Author Topic: Cutting ice with Chainsaws  (Read 28231 times)

Offline fishaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cutting ice with Chainsaws
« on: Nov 09, 2014, 10:19 PM »
 Wondering what you do to prep a chainsaw for cutting ice? Do you use different chain oil, no chain oil? Any tips tricks? Thanks
Go fish.

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
Re: Cutting ice with Chainsaws
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2014, 10:25 PM »
Absolutely no oil........be sure your states laws on hole size,ours is 10" maximum

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2014, 10:27 PM »
You'll be putting oil into the water, which, depending on where you live, can get you nailed with a big fine. It also will rust your chain, clutch, and sprocket, unless you blow it completely out, re-oil all parts, and let it dry INSIDE. I can think of way more reasons NOT to use one to cut ice than I can to do it. Don't do it. Besides, a great way for anyone to fall into the water and maybe suffer catastrophic consequences.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2014, 11:00 PM »
Fishaman, do know what "WET" is ?    You will, for sure after a stunt like that.    I suggest a big warming fire, then you can engage in that Tomfoolery.    :nono:

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2014, 11:20 PM »
Yea, how dare a guy cut a hole for his spearing shack!

It's not something I've done personally but there are plenty of vids on youtube, there's a comment on this one that you don't run any bar oil at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x12df5kDUVE
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline puddy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2014, 11:26 PM »
It's done quite often here in WI for sturgeon spearing season. Saws are set up with a greaser system instead of oil. You also want to run a different chain setup with more links between cutters.
You can't catch fish in the parking lot.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2014, 11:42 PM »
Seems that using the top of the bar would throw the debris/water downwards.     ;)2

Many folks really prefer "DRY" , especially below zero F or -32 C.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2014, 12:12 AM »
Seems that using the top of the bar would throw the debris/water downwards.     ;)2

Many folks really prefer "DRY" , especially below zero F or -32 C.

This^

When your done just bring it inside where its warm and dry, my Stihl hasn't gotten rusty yet..

No oil, among other reasons, it will cause a slick on top and you wont be able to see down the hole very well..

When you running your saw on the ice for the first time of the season, do a bunch of cutting (far away) before you get to your spot. That will flush and clean out your "ice saw" so when you actually get to your spot you hole is nice and clean with no oil slick...

I screw in a T ice anchor before cutting as an aid to lift the block up and out before cutting... Make your cuts at a slight angle so your block can only come out one way. When your done your block goes back in the hole and is safe enough to stand on or even drive across! While fishing, sit your block on a couple sticks or something to keep it from freezing to the ice (talk about a hazard!) If your angle isn't too much you can sit your block on the smallest end and kick it free at the end of the day as well...

Good luck!!

<*)))>{

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2014, 05:48 AM »
Everything has been pretty much covered. I have cut hundreds of holes in the ice for myself as well as others. My saw happens to be a Stihl o36 that has never been used for anything other than ice. Once oil is put in a saw it is about impossible to use it without the dreaded slick. Running the chain loose keeps everything spinning just fine.

One thing not touched on is that with a little care you can cut through within a 1/2 inch or so of actually breaking through to water. It takes a little practice but by doing so not only does the saw stay dry but so do you. Then when you make your final pass you are quickly done and the saw can be placed inside to dry out.

In my case I use to help some commercial guys and we had to cut a 6' x 12' or so holding trough to pull the net into. Other then that most of my sawing was done for a spear hole. If this (spear hole) is the main purpose you are thinking chainsaw do yourself a favor and check these out http://icesaws.com/  Up to a 12"-14" of ice these are slick as can be. Since I got one my chainsaw has been benched and I don't miss the fumes or wet hind end a bit.

WS

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 10, 2014, 07:25 AM »
One thing that wasn't covered is you need to richen your fuel mixture. If your saw runs good in the summer, it will be very lean in the winter, if you can even get it to start. I don't know about the bar oil. I don't see how its worse than outboard exhaust in a lake. If you are worried about it, I would grease the chain before use. The guys I know that do it wear a rain suit when cutting, and they stay dry. When you don't have an ice saw, its a fine way to make a spear hole. Another option is to cut a bunch of ice auger holes side by side.
-Tom

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Nov 10, 2014, 07:45 AM »
One thing that wasn't covered is you need to richen your fuel mixture. If your saw runs good in the summer, it will be very lean in the winter, if you can even get it to start.

What kind of a saw are you using? We use saws at work year around and in all types of weather and we have never had to change a thing  ???

WS

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Nov 10, 2014, 07:52 AM »
What kind of a saw are you using? We use saws at work year around and in all types of weather and we have never had to change a thing  ???

WS

You don't have to touch the mixture, Whopper. We all know that. Chainsaws are used year round, but of course a pro like you already knows that. Experience and tech know-how trumps conjecture every time.  ;)

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 10, 2014, 08:08 AM »
auger and spud is easier and safer than trying to cut and  move a large chunk of ice
I use to use a 10/10 Mac. with a 20'' bar
no oil and cleaned before use
also knock down the raker's on an old chain for cutting ice

SnoHam13

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 10, 2014, 08:21 AM »
Hundreds of " races holes"  1x6 or 8 feet are cut with chain saws here in Maine for smelt fishing in salt and brackish
water and most everybody uses chain saws. Might  want to wear rain pants.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 10, 2014, 08:37 AM »
Oregon makes a nice li ion powered chainsaw.  No smell in the shanty after cutting the trough with that one.  Also all the electronices are sealed.  If you take two seconds to wipe down the saw after your done, you will have fewer problems with rust. 
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 10, 2014, 09:43 AM »
Its not opinion, and it doesn't matter the saw. Its the same for any engine. The colder it is, the more gas it needs.
-Tom

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Nov 10, 2014, 09:52 AM »
Its not opinion, and it doesn't matter the saw. Its the same for any engine. The colder it is, the more gas it needs.

