Author Topic: Fuel Leak Strikemaster Solo  (Read 6927 times)

Offline JasonBart

• IceShanty Rookie
Fuel Leak Strikemaster Solo
« on: Jan 10, 2016, 10:31 AM »
I have a Strukemaster Solo. 40.7cc. It is leaking fuel from the tank. It leaks while running and while being primed. I checked the line to the primer and it appears to be secure. I could see air bubble from around the black grommet on the side of the tank where the fuel line and breather line exit the tank. I believe the grommet has somehow gone bad. New tank? Does the grommet come as an assembly with new lines?  Does anyone add some type of sealant to the grommet? Thanks

Offline maxmartens

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Fuel Leak Strikemaster Solo
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2016, 10:56 AM »
Yep same thing happend to mine. Use some two part epoxy and glues around where the lines and the grommet were on the tank. Good as new and cheap!

Offline BH ICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2016, 05:05 PM »
Here is an older post on Strikemaster Augers leaking. Sounds like there might be replacement grommet available.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=271215.0

Offline Hambone77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2016, 05:57 AM »
That grommet has probably dry rotted. Check out drock. They'll have a replacement for cheap.

Offline Hambone77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2016, 06:02 AM »
Ethanol in fuel is hard on fuel lines and grommets. I think it's a good idea to have these replacement parts on hand. That way you can fish more cuss less

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2016, 04:01 PM »
were is it leaking ?there was some they  made were the wrong type of fuel lines were used .in the cold they shrink a little and come off.strikemaster sent me all 3 lines for free.but this has nothing to do with the grommets.

Offline maximus4444

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2018, 08:49 AM »
Digging up and old thread here...

Strikemaster Magnum - Solo 137

My rubber grommet dry rotted and now my gas tank leaks.  I ordered a new one from D-Rock.  Is it as simple as I think it is to replace it?  Or do I need to apply anything to the rubber grommet before I install it? 

I don't want to over think the replacement.  But just want to know if there's something I should know.  Anyone ever replace this part? 

http://www.drockicecenter.com/solo-137-142-154-tank-grommet/

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2018, 08:58 AM »
Jason/max,
I’m picking mine up from the shop today...same problem. I’ll let you know if there’s something extra you need to do when replacing the grommet. Also check the fuel lines and filter. I suggest ethanol-free fuel or Tru-fuel, and to add Seafoam when you store it. Also, epoxy is just a temporary fix as the fuel with eventually eat it up. Back at you soon. Ski
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2018, 09:06 AM »
Yep. Just install and you're good. DO leave gas in the tank for off season storage and it will keep that grommet pliable. Otherwise you risk it drying out (again) and may as well order a case of replacements. This problem has nothing to do with ethanol.

It's been my practice to leave all gas tanks and lines full for storage these days. Just make sure there's a fuel stabilizer in the mix. For 2 cycles  I add lots of extra oil to the last use and run 'er till it smokes like a fog machine and choke it dead. When new season comes, pour that oily gas into a big can to dilute (you can use it in snowblower, lawn tractor, whatever), replace the spark plug and things should be golden.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2018, 11:14 AM »
Jason/max,
You shouldn’t have to add any kind of lube to install the grommet, use something that doesn’t eat the rubber. Also, be sure to clean around the grommet hole to get rid of any debris or gunk. Should be good to go! Ski

Offline maximus4444

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2018, 12:22 PM »
Jason/max,
You shouldn’t have to add any kind of lube to install the grommet, use something that doesn’t eat the rubber. Also, be sure to clean around the grommet hole to get rid of any debris or gunk. Should be good to go! Ski

Good to know.  I wasn't sure if I should apply a thin layer of oil to the grommet or not.  But we'll see how it goes.  The part is on the way.  I'll post my results back here.

Offline maximus4444

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2018, 02:20 PM »
Okay, I got the grommet.  Removed the old one, ran the lines through the new one and seated it on the tank.  There isn't a leak anymore.

However, my auger still won't start.  I can run it off of carb cleaner sprayed directly into the carb.  I just got new gas and oil today.  I mixed it to 40:1.  Everything seems right.  I'm assuming that the engine just must not be getting gas. 

Any ideas?

Offline maximus4444

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2018, 03:12 PM »
The carb looks clean. I’m curious about the fuel filter. I’m wondering what it should feel like. It feels pretty solid. I’m wondering if it needed to be stored with fuel in the tank. I’m pretty sure I’ve never had problems storing it dry... until this year.

Anyone else Java’s a fuel filter that went bad?  What are the signs?

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2018, 03:14 PM »
Is there a way to bypass the filter to see if it runs?

Offline maximus4444

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2018, 04:27 PM »
Good question, I’ll see if I can remove the filter and run it to see if that’s the problem.

*i shoulda thought of that already. Geez.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2018, 09:56 PM »
Did you get it to run? Just curious.

Offline maximus4444

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2018, 07:54 AM »
I did!  And man,  I was very pleased I don't have to take it to a shop.  Probably would have costed me $100+ if someone worked on it. 

Well, the rubber grommet was leaking.  The fuel filter was bad.  But I don't think those issues were causing the engine to not start.  The line that runs from the primer bulb to the carb was completely dry-rotted/shredded.  If I flexed that line, you could see clear through it.  I went to my local Ace Hardware and found a similar line.  I think it took 3 pulls with the new line on. 

The grommet was $3.50 + $10 (shipping).
The fuel filter was $3.00
The gas line was $1.47

Just goes to show that a little "troubleshooting" can go a lot farther than you might think.  I don't have much experience on small engines (or even large ones for that matter).  But you should try and fix it yourself if you can

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2018, 07:56 AM »
Thanks for sharing your info and congrats on getting it fixed!

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2018, 08:05 AM »
Well done maximus! Glad to hear you got it done. Ski

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2018, 09:00 AM »
Fuel system tip: When I have suspect fuel line I replace with Tygon. More flexible (even in lower temps), doesn't dry out or degrade like rubber or vinyl, is clear(ish) so you can see if you're getting fuel at least "that far". Downside: a little more expensive, maybe twice the cost of regular fuel line. For me, the peace of mind in the maintenance free replacement is worth it.

Plus the yellow-green line looks really cool on your auger...  ::)  ;D
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.