Author Topic: Do perch stop biteing at night  (Read 2622 times)

Offline CrappieVermonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Do perch stop biteing at night
« on: Jan 09, 2013, 05:27 PM »
Got on some nice perch sunday right before dark in 38-40 feet of water they hit just about every time they came up on the jig. Then as soon as it was to dark to see they stop all together they showed up on the flashers looked at our jigs but would not bite then they stoped looking at them completly. Has any one had this happen we had 5 and6 mm friskas on with glow nuggies even tryed minnow heads on glow spoons nothing would bite but they wher ther still

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Do perch stop biteing at night
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2013, 05:47 PM »
depends on the body of water you are fishing, and what is going on under the ice...we have caught them in stained water for a couple hours after dark then had them slow down...we have had them shut right down in clear water at dark and then start back up maybe an hour and a half or so later...depends on what they are feeding on and what that feed is doing....
It's all about Karma.....

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2013, 06:12 PM »
depends on the body of water you are fishing, and what is going on under the ice...we have caught them in stained water for a couple hours after dark then had them slow down...we have had them shut right down in clear water at dark and then start back up maybe an hour and a half or so later...depends on what they are feeding on and what that feed is doing....
It's a lake to lake deal but most never even consider the possibility, so it probably hasn't even been tried. Don't underestimate a couple hours predawn. Have a couple small(ish) bodies of water where 10"+ fish can be caught on a 9' flat until just before sun up. After that you'll find them out off the first break in 20'-25' roaming around (PIA). And it definitely does pay to know what they're feeding on

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2013, 08:00 AM »
Perch are primarily sight feeders, so i would imagine that even though they can see the glowing jig after dark, it might seem too unnatural since they cant really see much else, but i could be totally wrong, if so somebody please correct me.
"Guys, Come look! This perch is as big as my house!"

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2013, 10:20 AM »
Honestly think it's just an adaptation, on a lake by lake basis, for thriving survival. Some primary food sources are possibly more active at night, the main predator (Pike) may be fairly inactive, less pressure from us......... Not sure what the exact reason is, simply know it exists on a couple bodies of small(ish) waters I frequent. A mixed bag of nice Perch, 'gills and Crappie is a great night. And yes these are my primary Pike waters during open water, 30" - 40"+ are there with a bad attitude, they are left alone on ice. These balanced lakes that I've fished since the 60s are basically unchanged since then. Even the large breeder sized pannies go back down the hole, lakes are small, misunderstood by locals and well balanced --------- > it shall stay that way.

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2013, 08:25 PM »
I have caught a few perch accidentally at night (all of them being 12"+) but whenever I target them at night they don't like what I offer.

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember some of it. Involve me and I will have lifetime knowledge.

-Anomymous

Offline CrappieVermonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2013, 06:46 PM »
The ones I caught where spitting up scud and other small things checked ther stomachs and they had no minnows in them maybe thats why  ther eating scud in the day time but cant see them at night. Thanks for your input guys

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.