The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: What's the best Ice suit?  (Read 7770 times)

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: What's the best Ice suit?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 13, 2018, 05:12 PM »
Is the striker suit a coast guard approved flotation device? Personally I like my frabil set because it is.
.          No it’s not, but I wonder why it is by far the leading ice suit in the business?? Must be a lot of guys, think so also. If it floats, and numerous guy can attest to this, why is coast guard approved that important. There are prolly many restrictions to meet to be coast gaurs approved. Like getting something approved by the fda, many things that have been used for years they will not approve.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Nov 13, 2018, 11:05 PM »
If you go in, either suit will keep you bobbing long enough to either get yourself out, or you’ll be dead from hypothermia before you sink, so that’s kind of a push. I really like my StrikerIce Hardwater suit, but that’s just my two cents worth.

This made me LOL  :tipup:

Offline ND_Outdoorsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Nov 19, 2018, 04:53 PM »
I have the Frabill coat and would recommend it to everyone. It is the warmest jacket I have owned and cuts out the wind. I used it on Lake Winnepeg and wouldn't go up there again without it.

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Nov 20, 2018, 07:28 AM »
Just seen in the Bass Pro/ Cabelas ice fishing catalog that they are selling the Striker suit now, I love my suit most the time it is way over warm and have to have the vents open, but on those really cold days/nights it keeps me warm even when I just throw it on over my thermals and head out to check the lines in the middle of the night.  I think my best investment besides my polar tip-ups and Eskimo Auger.

Offline Aqualift

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Nov 20, 2018, 09:07 AM »
 I drove down to the Scheels in Colorado and picked up the Striker Ice Predator suit. I'm very impressed by how warm and lightweight it is. I finally caved into getting a flotation suit, after going through the ice last season. I had ice fished for 30 years without getting wet too. It was the most terrifying experience of my life. Only a stroke of luck saved me. I can't depend on luck the next time.

Jacket runs small and the bibs run large with the Predator line. I went up one size with the jacket and down one with the bibs.

Offline notonmywatch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Nov 26, 2018, 10:25 PM »
I like my Bernie overalls with a fleece jacket and an overcoat.  You can shed the layers if it gets too warm.

Offline Houligan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Nov 29, 2018, 12:12 PM »
After the last season wearing the striker ice climate bibs and jacket I have to say I am impressed. It was interesting watching others getting cold while I was toasty warm. The layered system is great for warmer days being able to adjust level of protection. In the past some have stated the suit was bulky which does not bother me at all. I bought it for the warmth, waterproofing, and flotation. The suit exceeded my expectations.

Cheers!
Houligan

Offline Wyohandscold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Nov 29, 2018, 07:37 PM »
Just got an ice armor extreme advantage suit and so far I have no complaints. Came with a free pair of nice boots too.

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Nov 29, 2018, 08:09 PM »
If you are getting a suit, it is worth paying for the flotation.

If you go through all the way, the first minute you need to focus on getting your breathing under control, after that you have about 10 minutes to get out before you lose your strength. You will lose conciousness within about an hour. Worst case, at least the float suit makes it easier to find your body. That way your family has quick closure instead of waiting weeks or months for you to be found.

The guy we pulled out last winter only survived because he had a float suit on. Otherwise, he would have drown before we got there.

Early season I wear a kokatat dry suit (gortex) over wool long underwear and wear a 25lb vest.

Offline Rainbow1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Nov 30, 2018, 03:53 PM »
If you get the flotation suit, be sure to wear the top as well as the bibs.  You don't want to go through with your butt floating up and your head going under.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.