New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1094474 times)

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Went to back to Diamond Lake yesterday, two yellow and three gills, one yellow and two gills for my friend. Went to Sturgeon Pool today , three yellows , four gills, a pumpkinseed , and lost a huge largemouth at the hole, bent my jig.

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
15 gills jigging and three chain pickerel on tips ups at Chodikee tonight.

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
22 gills, 2 chain pickerel & a largemouth tonight.

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Six gills and a largemouth tonight.

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Slow start tonight but then the dinner bell rang , 22 gills, 2 largemouth & a chain pickerel. Friends got 17 gills, 2 largemouth & a black crappie.

We must be heading into that late ice munching time for the fish, go get em!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Tipup28/Gino ,you are really making the most of this ice fishing season congratulations on all the fish caught during your last few trips.

Steve

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Thanks Steve!
Going to Big Pond tmrw in search of some big browns, hopefully I'll come back with a good report.
Dead this morning only a dink gill. Good luck to everyone this weekend.

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Just got done at Big Pond . Six flags, four hit and drops, one bite off near the hole , and one where the hook popped out near the hole my theory is the fish hit the bottom of the hole and dislodged the hook. Also one 11.5" brown jigging. Slow but beautiful day out.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Big pond has been like that the past few years. Too much pressure and too many fisherman keeping every fish they catch. I pulled up around 8 this morning and already saw 15 cars so we did the trek up to little pond. Had the pond to ourselves and got 2 baby trout and a few decent SM bass that all lived to bite again. That walk up is a killer for these old legs but what a gorgeous place and I will never believe they stock it the same as they do at BP. I had a great day with some pals at White lake last weekend and finally found a few good trout there. Had a good bite between 9 and 11 and then it turned right off for the rest of the day. SB and Toronto have been horrible all ice season and we never even attempted getting out on either.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Miles59

• IceShanty Rookie
Big pond has been like that the past few years. Too much pressure and too many fisherman keeping every fish they catch. I pulled up around 8 this morning and already saw 15 cars so we did the trek up to little pond. Had the pond to ourselves and got 2 baby trout and a few decent SM bass that all lived to bite again. That walk up is a killer for these old legs but what a gorgeous place and I will never believe they stock it the same as they do at BP. I had a great day with some pals at White lake last weekend and finally found a few good trout there. Had a good bite between 9 and 11 and then it turned right off for the rest of the day. SB and Toronto have been horrible all ice season and we never even attempted getting out on either.

Gam

Hey Gary,

I tried to drive up to Little Pond not long ago.  The first gate is open, you drive up the hill, and the 2nd gate is locked.  About how far is little pond from the 2nd gate?

Miles

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hey Gary,

I tried to drive up to Little Pond not long ago.  The first gate is open, you drive up the hill, and the 2nd gate is locked.  About how far is little pond from the 2nd gate?

Miles

Yup we parked at the upper gate and it is just about a mile to the pond and all up hill. Coming back was easier then going up. All Bass on the south shore and the 2 trout came from the deepest middle part. Lots of flags all day long but no fish so I suspect small perch just nibbling.

Gam

Offline Miles59

• IceShanty Rookie
A mile up hill?  Yeah I think I’m gonna have to skip that one!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
A mile up hill?  Yeah I think I’m gonna have to skip that one!

I was with a much younger buddy willing to drag the sled and gear who just had to see what Little Pond was all about. It sure is a pretty pond and it does have good fishing but at 67 years old I got a workout just trudging through the snow dragging my own rear. I will not do it again but Big Pond was very crowded and we would have had to walk across to the opposite side for a place to set up away from all the others. Too much snow on the ice for that kind of drag unless you have a Smitty Sled or a younger mule. I have another 4-5 inches of snow here now and no telling what BP got but it is now switching over to all rain here. Considering the report for this weeks weather it could be a lot of slush for next weekend. Hard to say from here because I live between the Rio and Swinging Bridge but BP is in a completely different climate zone.

Gam

Offline catskills

• IceShanty Rookie
hit yankee lake yesterday trying a few new areas and got skunked. Couldn't get bait yesterday so was just jigging.  Ice was anywhere from 8-12" and even 14" in one of the coves. 

