Author Topic: Whats your favorite thing to cook on while ice fishing?  (Read 18853 times)

Offline Gimper

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Whats your favorite thing to cook on while ice fishing?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 08, 2016, 06:19 PM »
Corndogs. They can be cooked over the Mr. Heater on a forked stick and they have a handle so no plate/fork needed. And they make the shanty smell like the midway at the county fair.

Offline GourdneckGills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Dec 08, 2016, 09:26 PM »
the classic 2 burner coleman stoves are always a good way to go. light and simple and nothing to break
Life is hard, its harder if youre stupid

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 08, 2016, 09:57 PM »
Mr heater thread got me started last year, my challenge was trying to bring something new each trip.

Hot Dogs, Chicken Wings bought precooked, ham balls, meat balls, taco thing I found at fareway already cooked and ready, ham steak, sausage egg mix most everything I warmed up in aluminum foil

Offline George Dahl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 10, 2016, 08:06 PM »
Wrap any and all kinds of sandwiches in foil and butter both sides and set on your buddy burner guard, turn when you can smell it and give it 4 more minutes.  you will wish you brought more with you.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #34 on: Dec 10, 2016, 08:12 PM »
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 11, 2016, 01:38 PM »
the small weber q series propane ones work great. another piece of equipment to haul though.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 12, 2016, 12:17 AM »
Some days if it's not too cold, I haul out a Weber Smokey Joe and charcoal for dogs brats or burgers, other times I bring an MSR Dragonfly or Pocket Rocket stove with a pot to boil dogs or ramen. Other times, I just pack sandwiches.  I still can't bring myself to cook on my Buddy Heater.  I'm afraid I will get food or sauce on the ceramic element.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 12, 2016, 01:42 AM »
S'more's  besides heating up my sub from the gas station
. Lol's marshmellows are easy to pack so is chooclate and gram crackers .. lots of energy from the suger. 

Offline tarmstrong24

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't see that from your couch!
« Reply #38 on: Dec 12, 2016, 02:57 PM »
I also use my buddy heater, if you get a small frying pan you can put the handle under the handle of the heater.  Keeps weight down and if you use a heater then you have a source of heat.  If im going light i just take hot pockets and push them on the grates of the buddy heater

heater buddy! I  bought a $1 pain roller grate from Walmart and bent it up to make a cooking surface for the top of my buddy.I like to put premade food in tin load pans and reheat, mac n cheese being my favorite, but it will get hot enough to cook something up. one of my favorite pieces of equipment when i am out

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 12, 2016, 06:17 PM »
I've got a Weber grill where the legs fold up to keep the top on during transport.  Has a dial to adjust the heat perfectly.  Cook anything on it, even steaks if you want.  There are hooks on the inside of the top, so you can hang it on the back of the grill to keep it out of the snow, and as a windbreak.  Can fit 6-8 brats on it.  50 bucks at Ace hardware but that was 6 or 7 years ago.

Simple is good too, with the Mr. Heater.  Will have to try that.

FS

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 12, 2016, 09:12 PM »
Beer, whisky, coffee....repeat. then maybe a granola bar
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline klino2280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 13, 2016, 05:41 AM »
I bring grilled cheese, ready to heat up in plastic bags, they fit perfectly inside a small pan. I also bring ramen noodle cups. Just add warm water. Easy.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.

Offline FreezinGator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Dec 13, 2016, 07:56 AM »
I picked up a small propane weber q1000 grill on craigslist that works great on the ice.  They are a little pricey new but built well and work great with the cast iron grates and built in ignitor.  The stand breaks down and everything folds up to fit in the sled well.  Really makes ice fishing more fun - esp when I bring the kids or friends-

Offline FishDoc_1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 14, 2016, 10:47 AM »
Usually Chili, pulled pork or brats.  I use this stove:

Good things come to those who bait.

Offline JOHNKNEEGEEZ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Dec 14, 2016, 01:05 PM »
Cheese deer sausage balls cooked in bacon grease! Simple recipe (shredded cheese, deer sausage and bisquick) and the kids love them! I do too!

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Dec 14, 2016, 02:09 PM »
If you have time for fancy cooking the fishing must not be going well. Coffee and a bag of trail mix is all I need if I have a fishing rod in my hand.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Dec 14, 2016, 10:04 PM »
MSR Rocket if alone. It weighs nothing and a cup of ramen or coffee can make a difference on sticking out longer on a cold day.  If wife and son are along Ill heat up good stuff we prepacked in small aluminum tins on the buddy heater.

