Author Topic: Deep perch- Air bladder expands, kills em? What to do?  (Read 17986 times)

Offline busler15

• Team IceShanty Regular
I was jigging for perch in my home lake, and the only place I could find them was 30' of water. I caught two, both were about 7" and each the air bladder was expanding out of their mouths because of the pressure change. I do not want to kill every perch I catch, and I only got two, but

is there any way to stop the perch from dying due to the pressure change. I tried reeling slow, and making multiple pauses, but it didnt work. What can i do to fish for perch, but not kill every one I catch?

pcsminer

Re: Deep perch- Air bladder expands, kills em? What to do?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2007, 10:01 PM »
we have caught perch in 30+ water and never had that problem before don't know what to tell you ???

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2007, 10:47 PM »
is there any way to stop the perch from dying due to the pressure change. I tried reeling slow, and making multiple pauses, but it didnt work. What can i do to fish for perch, but not kill every one I catch?

Maybe mouth to mouth and if that doesn't work, send an email to these folks they'll know how to save perchies.  ;D

~ G

pcsminer

« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2007, 11:05 PM »
Maybe mouth to mouth and if that doesn't work, send an email to these folks they'll know how to save perchies.  ;D

~ G

;D ;D ;D
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2007, 10:00 AM »
I have taken a fairly large snelled hook and cut the point off behind the barb. I attached it to a line with a large bell sinker, hooked it a fishes mouth and let line out until it hit bottom. It seems like when the sinker hits bottom the fish just swim away. It works in deep water on walleyes in summer. I don't know why it wouldn't work on perch also. You have to let your line free spool so the hook doesn't come out of the fishes mouth. It might be worth a try.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Scientist

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2007, 11:07 AM »
It is not the air bladder that is coming out of its mouth it is the perch’s gullet and stomach. The air bladder expands and has no room to expand and pushes the stomach out. Often times the perch will regurgitate half digested food on the way up from the depths. The advice the guy gave previously might be your best option with the barb-less hook and weight because it is fairly simple to do and requires nothing special. The air bladder can be purged of excess air by inserting a #10 gauge sterile hypodermic needle 2 inches below the lateral line in the proximity of the dorsal fin, but if done improperly the organs will be damaged and kill the fish. I don’t recommend the needle purge unless extreme caution is exercised for safety.
breathing in, breathing out..this is life is all about ...We change when we start to make of life what we want.

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born To FISH Forced To Work
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2007, 04:21 PM »
I wounder if a slower retrieve from that depth might be better ??? ???

Offline Scientist

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2007, 05:18 PM »
I wounder if a slower retrieve from that depth might be better ??? ???
Nope, you can take 20 minutes to bring in the fish and you would get the same result. The difference in pressure is what causes this phenomenon.
breathing in, breathing out..this is life is all about ...We change when we start to make of life what we want.

Offline busler15

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2007, 05:23 PM »
So basically, I should just stop fishing that deep if I want to release fish at all,

Sounds good, Kinda stinks it is the only place ive been able to mark perch!

Offline axtell31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2007, 09:04 PM »
I had this problem with crappie this winter to and I didnt realize it was happening cuz the fish would take off but would end up floating under the ice, I found that after the snow melted, but I experimented and found rubbing the area around the air bladder helped big time. It was succesful and I even did it to a few walleye this winter.  Never had a problem with the stomach coming out though.

I did drill holes and get them fish out so you guys dont think I just let them waste.

Offline KingFisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2007, 09:09 PM »
Batter, deepfry, and enjoy ;D

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2007, 06:59 AM »
You can not take too many perch. The little guys will make fine potato chip morsels if you clean them right. The other perch will grow bigger faster since there are less fish for the forage available. Too many perch eat their own young, the walleye fry and stunt the whole biomass down.
You can not take too many perch, unless you can not clean them, give them to your friends and neighbors to clean and cook. The more perch you take, the faster and bigger the rest  will grow. The walleyes and bass will survive from fry to fingerlings.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2007, 09:45 AM »
You certainly can take too many big perch; if you think that's just opinion read the article in  in the 2008 "In Fisherman Ice Fishing Guide." (Our Fragile Fisheries; Pounding Perch) In a remote area with light pressure, it might be true that you can't take too many, but lakes that see a lot of anglers get decimated by greed frequently. More on topic, I have had the expanding bladder or stomach problem when catching perch in water over 25'. As a result I "try'' to do my perch fishing in shallower water, though it isn't always possible.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2007, 05:02 PM »
You can not take too many perch. The little guys will make fine potato chip morsels if you clean them right. The other perch will grow bigger faster since there are less fish for the forage available. Too many perch eat their own young, the walleye fry and stunt the whole biomass down.

If you don't think you can take too many Perch, do a little research on the Perch fishing at Devils Lake, Nd. I live in SD and tons of people come here for the Perch fishing in the winter. I have seen several lakes fished down to almost nothing in one winter. I one of them 14" Perch were pretty common and at this time you are lucky to catch a dink. I can remember one day when there were about 200 shantys on This lake and it teed me off so bad that I left and went elsewhere. The lake that I went to was so crowded that you  couldn't see the south shoreline because of all the shantys. There is no longer any fishing on this lake because the land owner won't allow it and it is tied up in court at this time.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2007, 05:15 PM »
In Northern maine alot  reel em in faster  just for that
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline TomToolery

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2007, 06:36 PM »
7"ers are 2 healthy forkfulls from the frying pan   dont sweat it    enjoy  TT

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2007, 06:42 AM »
Devils Lake North Dakota? Isn't that where the FLW is going to hold its next big tournament for walleyes? I stand by my statement that you can't take too many perch. The reproduction capacity of perch dominates the lakes biomass and we don't take enough perch for other species to flourish. When the perch are fished down, other species flourish and the perch that are left have a good growth rate. It is too bad we concentrate our efforts so much on walleye and ignore the perch. Too many times limits are put on perch to stop selling them and the perch are unharvested and the walleye fishery collapses.
You can not take too many perch, unless you can not clean them, give them to your friends and neighbors to clean and cook. The more perch you take, the faster and bigger the rest  will grow. The walleyes and bass will survive from fry to fingerlings.

