The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Electric Ice Augers???  (Read 8468 times)

Offline fcfcadd

• IceShanty Rookie
Electric Ice Augers???
« on: Nov 04, 2012, 10:27 PM »
I have 2 strike master mag 2000's, an 8" and a 10". I was thinking about  buying a new electric ice auger that I can plug into my ATV for this season. Does anyone have experience with these here in Wyoming and if so which one do you have and how well has it worked for you? I'm not sure which brand or model I should look at, the Jiffy, Strikemaster, ION, or Ice Gator?

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: Electric Ice Augers???
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2012, 06:20 AM »
You will need to stick with a 12 volt unit if you want to plug it into a ATV. Some of the units on your list are not 12 volt.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2012, 08:12 AM »
I think if that ion works well for this season i may get one next year.

But being it is a Eskimo brand i bet there are no issues with it.
Don

Offline fcfcadd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2012, 03:55 PM »
I was thinking of plugging it into the atv to prevent running out of battery power so to speak. I see the Jiffy was has a 10ft cord available to connect to your atv. I just want a new auger that drills holes faster and one I don't have to worry about hot exhaust parts burning holes in my coats again or spilling gas all over the place. I thought about the propane ones but that's still another fuel source I don't want to have to deal with.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2012, 04:10 PM »
Just stick with a 12 volt unit and it will work!

Offline fcfcadd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2012, 04:43 PM »
stripernut have you used that model before?

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2012, 06:42 PM »
No, just that 12 volts is 12 volts...

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2012, 09:10 PM »
On early ice, I use a 36v. drill with a 4 & 7" auger.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2012, 09:31 PM »
I have 2 strike master mag 2000's, an 8" and a 10". I was thinking about  buying a new electric ice auger that I can plug into my ATV for this season. Does anyone have experience with these here in Wyoming and if so which one do you have and how well has it worked for you? I'm not sure which brand or model I should look at, the Jiffy, Strikemaster, ION, or Ice Gator?

I tried very hard with a Gator Attacker (the model year before the "green" battery boxes and expensive lightweight LIon batteries) one season.
I carried the gator batteries in a bucket on my snowsled, and used a long (heavy gauge) cable to run between them.  That model had an
adapter box setup to replace the batteries on the auger motor part.  I was happy with the speed and power of the unit.  I was also a little leery
of how long it would continue to give me trouble free service based upon what I was reading and hearing about the units.

Bottom line, I got tired of being tethered to my sled.  The batteries when on the unit made it too heavy for my liking and bad back.  I was reading about lots of unhappy
campers who were having various troubles with their units, and so I cut my losses and sold it.  I recouped of enough of my initial expenses to use the money towards
a Tanaka power head.  I was already sold on the Nils bit I was using with the Gator.  What little money I was out, I felt was a wise investment in product testing.
It convinced me to try the Nils, and Tanaka which is might lighter weight, and much faster than my old standby, Jiffy White Lightning.

MD

Offline fcfcadd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2012, 10:05 PM »
Thanks for the input mainedog. I'm currently looking at the ION, Jiffy and the Ice Gators. Going to do some more homework though. Does anyone have any of these and want to share your experience with them for me?

Offline duckman111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 07, 2012, 10:15 PM »
go with a propane auger had mine for 2 seasons now and love it.

Offline fcfcadd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 08, 2012, 11:52 AM »
I looked into the propane augers but that's another fuel source I'd have to deal with. My main goal here is to be as mobile as possible without having a hot exhaust burning holes in things and having a fuel I have buy from a store.

Offline Rampart Hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 08, 2012, 12:03 PM »
I have also been looking into the electric ice augers. has anyone used a Strike Master Ice Augers Electra Lazer 12000 DP Auger? This thing has some great reviews but I know some sights might erase the bad reviews. I won't get rid of my gas auger but thought it might be fun to try out. They usually run around $400 hundred dollars but in found it for sale for $250. even at that price I don't want to spend money on junk and was hoping someone had some experience with them.

Offline lippy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 08, 2012, 04:39 PM »
question guys. how will it do at 20 below and 4 feet of ice.

