The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Last Montana Ice Fishing trip, where do you go?  (Read 1236 times)

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
Last Montana Ice Fishing trip, where do you go?
« on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:29 AM »
My cousin, and also my hunting and fishing partner, is making the move up to Alaska this February. I am trying to plan a final fishing trip with him for one of the next coming weekends. He is in Billings and I am in Bozeman. Hoping to get a bit more fishing time than driving time, but if the drive is work it for the fishing, we will get it done. We were thinking about Fort Peck. He's been once, I've never been. But the fishing and ice reports don't show that it is the greatest year so far. Prefer to go after some predatory fish like pike or walleye, lake trout could be super fun, I've never chased burbout before but am willing to try. If it is a trout trip, I'd like them to be big (20"+).

If you had only one last ice fishing trip in Montana, where would you go?
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
Re: Last Montana Ice Fishing trip, where do you go?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:34 AM »
Ft Peck hands down. Crooked Creek has good ice. Lots of Pike and could get some nice Eyes.
Good luck wherever you go

Offline 429421Cowboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2019, 12:33 PM »
I agree with the Peck idea, that to me is like Mt icefishing Mecca. So many species to target, with lots of my preferred species (northerns) and lots of country to try out. Some hog walleyes, big pike, good trout, smallmouth... That's exactly where I'd go if somebody told me I could only ever go one more time.
East of the Rockies and west of the rest, I do my best to do my dangedest and that's about all I guess.

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2019, 01:23 PM »
Thanks guys. I guess I will have to see if we can make that happen! Is Crooked Creek where you'd recommend? Both for fishing but mostly for ice conditions?
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2019, 01:31 PM »
Crooked has the safest ice, good fishing and the closest place to Billings and Bozeman. Drive in from the Roy side instead of Winnett. Much better and faster

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2019, 08:34 PM »
Fiji.  Ice in my cold tea while watching the mate flip my latest mani onto more ice.

Offline missoulaicebeerdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2019, 06:47 PM »
Hell creek on Peck.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2019, 08:53 PM »
Crooked has the safest ice, good fishing and the closest place to Billings and Bozeman. Drive in from the Roy side instead of Winnett. Much better and faster
Which road goes in from Roy? Is it Valentine rd?

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2019, 09:03 PM »
Valentine Road sounds correct. Ferguson county has way more money to maintain the road. I would think it will save you at least 30 min over driving in from Winnett.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2019, 10:49 PM »
Okay, thanks

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2019, 11:01 PM »
if it were my last trip.. I certainly wouldn't want to be doing any recon....so maybe look into guides..there must be some on peck..but if it were me.. i'd be looking at the whole experience...lodging.. resturaunts...BREW pubs....I would go to old stomping grounds..or find a guide in an area you haven't fished...I would air bnb a nice house near philipsburg...eat some pizza and pound some brews at p burg brewery and fish g town...or I would find a guide that could put me on some of the predatory fish you seek at peck..unless you already got it dialed in...

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2019, 11:06 PM »
don't know much of these dudes..and shanty may flag it..paid sponsor logistics...but here's one..https://www.walleyehunteroutfitters.com/trips-2/ice-fishing-excursions/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.