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2007, 08:39 AM »
When ever I pull up fish out of deep water that doesn't look like it is going to make it, I do the same thing and it works 100% of the time.  I take my fillet knife and I go right behind the fishes gill and make an incision to it's back bone.  Then I pull my knife along the back bone, all the way to the tail, flip the fillet over so you can see the swim bladder, then I cut out the ribs, fillet off the skin, dust it with some fry magic and stick it in some hot oil. 
Unless it's out of season, I never release an injured fish, even if it is small and going to count against my limit. 

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2007, 04:12 PM »
last years thread but ill chime anyhow. i wondered this same thing a couple years ago. i wondered if i could fiz them like bass. i took a few home and used a friends hypo needle to try it. it worked as far as getting them to swimm up-rite! there was a bit of mortality, from what im not sure. could have been the fizing or the stress(i did have to aclimate them to my fish tank) a few fish lived in the tank for a few weeks so its at least feezable.

i think i posted this elswere on this site too.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2008, 10:21 PM »
never had that happen

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2008, 10:33 AM »
slow retrieve is better. much better!!!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2008, 01:44 PM »
I had this problem with crappie this winter to and I didnt realize it was happening cuz the fish would take off but would end up floating under the ice, I found that after the snow melted, but I experimented and found rubbing the area around the air bladder helped big time. It was succesful and I even did it to a few walleye this winter.  Never had a problem with the stomach coming out though.

I did drill holes and get them fish out so you guys dont think I just let them waste.

How do you know the fish you released didn't eventually die?
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2008, 01:52 PM »

They are very prolific species but you may able to fish down particular age classes which I think is what Vancleaver was getting at. Don't forget along with angling pressure you've got predator fish pressure too. Even though a perch produces a few hundred thousand eggs only a few survive to catchable size and even less to trophy size.

I was one of those people that went to Devil's Lake via Amtrack's Empire train. I was actually quite disappointed. We did much better on a nearby lake call Lake Cavenaugh. The size of the perch I we did catch were not any more impressive than my region -- about 12 - 13  inches.

Another thing to consider is fish populations go in cycles depending on a lot of varibles. Could be Devil's Lake is just in a down cycle for big perch. Or some other species is taking over a niche. Our perch population in Lake Michigan has crashed but is coming back. But it's forecasted to decline once again.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Danderson

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2008, 07:45 AM »
try pushing a needle in to the belly to let the air out slowly. fishery biologist suggested that one

Offline Perchcrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 08, 2008, 04:01 AM »
try pushing a needle in to the belly to let the air out slowly. fishery biologist suggested that one
I've heard that before.  Did the biologist have any proof of it working.  I've caught many Perch in 60' of water and they all have their belly sticking out of their mouth when you get them to the hole.  I never worried because I was keeping them anyway, but was curious how to release once they have gotten that way.  I wonder if this happens in deep sea fishing?  PC
A Bad day of fishing in better than a Good day at Work!!!

Offline madmichael365

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 08, 2008, 04:45 AM »
i agree with King fisher, try dippin em in hot oil
IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v652/fishincutie/IceShantyBanner-1.png[/IMG]

Offline Collin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 10, 2008, 10:03 AM »
Isn't there something to be said for keeping em?  I know MassWildlife encourages anglers to take perch for lake ecosystem (at least in pontoosuc), i'm sure this varies lake to lake.  I was planning on cooking some up last sunday, cleaned the fish but found a nice old guy jigging...should have seen the look on his face when we gave them to him.   Don't get me wrong I catch and release regularly esp. trout and bass in the warmer months.  Curious what fish biologist say though, I've been told before when fly fishing for bluegill I'd be doing the lake a favor if I threw the small ones in the woods instead of putting them back.  Never had the heart to do it though.  Thanks for any insight!

Offline David Barber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 10, 2008, 12:04 PM »
you could try and Fizz them.  Fizz walleyes for tourneys... not released so I really don't know how it would affect them going back down.  Catch and Release tourneys don't seem to have a problem with Fizzed fish.

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Double Stuff Oreos! . . . . . . Got Cookies?
« Reply #28 on: Jan 12, 2008, 07:43 PM »
Most of the time when I have seen the bladder/stomach in the perch I have caught, I can actually hear it "pop" when grabbing the fishes body to get the hook out.  I guess the added pressure from being lightly squeezed does it.  Sometimes they just come out of the hole like that to.

The new preffered method of fizzing bass is through the mouth.  I have often wondered if this method could be used on perch to.  I have never tried.

Many times, after catching a "popped" perch, I'll release them and I watch them swim right back down to the depths on the Vex.  Will the pressure down there push things back to normal??  I've wondered that to.
"'I ain't broke, but brother, I'm badly bent"- Stiff Dead Cat

MySpace

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #29 on: Jan 28, 2008, 05:16 PM »
Batter, deepfry, and enjoy ;D
solved ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.