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 08, 2012, 04:45 PM »
i made my own out of a wheel chair motor, geared right and 24v (run by 2 vex batteries in series) i get 20 holes through 3' of ice. cheap

Offline lippy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 09, 2012, 09:42 AM »
due you carry spare batties? what i the weight like to a Gasser? could they turn a 8" with a 15" extension on it?

Offline fcfcadd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 09, 2012, 12:19 PM »
I can't say I've ever fished on 4ft of ice. About the only 2 places I fish are Pathfinder and Alcova. Might try and make a trip to Boysen this year though. I won't fish Glendo. To scared of hearing people having to plank getting on and off the ice. To me a fish isn't worth that. I think as long as an electric auger can drill some holes on it's on and then have the option to plug it into my atv and drill until my hearts content and be light enough to handle all day long then it's worth every penny.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Nov 09, 2012, 02:47 PM »
I dont get it. My new (2011) strikemaster 10" weighs only 27 lbs.  Never leaks any fuel, always starts and can drill about 100 holes per tank.  I just cannot see any reason to switch-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 09, 2012, 02:56 PM »
due you carry spare batties? what i the weight like to a Gasser? could they turn a 8" with a 15" extension on it?
I do not carry extra batteries. I drill 8" holes. weight is up there, but if you bought the right wheel chair motor (see pics)
i use this one:

this one would be better

i really like it doest zip through the ice but the power!

Offline BWB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 15, 2012, 08:41 AM »
I bought the Ice Gater Attacker II with Lith-ion battery last year and partnered it with an 8" Nils.  I could not be any happier SO FAR.  First time I checked battery life last year, I was able to drill 72 holes with this combination through 12" of ice (ice was probably a little soft) and I was simply amazed.  Not the cheapest unit out there but worth every penny IMO

Here is video I shot with my phone of it in action

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 15, 2012, 10:08 AM »
Looks like it has plenty of torque. good job!

Offline BWB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 15, 2012, 10:34 AM »
Yeah torque is something it's definately NOT short on  ;D

Offline Walter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 23, 2013, 10:44 AM »
Hi !
Just built this.. a little slow but unstoppable.
12v 2000lb winch..already had auger & old winch
plus about 19.00 in parts.. switches and pipe,

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 23, 2013, 11:24 AM »
 Is it direct drive?

Offline Walter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 23, 2013, 04:22 PM »
Yes,, direct drive ,, momentary thumb switch on handle bar.. forward reverse, polarity switch down in the base.

Offline WyoIceFish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 25, 2013, 09:34 AM »
Have had an Ice Gator for three years now.  Works great but is heavy.  I typically only drill about 10-12 holes in 30" ice per trip and have never run out of battery power.  I think if I were buying one today I would look at the Ion.  I drill 6" and  8" holes with my Nils.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 25, 2013, 12:04 PM »
I'd love a Ion since they are so light, quiet and no gas to deal with.  But I really can't give up my 10" hole. 
Don

Offline paandthewildman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 25, 2013, 04:02 PM »
give it a year and someone will make a 10"

Offline toadly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 26, 2013, 07:35 AM »
I bought the Strike Master Ice Augers Electra Lazer Auger. Great unit. I have had it for 3 seasons now.
There are a few drawbacks though. If you are going to be in sub zero conditions the lead acid batterys suffer. and in the very cold conditions wont work. To get around this I remove the battery and keep it with my propane bottles. In the truck and in the tent.
the drill is good for ten to twenty holes depending on the ice thickness. 10 to 20 inches of ice its good for ten holes. Plenty for me. If you are the only driller in a big group better bring a extra battery. They are a little slower than gas but not that bad. Way faster than a hand drill.

Offline 4Iucky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 26, 2013, 08:33 PM »
Some advice I would give to is be careful where you place your battery on the ice, my buddy was using his electric auger one year and had done like 16-20 holes for all of us he left the battery on the ice and when he went to go move it a couple hours later it had froze to the lake cause the battery had warmed up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.