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
hit yankee lake yesterday trying a few new areas and got skunked. Couldn't get bait yesterday so was just jigging.  Ice was anywhere from 8-12" and even 14" in one of the coves.

4 or 5 bait shops close enough to Yankee! Tom's in Fair Oaks, Sportsman's Garage in Cuddebackville, Sports Nuts in Rock Hill, Farm market on 17B across from Wyde Lumber and Agway in Liberty.

Gam

Offline catskills

• IceShanty Rookie
4 or 5 bait shops close enough to Yankee! Tom's in Fair Oaks, Sportsman's Garage in Cuddebackville, Sports Nuts in Rock Hill, Farm market on 17B across from Wyde Lumber and Agway in Liberty.

Gam

thanks but it was because I was short on time with work.  Usually hit Sports nuts on my way from monticello but the parade was going on

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Dave & I fished Chodikee tonight. About 16 gills each, 2 black crappies for Dave , one for me, Dave got a nice largemouth jigging and I got four chain pickerel & a slob largemouth (20" with a 13" girth) on tip ups. Largemouth were released...

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
You do realize the dec advises not eating fish from there because of the boys jail sewer plant

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
44 gills tonight, 33 for my friend.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Tipup28/Gino you are putting in many hours on the ice and catching many fish this season congratulations.

Gamalot glad you had a younger friend with you on the trip to Big-Little pond area to help with the dragging of gear any reason you did not bring your Snow Dog with you on this trip.

Best to all still ice fishing remember the seasons for walleye,northern pike and chain pickerel close this Friday the 15TH. Please keep aware of changing ice conditions with the warmer weather we have been having lately.

Steve

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Tipup28/Gino you are putting in many hours on the ice and catching many fish this season congratulations.

Gamalot glad you had a younger friend with you on the trip to Big-Little pond area to help with the dragging of gear any reason you did not bring your Snow Dog with you on this trip.

Best to all still ice fishing remember the seasons for walleye,northern pike and chain pickerel close this Friday the 15TH. Please keep aware of changing ice conditions with the warmer weather we have been having lately.

Steve

Big and Little pond are designated as "Wild Forest" and no motorized vehicles or devices are allowed. They do overlook gas augers but not chain saws, generators or any other motorized machines. Electric motors are OK.

Gam

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Gamalot thank you for the reply and information on Big and Little ponds  I was not aware of the prohibition of motorized vehicles and devices at both places.
Steve

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Managed 17 gills and a black crappie. 18 gills for my friend.

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Slowed right down only two gills and three largemouth on tip ups. Five gills and a pumpkinseed for my friend. Only two days left , transitioning to open water on Saturday.

Offline catskills

• IceShanty Rookie
got out yesterday on Yankee Lake for a few hours after work.  1 nice large mouth, 5 dink perch and 1 keeper bluegill all jigging.  The bass put up a great fight on that light tackle.  Yankee is a shallower lake with only a few parts reaching 18' and these fish were all hanging around 7-8'.  There was a snowmobiler and quad out there too, I decided to walk to play it safe.  Lake was still ~10" thick but of course slushy

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Does anyone know the ice condition on Superior? I’m thinking about fishing it tomorrow.  It had 10+ inches of ice last week. Im assuming it’s still safe but don’t want to travel 45 minutes for nothing. I know the last couple of days it’s been quite warm. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Tight lines.

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
Went out after work yesterday on my southern Sullivan lake, perch were aggressive and my two largest were both over 14".
Still 10" ice with some standing water and thin slush. Today may be the last, plan on fishing this afternoon into the crappie bite tonight.
Stay safe, see you all next season!

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Ended the ice season Thursday morning at Chodikee with three gills and a largemouth. It was a good season for sure. Ready for the reservoirs & stripers!

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
anyone have update on conditions locally?
was also thinking of heading back to lake George but that is a commitment for crappy ice
updates?

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I don't do Book Face but got a message from a friend about a couple guys fishing White Lake and catching a real slob Brown over 29 inches and over 10 pounds. Probably not a fish story because I know they are in there but very rare to hear of one coming through the ice. Should be on the Sullivan county conservation site.

Gam

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.