish if you are lucky and possibly 15lbs. Anyone remember the lawsuit for Blue Rhino??? They were charging 20lbs for 15lbs filled. Don't want heavy discussion here but I'd get you some facts. Been filling for years and ZERO problems. If you need newer greens visit your local state park. People leave empties there. Not all are empty................
      Kim :tipup: :icefish: 
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline VenomInjected

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Oct 29, 2018, 07:43 PM »
I don't know where you live but $3.93 per gal is WAY HIGH!!!! I purchased LP @ $1.99/ gal to fill my Green's.... Tractor Supply Company will fill your 20lber or whatever cylinders and charge you FOR WHAT THEY PUT IN!!!!

Tractor supply website "lists" 3.09 is nationwide average on their website for me.... but thats also why I showed my math...  :P :o ;)

So YOU could put in your "local numbers" and calculate yourself   ;D  :P

Either way its pretty simple to just say... 20 to 30 green bombs to break even in this exercise and each person can decide what their annual usage is. 

I go thru 35-40 tanks between having a propane auger and my father and I's heater.... thus it makes sense.

If I used 5-15 tanks per year... it would not.

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Oct 29, 2018, 08:44 PM »
$13.95 including tax for a full #20 refill by me...sorry to hear you're getting such horrible prices on lp

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #66 on: Oct 29, 2018, 09:36 PM »
cost me 11$ because filling one pound cans always left some in it. they charge per pound, not per tank.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Dec 09, 2018, 07:49 AM »
I just stated facts and forwarded information that others may find useful. My apologies that you seem super sensitive and that these facts upset you or could it just be,

P.S.;  I passed on useful information about the Flame king Refillable cylinders also  ;)
And as for Anhydrous Ammonia,  I spent 5 hours standing in the rain with the HAZMAT team, DCI, Fire Dept and, Sheriffs department because it was suspected that some intelligent entrepreneur put it in a couple 20# grill cylinders. Let me tell you first hand  NOBODY was thrilled to touch those cylinders!!!!!!

Ah, I see you've dealt with the "know it all" on here as well. 

Don't take it personally, he (?) does that to everybody he disagrees with...
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #68 on: Dec 09, 2018, 11:06 AM »
i for one am super glad gasman707 and esox slayer spoke up and educated us more about lpg. because of this topic it has served as a safety report of sorts and many of us are now using the flame king refill system. we even have a sticky because of this information.
thanks so much guys! if it saves just one life it is worth it.

flame king says never leave the source tank upside down for over 10 minutes. it must be how to keep the oils and sediment the source tank may hold from getting into the refill tanks.

Offline russelln114

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Dec 15, 2018, 05:56 PM »
Dealing with drug dealers and manufacturers that put anhydrous in containers they were never meant to be in is a heck of a lot different then refilling containers a product was meant to be in.

I'm tired of some soap box person scaring people half to death on doing something that is perfectly ok to do using scare tactics about stuff.

Sure the containers were meant to have propane in them however they were never built to be refilled. Do what you want. I choose to follow good advice. I just received my flame king kit. The tanks are well built. Now that's a tank that can be refilled. Just remember it only takes once.

Offline russelln114

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Dec 15, 2018, 06:07 PM »
i for one am super glad gasman707 and esox slayer spoke up and educated us more about lpg. because of this topic it has served as a safety report of sorts and many of us are now using the flame king refill system. we even have a sticky because of this information.
thanks so much guys! if it saves just one life it is worth it.

flame king says never leave the source tank upside down for over 10 minutes. it must be how to keep the oils and sediment the source tank may hold from getting into the refill tanks.

x2

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Dec 15, 2018, 06:43 PM »
Long story short. Do what you are comfortable doing. This subject has been on-going for years. I don't take it lightly refilling 1lber's. Some people with less experience may have troubles so do what you are comfortable doing as stated and go from there............
      Kim :tipup:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Smelt 63

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Save sume for seed
« Reply #72 on: Dec 17, 2018, 07:29 PM »
It must have something to do with the safety valve.  ???

The weight I used to check the refilled canisters was just under 2 lbs. I had checked 4 brand new Coleman canisters and the full weight was an average of 1 lb 15.2 ounces.
The past few years I had been using the Mac adapter and couldn't get the canisters past 2/3 full even when freezing the bottles. This is a much more efficient process.
How much do you have tied up in that and wood you make it up for some one else.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #73 on: Dec 18, 2018, 02:23 AM »
Just use a 5# tank and a hose and be done with it. Local propane dealer can refill it and you won't have to dispose of those green bombs.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #74 on: Dec 18, 2018, 09:32 AM »
the main thing about this thread is to stop refilling 1 pound disposable tanks. the op said they were not available (recalled for 2 brass fill valves became loose because flame king forgot to use loc-tight on the threads and no one was injured) when he built his refill kit, but that he wanted the flame king system. it is now available to all of us.