So, all the carbureted cars/trucks from the 70's on back, I should have re-tuned all the AFB's or Q-jets for the winter?  ::)

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 10, 2014, 10:05 AM »
Yes, you should have. If it ran great in 70 degrees, it sure did not at 0. If you ran it a little rich in the summer, you probably didn't notice. The same is true of elevation, the higher you go, the richer it will run. But you will never run into that problem in MN ;D. Ever notice that in the winter you get less gas mileage? That is your fuel injection compensating for the cold. Its not opinion, its science, and it all has to do with air density.

That said, if you turn your pilot and main fuel screw out about 1/8-1/4 of a turn you should be good to go. It will prevent headaches and possible engine damage, there is no reason not to do it.
-Tom

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Nov 10, 2014, 10:19 AM »
Guess you need to tell all the automakers they were all in error.  I find your statements incredulous. What the heck did you think people drove in Minnesota 30 years and back? Mine all ran great in all four seasons, as did most people's. Do you think everyone took their vehicles in to the shop in winter and asked for a Winter carb retune? In cold, the mixture is denser and richer; they often run better. Go back to school and get some certification and years of experience under your belt before you start telling me how my vehicles and millions of other folks vehicles ran/how they should have. Love to see some pics of all the vehicles you've owned, raced, built.  I've quite a few albums of mine. Oh, by the way, my cross-ram injection system doesn't seem to have a pilot or main fuel screw...you did say ALL gas engines, right?  ::) Have a good day.
Now, let's get back to OP's thread, please!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 10, 2014, 10:40 AM »
Being as I was not alive to see the glory days of carbureted cars, so my experience is very limited with them. I will say that both cars I worked on with carbs, the same rules applied. I just figured 30+ years ago, people either made the adjustments, or lived with sputtering, and hard starts. I did say it applied to all gas engine, but I didn't say all were adjustable. I won't tell people what they should do, but the OP asked about cutting with chainsaws, and the fuel mixture should be changed to run in the winter.
-Tom

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 10, 2014, 12:17 PM »
FWIW..

I have found just about any combustion engine to run better when its cold out due to the fact that colder air hold more oxygen..

Engines can be tuned to get optimum HP for certain temps but most are set up for a happy medium...

Stihl saws have a thing that you can set to restrict the air on the carb for high elevations/cold temps, but I have never found it was needed.. I have run them all from 020 through 086 year round...

Chainsaw or not, a good set of gore tex bibs are your best friend to stay dry and warm on the ice...

<*)))>{

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #21 on: Nov 10, 2014, 12:33 PM »
Being as I was not alive to see the glory days of carbureted cars, so my experience is very limited.
That much is obvious!       :woot: :roflmao:

It seems some things never change.     I've noticed that in all three of my quarter-centuries, most of which involved engineering, mechanics, science, diagnostics and most importantly, common sense, to wit: the proper fuel:air ratio for operation of/in various power sources.

I've also noticed the difficulty in changing another's mind against their will. The same thing occurs in telling the person they are wrong. Stubbornness and being wrong go hand in hand.

Now, back to Cutting ice with Chainsaws.       :P

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 10, 2014, 01:55 PM »
I've heard of people using cooking oil instead of bar oil before.
Haven't tried it myself though.
Ever since I bought my ice saw I have never needed the chainsaw for cutting a spear hole. I really like it and I don't think I would ever go back.
I cut two holes with my auger on opposing corners of the hole area. Then cut out the square.
I'm no expert on engines like Rebelss I know he was a pro mechanic for years. But even I don't buy the adjust your carburetor theory. I had professional chainsaw classes put on by one of the big saw manufacturers back in the late 90's.
They did not mention this adjustment I hear spoken of and we never did it.
We only ran our saws from +100 down to ~-40 though. Maybe it makes a difference at warmer or colder temps that that though?
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: Nov 10, 2014, 02:05 PM »
This a joke too much arguing.  To sum things up... Run a clear bar and don't run bar oil.  If you saw runs sb*tty then pull the plug and read it.  It may be running too lean.  Either way, warm up your saw because cold seizure is more of an issue if your saw is really cold.  Now I am holding my breath for a computer controlled fuel injected chainsaw.  Hope you get my sarcasm.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 10, 2014, 02:18 PM »
BTW my 10/10 was set up for a ''water cooled'' bar  ;D

just saying

SnoHam13

and the SNOW has started in Da Keweenaw  :woot:

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 10, 2014, 02:38 PM »
As someone said use the top of the bar. Stay dry that way. Also back angle the cut narrow on top wide at bottom and push the chuck down.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #26 on: Nov 10, 2014, 03:18 PM »
Do I have to drain the oil,change the blade or readjust the carburetor if I use the saw manually like a hand saw ? ;)

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Nov 10, 2014, 03:28 PM »
Do I have to drain the oil,change the blade or readjust the carburetor if I use the saw manually like a hand saw ? ;)

No, but be sure to drain the fuel before using.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Nov 10, 2014, 03:44 PM »
Don't want to stand on the piece you're cutting. ;) If you don't keep running the saw or keep it warm it will freeze up quick when cold out. It'll locked up solid like when the chain brake is on.
It must be something in the water.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #29 on: Nov 10, 2014, 04:31 PM »
 :woot: :roflmao:

Osage, are you the guy that took the saw back with the complaint of slow cutting and when they fired it up, asked "What's that noise"  ?     

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.