Offline elk hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Dec 14, 2016, 11:31 PM »
Jet boil some top roman or brats on the mr heater.  Warm food does wonders on the ice
If the elk aren't bugling.    I am fishing

Offline tla100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 15, 2016, 09:14 AM »
Pre-cooked brats or hot dogs. Ham and cheese samich in tin foil. Deer jerky.

Offline George Dahl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Dec 15, 2016, 01:35 PM »
With an ATV or Car drive up to house everything is possible.  BBQ outdoors, baked potatoes, potato salad, beans,  and some wash to drink.  In the portable, thermos, alcohol, wrap sandwiches in foil outside buttered, and put on the "Buddy burner guard till it smells right".  Usually that means eat, pee, fish on, at the same time.  Close the door.

Offline Ihawkangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Dec 16, 2016, 06:26 AM »
I bought the nesting set of camping pots and the Coleman version of the rocket stove all for under 30.00 if memory serves.  I can set up the butane canister next to me in my one man and within a few minutes have hot soup, boiling water, coffee, etc.  I have added boiling water to the Mountain House freeze dried pouches, but they are pricey and full of stuff I try not to eat.  Amazing what a cup of hot soup, tea, or coffee does to mental and physical well being.  Fished Wednesday in 18 below wind chill with 20-25 mph winds and thoroughly enjoyed the warm up's throughout the day.

For me small and compact is best.  Too many things to forget, have drop out of a sled, freeze to the ice or take up space needed for the other 50 gadgets I "need".

Offline rusty go0se

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 16, 2016, 07:58 AM »
I have a pretty nice thermos. Will normally heat up some soup at the house, take it out and it will still be hot by lunch time.
"Anything free is worth saving up for"

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Dec 17, 2016, 03:06 PM »
You can't beat a good cigar,then go to a mom and pop restaurant. Get 2 eggs over medium, some corned beef hash. Coffee and tomato juice. Go home, clean fish. Take a nap.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Dec 18, 2016, 12:23 PM »
I used to have a wire wrapped around the grate on my buddy heater that I called the wiener wire. I cooked all sorts of sausage products on it. The heater died so now I just plan my fishing around mealtimes. Fish for awhile, leave that spot to find food and relocate. Works great but we have a lot of good spots and restaurants in close proximity.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Bri-Guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Dec 19, 2016, 09:59 PM »
If I am going out for a long day on the ice, I like to order too much pizza for dinner the night before and wrap the leftovers individually in tin foil. I have a Coleman sportcat catalytic heater, toss the slices on the heater and it warms them up quite nicely with a crisp crust. If no pizza then I toast some sandwiches on the heater. 

Offline USA Ice Team

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice fishing - not a hobby, a way of life.
« Reply #55 on: Dec 19, 2016, 10:10 PM »
If it is just me, I just bring 4 basic food groups: Teriyaki beef jerky, string cheese, smokehouse almonds, and oatmeal raisin granola bars.

If I am having guests, I keep it simple: brats or polish sausage & Frito's Pies. Quick, simple, easy, and I have yet to have any complaints.
USAngling https://usangling.com/
USA Ice Team: http://www.usaiceteam.org/

Pro Staff:
Lucky John USA http://www.luckyjohn.info
Norfin USA http://www.norfin.info
DH Custom Rods & Tackle http://www.dhcustomrods.com/

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." Henry David Thoreau

Offline SUSHI MAN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Dec 20, 2016, 11:29 AM »
When my boy's and I camp on the ice, I use a coleman 2 burner propane stove. I bring a pressure cooker (stove top type) and make a batch of deer/elk stew. Toss the meat in flour with seasoning and brown then add the veggies (potatoes/carrots/celery) with a little water. Cooks for 15 minutes and you have a hot stew. THE BEST :)
"A man's home is his castle....but his shanty is his sanctuary"

Offline helling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Dec 22, 2016, 12:23 PM »
Take a pound of bulk sausage. Brown it in a pan. Then add sour kraut and cook it for 5-10 minutes. Extremely simple and it is one of the best tasting meals on the ice.

Offline njsfishon16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Dec 23, 2016, 09:12 PM »
I like venison chili.  You can make it up ahead of time and just re-heat it.  I live at the lake and just fish in the cove in front of the house.  I f we have a bunch of guys fishing there,  my wife will cook up a batch and then i will bring out a pot and serve it in cups.

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 05, 2017, 06:22 AM »
Found this on you tube, im going to try and replicate one !
The Hook and Cook - portable wood stove

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.