Author Topic: Drop Shot Perch  (Read 7272 times)

Offline Joshey3

• IceShanty Rookie
Drop Shot Perch
« on: Dec 22, 2008, 11:09 AM »
Been reading that this is a pretty good option for perch through the ice.  Has anyone ever tried this?

Offline tracker 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Drop Shot Perch
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2008, 11:11 AM »
Been reading that this is a pretty good option for perch through the ice.  Has anyone ever tried this?
Those that have  drop shot perch  can you explain how its done?

Offline Joshey3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2008, 11:44 AM »
You can buy special drop-shot hooks at fishing stores.  I believe that they are called 'stand out' hooks.  You can tie them and they will present at a perfect 90 degree angle.

The tag end can be used with a drop shot weight, split shot weight or a jighead with plastic or bait.  I use this setup in the summer for walleye and the sensitivity of the dropshot is amazing!  Just trying to come up with a reason why this would not work thru the ice.

Offline bigfoot697

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2008, 06:53 AM »
lure on top sinker on bottom not real hard. perch are on bottom the majority of the time where i fish. its 20 foot and deeper so dropshoting gets the lure back down to the fish faster. im usually over a silt bottom and the sinker hitting the silt stirs it up and sometimes triggers them to bite. hope this helps.

Offline tracker 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2008, 10:04 AM »
lure on top sinker on bottom not real hard. perch are on bottom the majority of the time where i fish. its 20 foot and deeper so dropshoting gets the lure back down to the fish faster. im usually over a silt bottom and the sinker hitting the silt stirs it up and sometimes triggers them to bite. hope this helps.
How heavy of a sinker do you use?

Offline bigfoot697

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2008, 02:26 PM »
nothing over a 1/2 ounce. the weight wont effect the lure action because the sinker is on the bottom. if im over a silt mud bottom,i let the sinker hit hard then jig up and down a few times to stir the silt up. the perch will come over thinking that the school is feeding and see your bait and well you know the rest.

Offline Jaybobbie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2008, 09:16 PM »
I've used a drop shot for bass in the summer and I would think that you could down size that rig. Maybe use a bare hook and a minnow, might have to experiment with it this year.

Offline KTapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2008, 11:21 PM »
I have used a drop shot rig with a crappie minnow and did very well this fall, and the person also in my boat was fishing just a hook and minnow and he caught much less than I did. I was thinking of using it this winter also.

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2008, 08:05 AM »
My best perch producer rig has a minnow that lays on the mud with a minnow 1 foot above the sinker. The bottom hook out produces the top hook 5 to 1.
You can not take too many perch, unless you can not clean them, give them to your friends and neighbors to clean and cook. The more perch you take, the faster and bigger the rest  will grow. The walleyes and bass will survive from fry to fingerlings.

Offline Shovel74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2009, 08:17 PM »
When using a dropshot rig do you tie to the main line or have droppers coming off the main line?

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2009, 08:46 PM »
I have one ice rod rigged with a Genz Worm at the bottom and two stand out hooks about ten inches and twenty inches above it. Maybe I'll get back on the ice one of thes fine days and get to use it. I used stand out hooks because I can put a small styrofoam ball on each of them to keep them from getting hooked in the lining of my rod bag.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline gulp

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2009, 08:24 AM »
Go to infisherman and read pull no punches perch. They talk about drop-shot rigs for the ice. I think it better to use a droper under a good spoon than the drop-shot rig. It will get down faster and less tangles. I run 4in of line under a kastmaster type spoon with a single hook works like a champ. Good luck out there.
Take a kid fishing,they make great pack mules.
Put the big ones back for another day eat the small ones.

Offline kingfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • hastings hero.....liberated 2000
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2009, 02:39 PM »
single gamakatsu egg hook and a split shot 8-16 in above

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.