New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread  (Read 429269 times)

Offline Fishmarket

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread
« Reply #2310 on: Mar 12, 2019, 05:42 PM »
I wont go any further into the situation other than it was caught at 2 am. was just curious if anyone has caught the lighter ones because I had never seen one from schroon
AM

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2311 on: Mar 12, 2019, 05:58 PM »
As long as life is good and we catch fish,  who care wat color the pull on my rod.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2312 on: Mar 12, 2019, 05:58 PM »
When I went up early in the season a guy walked out with 2 trout in his sled. One was a little dark and the other one looked just like Lakers out of lg. Not as green but just as white. When he took the fish up was it dead or alive ? It would be a lot of work to jig up a good fish and transport it alive.

Offline MJB518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2313 on: Mar 12, 2019, 06:17 PM »
When I went up early in the season a guy walked out with 2 trout in his sled. One was a little dark and the other one looked just like Lakers out of lg. Not as green but just as white. When he took the fish up was it dead or alive ? It would be a lot of work to jig up a good fish and transport it alive.

I have no idea if it was dead or alive when weighed in. Clearly I'm not the only 1 to not catch a fish with those colors on Schroon. The guys buddy appears to be questioning/wondering about it also. Congrats to the kid for catching it. 

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2314 on: Mar 12, 2019, 06:19 PM »
I have no idea if it was dead or alive when weighed in. Clearly I'm not the only 1 to not catch a fish with those colors on Schroon. The guys buddy appears to be questioning/wondering about it also. Congrats to the kid for catching it.

You certainly are not.  Also depending on how a fish is handled after being caught it is not uncommon for the colors to wash out.  Specifically on the side of the fish laying on the ice or if the fish bleeds out.

Great shots RJ. 

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2315 on: Mar 12, 2019, 06:25 PM »
Don’t most tournaments require a live weight in?  I don’t fish many but the ones i did fish did. If someone came in with a dead froze fish I wouldn’t think they would allow it to be entered

Offline MJB518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2316 on: Mar 12, 2019, 06:26 PM »
You certainly are not.  Also depending on how a fish is handled after being caught it is not uncommon for the colors to wash out.  Specifically on the side of the fish laying on the ice or if the fish bleeds out.

Great shots RJ.

In the words of Chris carter...."cmon man"
Definitely is not the case here.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2317 on: Mar 12, 2019, 06:41 PM »
didnt we go through the same kind of argument last year or the year before last, about the winning pike?

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2318 on: Mar 12, 2019, 07:09 PM »
In the words of Chris carter...."cmon man"
Definitely is not the case here.

Don't care.

Offline Fishmarket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2319 on: Mar 12, 2019, 07:24 PM »
didnt we go through the same kind of argument last year or the year before last, about the winning pike?

I believe last year and the year before the same guy took the pike category with about the same size fish and there was controversy on here.  The boy who won lake trout this year, his younger brother won the year before.  I didn't mean to start anything just wondering about light colored lakers in schroon.
AM

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2320 on: Mar 12, 2019, 07:33 PM »
Again,  just myself but I've personally never caught or been with anyone who has a chrome,  silver , laker on that lake.  Not saying their not there,  the salmon are definitely silver.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2321 on: Mar 12, 2019, 07:42 PM »
Sounds shady, can’t really be a fair tournament if your allowed to turn In frozen fish. 

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2322 on: Mar 12, 2019, 08:00 PM »
Honestly the color of the gills could have proven if the fish was transported or caught recently.

Offline Fishmarket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2323 on: Mar 13, 2019, 02:13 PM »
Don’t most tournaments require a live weight in?  I don’t fish many but the ones i did fish did. If someone came in with a dead froze fish I wouldn’t think they would allow it to be entered

Its kind of hard to weigh in a live fish when the weigh in station isn't right on the lake.  Also if your running tip ups which most do during derbies, you cant leave them unattended so essentially you would have to pick everything up to go weigh in the fish. 
AM

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2324 on: Mar 13, 2019, 02:19 PM »
It’s not that hard. Just make a live well. Or cooler full of water. Just another reason why I don’t fish with tip ups. Lol.

