Author Topic: Are yellows wormy in summer?  (Read 4840 times)

Offline fishinmastah

• Team IceShanty Regular
Are yellows wormy in summer?
« on: Feb 04, 2006, 08:24 PM »
???????????? never eaten yellow ever before only eaten white all year round...i heard that yellow perch r real wormy is this true?
Team Maine!

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Are yellows wormy in summer?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2006, 08:31 PM »
Never had a problem during the summer here, possibly could be a problem on a specific lake in your area.

grumpymoe

« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2006, 08:36 PM »
seldom keep yellows in the summer months....but can honestly say that of the few I have kept, they are clean fish......local waters and conditions will no doubt have an effect on quality of fish that varies from state and province.....Grump

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2006, 11:43 PM »
Never had a problem where I fish either.

bigdave1018

« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2006, 04:49 AM »
at black lake ny the perch are very grubby as are some of the pumpkinseeds. the grubs are near the tails and or the gills. if you see 1, youre sure to find lots more in the meat. ill leave the grub eating to the fish and gulls.

Offline fishinmastah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2006, 06:09 PM »
thanks for the info
Team Maine!

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2006, 06:07 PM »
Certain lakes will have wormy perch.  If they're there in the summer, they'll still be there in the winter.  Temp doesn't matter.  The best way I've found to check them is to flip them on their back and pull down gently on the top lip so their gills are flared.  If you see yellow/white grubs in the gill plate and chin they're almost sure to be in the meat as well.  If you don't see any, it doesn't mean there won't be any in the meat, but it's a way to weed out the majority of the infested ones. 

kc17
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2006, 08:38 PM »
the grubs won't hurt you....just added protein......
It's all about Karma.....

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2006, 10:26 PM »
THey are crunchy when fried up :)

There was alot of disscusion about grubs on here last year.

But anyways to keep it short..

Theres a certain cycle that the grub goes through it needs a Fish eating bird, a certain type of snail and a fish to compete its cycle.

Normally shallow lakes with alot of weed growth will most likely contain more grubby fish.

SO you need herons. commorants, king fishers, gulls, pelicans etc etc to eat infested fish. These grubs get passed though the bird and enter the water where they must find a snail within a certain time period. After a short time spent in the snail they leave and must find a fish to go into. THen a fish eating bird eats the fish and the cycle continues. Its alot more complicated than that but you get the idea. If your really interested Google search it. :)

From what I have read supposially only one person has ever gotten a grub to attatch to them and that was probably by eating raw fish with grubs or drinking unfiltered water.

But as long as they are cooked, the grubs are completly safe to eat. Just crunchy like i said :)
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline Pomoxis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lawyers make the best chum.
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2006, 11:56 PM »
Thanks, Fishking. I really appreciate that kind of reply effort.
I've never seen perch with grubs, but I have not made them a major staple.
I'm in North New Jersey btw.
The more I fish, the more I  to fish, but the only  I need is BEER.

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2006, 08:08 AM »
After you fillet your fish, if you want to check the fillets for grubs,
hold the fillet up to a light or window and you will see them in the
fillets if they are grubby.
If they are grubby you can decide what to do, cut them out or leave
the fillet as is or throw away.

Offline cnyfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love the perch fillets!!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2006, 07:53 AM »
THey are crunchy when fried up :)

But as long as they are cooked, the grubs are completly safe to eat. Just crunchy like i said :)
:sick: :sick:
mdouglass729 - I agree with what everyone else is saying that it may just be certain lakes. I eat perch all year long and have never had one with worms, although I think that perch taste better when pulled through a hole in the ice... but I think that goes with just about any fish.
"Let them take it... till the minnows good and took. Ya reel up all your slack, then ya set your hook."

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2006, 09:19 PM »
I've never caught any perch in Colorado that had worms or parasites in them. Guess I should consider myself lucky.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2006, 12:59 AM »
never had any worm or parasites in my perch hear on echo & mission lake, sk.
 ;D

Offline Jim111

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Central VT
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2006, 04:59 AM »
The perch in VT (walleyes) too, sometimes have some of the yellow/beige parasitic "worms" in them, that are referred to, though I haven't seen them as bad in the summer months. No, you won't see them often, if at all in "white perch", which are not a perch at all, but a member of the "white bass" family. Walleyes certainly get them though, and ARE a member of the same family as yellow perch. Perhaps white bass are immune to them? As one previous post implied, an infected fish can easily be identified before being kept to eat, by simply looking under the fish's gills. If the fish is infected, you'll see them clearly visible there. These "worms" seem to be a local probelm and are not in all lakes and ponds. Even in fish that have them, they can be easily removed, if the fish is filleted. Most are located near the skin, tail and spine, as ealier noted. I have never heard anything about them being harmful, either to the fish or an individual that might eat them. Still it's a good idea to cook all fish thoroughly, as you certainly can get "roundworms" (another infectious parasite) from undercooked fish!  -Jim

Offline Kirk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 22, 2006, 10:06 PM »
on lake erie where i fish for perch ive never seen 1 worm in them but when i got up to the trent river most of the perch have worms, i just cut them out
No ice too thick....lets go perchin!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.