here's a good way to look at some math on recovering your costs that last for 12 years or more. they are certified for 12 years.
i use up to 4 1 pound tanks in a long day. if you pay 4$ for those tanks you have over 16$ into them. the flame king tanks can be bought for 12$ at menards with rebate. that means for every day i fish it would cost me the price of one flame king tank and be able to fill it about 8 times or more with the 4$ left over from the disposable cans cost.
and the disposable tanks are a hazmat issue when disposing them.
the gas in the disposable tank would cost about 50 cents tops, so you spent 16$ to burn 2$ worth of gas and wasted the remaining 14$ that could buy the flame king bottle. times how ever many days/weeks/months/years you go.

we have heard stories where the disposable 1 pound tank safety valve was venting inside a moving vehicle and the driver was smoking. the 1 pound disposable was over filled and after being in the heated vehicle it vented gas inside of it.

i have had the fill valves leak on them after refilling.
remember you are filling these outside and after the season is over they are still full and then the heat of summer gets to them or the heat of your vehicle or the heat in your shelter and you may have a problem if over filled or a fill valve or safety valve become faulty like has happened to myself.

Just use a 5# tank and a hose and be done with it. Local propane dealer can refill it and you won't have to dispose of those green bombs.
if it works for you that's great. not reusing the disposable tanks is huge. the reason you say use a larger tank is because it is certified refillable for so many years.
many of us are now using the flame king system that is certified for refilling.
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=361359.0

besides the safety and legal issues with refilling disposable tanks, here is why i am using certified refillable1 pound tanks;
my lpg lantern takes 1 pound tanks only. the tank is it's base/stand.
my mr heater little buddy takes 1 pound tank only. the tank is it's base/stand.
my micro cooker takes 1 pound tank only. the tank is it's base/stand.
my torch uses 1 pound tanks.
my grills side burner uses 1 pound tanks.

the 1 pound tanks are too convenient to stop using them and necessary for me.
plus i can fill 1 pound certified tanks when i want them filled at my convenience. i work with 2 20 pound tanks so i always have lpg on the ready. i also like the base of the flame king tanks. it is just like all the other refillable lpg tanks.

Offline topwaterbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #75 on: Dec 18, 2018, 09:23 PM »
X2

My heater runs all day on high without the need to change out one pound tanks. I don't have to spend the time off the ice to refill the 4 or 5 one pound tanks either.

But like 3300 said they do have there place. I want a couple for emergency home heating.

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Dec 18, 2018, 10:30 PM »
So what happens when you fish all day Saturday and use, IDK, 4lbs of your 5lb tank?? What do you do come Sunday with 1lb left in that 5lber? Do you have to run to the propane store for a refill? Do you have a second 5lb tank? Do you run it empty and bring a whole other 5lb with??

The nice thing about the Flame King 1lbers is that I can fill a 2-4 in about 5-10 minutes in my garage.  I actually also have a 5lb tank that I haven't used in years. The last time I filled it I was charged almost the same price as a 20lb tank. 

X2

My heater runs all day on high without the need to change out one pound tanks. I don't have to spend the time off the ice to refill the 4 or 5 one pound tanks either.

But like 3300 said they do have there place. I want a couple for emergency home heating.

Offline VenomInjected

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Dec 19, 2018, 08:44 AM »
I have a 5# tank.... for the reasons above (convenience etc... I no longer use the 5# tank).

I also have a propane auger... the 5# won't fit  :)

I have 2 20# tanks... I love never having to worry about making an errands run into town to walmart or the Co-Op to fill tanks for the entire season.

I would never go back to disposables or hauling large tanks ever again.

My Otter XTH Hub and Mr Buddy 9k can run all day HOT on 2 tanks.  (12 hours of straight burn time on Low).  I have to have a window open all day.

5 minutes later... without burning any extra gas running into town.. My tanks are filled again.

Offline topwaterbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Dec 20, 2018, 06:23 PM »
So what happens when you fish all day Saturday and use, IDK, 4lbs of your 5lb tank?? What do you do come Sunday with 1lb left in that 5lber? Do you have to run to the propane store for a refill? Do you have a second 5lb tank? Do you run it empty and bring a whole other 5lb with??

The nice thing about the Flame King 1lbers is that I can fill a 2-4 in about 5-10 minutes in my garage.  I actually also have a 5lb tank that I haven't used in years. The last time I filled it I was charged almost the same price as a 20lb tank.
I can heat my one man flip on low so it would last two days . If I'm in the hub I bring out the 11# with the big buddy which will also last two days. I think the 1# Flame king tanks are great and I plan on getting some.

Offline gasman707

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold is a state of mind!!
« Reply #79 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:05 PM »
Ah, I see you've dealt with the "know it all" on here as well. 

Don't take it personally, he (?) does that to everybody he disagrees with...

Once again in this topic,  I stated no personal opinion on filling the 1lb cylinders,  I called no names and only provided factual information that can not be proven wrong. My only intent was to help others make an educated decision for themselves.

You are welcome, maybe someday you can return the favor.
P.S. here is another fact; I won’t be holding my breath in anticipation

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.