Offline snowlt14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2325 on: Mar 13, 2019, 06:18 PM »
Fished the south end this morning and did pretty well with the lakers. Landed 3 on tip ups set in 15-30 feet of water. Also had many hollowers on a jig but couldn’t connect. Lakers would chase the bait  5-10 feet then shoot back to the bottom. The group also landed and pike and perch, overall a decent morning. Still plenty of ice and the warm up will help us walkers taking care of the snow still on top. Planning on coming back up next week and giving it one more shot.

Offline Fishmarket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2326 on: Mar 14, 2019, 06:36 AM »
Just another reason why I don’t fish with tip ups. Lol.

You don't fish with tip ups because you don't want to pick up to weigh in a fish?  How many tournaments do you fish?
AM

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2327 on: Mar 14, 2019, 09:06 AM »
You don't fish with tip ups because you don't want to pick up to weigh in a fish?  How many tournaments do you fish?

I don’t fish many tournaments. I’m just not a fan of tip ups. I like keeping mobile,hole hopping with a jigging rod maybe 1 or 2 jaw jackers . Setting up a bunch of tip ups and sitting around untill a fish hits isn’t really my style.

Offline Brucebob7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2328 on: Mar 14, 2019, 05:29 PM »
Any Update on how much snow is on the ice want to bring the kids out this weekend   thanks

Offline FishnChef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2329 on: Mar 14, 2019, 06:50 PM »
None

Offline Fishmongerlyndon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2330 on: Mar 15, 2019, 09:00 AM »
 I caught these Two fish on the south end on the same day this past january, in fact out of the 8 i landed 3 were light colored like the one pictured.

Offline BlackH2O

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2331 on: Mar 16, 2019, 05:10 PM »
Does anyone know the current ice conditions for Schroon lake? Want to head up this week if still safe.

Offline BlackH2O

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2332 on: Mar 18, 2019, 10:23 AM »
Does anyone know the current ice conditions for Schroon lake? Want to head up this week if still safe.

As of Sunday 3/17, still plenty of ice with no snow or slush on top. Shoreline had ice then water then solid ice under it. Fish were finicky.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2333 on: Mar 18, 2019, 06:04 PM »
I caught these Two fish on the south end on the same day this past january, in fact out of the 8 i landed 3 were light colored like the one pictured.

Great comparison shots.  Keep in mind, if you won that derby...your a liar until proven innocent even if you are a kid!

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2334 on: Sep 18, 2019, 07:16 PM »
With these cold mornings I feel like pulling the tip ups out and making new leaders.   

Offline DerekF_17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2335 on: Dec 03, 2019, 06:06 PM »
Chances Schroon is fishable by Xmas?

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2336 on: Dec 03, 2019, 06:17 PM »
Got a boat ? It probably be fishable.
I'm not that close to give eyes on views but besides having big balls, we shoot for new year's and it seems we end up on smaller waters near by.
There is a chance though..

Offline Mikey Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2337 on: Dec 03, 2019, 08:27 PM »
last year we were on schroon the weekend of december 15th so im hoping b4 xmas😎😎😎

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2338 on: Dec 04, 2019, 05:59 AM »
In exceptional years the lake starts freezing Dec 16-18th, and fishable north end by Christmas. Looking at some long range forecasts I'm seeing cold, but not super cold. So the process up here is to fish the smaller lakes and ponds locally while waiting for Schroon to freeze.  Heck, on the way to my hunting spot over a week ago there were guys fishing a pike pond. Those places have been frozen for 3 weeks now.
Tony

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2339 on: Dec 04, 2019, 12:18 PM »
In exceptional years the lake starts freezing Dec 16-18th, and fishable north end by Christmas. Looking at some long range forecasts I'm seeing cold, but not super cold. So the process up here is to fish the smaller lakes and ponds locally while waiting for Schroon to freeze.  Heck, on the way to my hunting spot over a week ago there were guys fishing a pike pond. Those places have been frozen for 3 weeks now.

Happy new season Tony.  You have eyes everywhere!  They didn't successfully capture a pike.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.