The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: If you could live any where im Montana ,whete would it he?  (Read 4275 times)

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: If you could live any where im Montana ,whete would it he?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 08, 2019, 04:35 PM »
Another reason I want to move to the Kalispell area as I started fishing bass tournaments again and I plan on fishing more this next year

Plenty, just not close to any bigger town.

Martinsdale, Harlowton, Two Dot, Jordan areas for sure. They are often desperate for new folks to move in.  Houses in those towns are real cheap, getting a rancher to part with 50 acres can be done especially if he thinks he might get some ranch help from the deal. At least that is still the case in Eastern MT, not sure about over the divide. You can Google those places to see and even call the mayors of those little places to get a feel. 

Lewistown, Livingston and around bigger towns/cities or where the farming ground is good not so much.   

Offline gened

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 10, 2019, 01:25 AM »
I just bid my first project for the Kalispell area,   I will try and bid some a few more,  if I get them I will move , Then start advertising for the service work, I would like to target ths flathead and as far as trout creek for work, Its in Gods hands now ,if its meant to be it will work out
Well, Ben if you show up to look at the job, you'll be leading your competitors.  Its hard to get people to respond.  Things are busy. Do you do new new construction only, or do you do repairs and remodeling?

oldschoolben

« Reply #32 on: Jan 10, 2019, 07:19 AM »
Well, Ben if you show up to look at the job, you'll be leading your competitors.  Its hard to get people to respond.  Things are busy. Do you do new new construction only, or do you do repairs and remodeling?

I would prefer service work, repairs to broken pipes, replace water heaters,repair or replace shower valves, faucets , and any other issues with plumbing systems, I was doing new construction, but started targeting service work I bid a job in Kalispell just to het me work until I xan get my name out there,

Offline Mtwolfer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 10, 2019, 09:41 AM »
Alot of people are moving to Montana! "The Last Best Place", most move to the Bitterroot valley, then over to Helena, then further east to Lewistown or Roundup areas. I made the move a few years ago, went to Helena because of "Low crime and the VA hospital is there . They claimed a modest/low population, but there is East Helena, North Helena ,South Helena and it is growing at an Alarming rate ! alot of retired guys! boat ramps packed, river bank crowded. New subdivisions popping up everywhere.

oldschoolben

« Reply #34 on: Jan 11, 2019, 08:05 AM »
Yes the bitterroot is growing ,but I just dont like living here,  I leave every chance I get, to either Noxon reservoir or the lakes in Helena, I haven't fished the bitterroot river in almost 8 years, except a couple times around Lolo for pike, thats why I want to move

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 11, 2019, 11:45 AM »

A good amount of local grown grass hay for horses so I don't have to get it shipped in.

That's an interesting thing to consider.  I've got 3 draft horses and we go through about 1200 bales a year in addition to the grass they eat in the pasture but hay is plentiful in our area and pretty inexpensive.  I've never been to Montana but it sure looks beautiful.  Hoping to take a trip this summer and do some fishing. 

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 11, 2019, 12:27 PM »
That's an interesting thing to consider.  I've got 3 draft horses and we go through about 1200 bales a year in addition to the grass they eat in the pasture but hay is plentiful in our area and pretty inexpensive.  I've never been to Montana but it sure looks beautiful.  Hoping to take a trip this summer and do some fishing.

It's because so much of the state is mountains which means lots of trees and rock and not much ground for hay in those areas of heavy mountain timber. I'm not complaining at all, I love living in the mountains but if you have livestock that eat hay, especially horses that need good grass hay not alfalfa you have to be careful where you move to out here or you will end up paying $250 or more per ton to have it shipped in. What I do here is I contract a hay growing service to grow and harvest hay of the type I specify(we do a 3 grass blend of crested wheatgrass, pubescent wheatgrass and intermediate wheatgrass) and then I hire a crew of Amish kids to pick it out of the field for me onto the flatbed trailer and put it in my barn for the year. Up where we live there is no hay ground so the fields I contract are all down more toward the river in the agricultural area of the valley. It sounds like you are using about 30 ton of hay per year for your draft horses. 30-ish lbs of hay per day for each horse? If you ever moved out this way you would want to be sure to live close to good hay growing areas because to have it shipped in you would be looking at at least $7,500 a year for 30 tons of hay vs $3,900 or so if you live where you can just pick it out of the field yourself. That $3,600 difference per year adds up quick over the years.

oldschoolben

« Reply #37 on: Jan 11, 2019, 04:31 PM »
Lol its so funny hiw topics can totally change from where they start off and end up going, some good info regardless

Offline Jaredat22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 11, 2019, 04:35 PM »
Helena!

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 11, 2019, 06:17 PM »
I have always liked the Potomac Valley. There is good river fishing for trout. Brown's, Seeley, Harper's Lakes are nearby. Helena isn't far away for walleye. There is good deer and elk hunting right at your back door. It is close enough to a few ski areas, if you are into that. You could find plumbing work in the Missoula area.

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 12, 2019, 12:29 PM »
Lol its so funny hiw topics can totally change from where they start off and end up going, some good info regardless

Let’s not forget how common agates are in different places and how close a hobby lobby is.  ::)

oldschoolben

« Reply #41 on: Jan 13, 2019, 09:21 PM »
Let’s not forget how common agates are in different places and how close a hobby lobby is.  ::)
  lol what?

oldschoolben

« Reply #42 on: Jan 14, 2019, 01:48 PM »
I decided on Kalispell,  now I just need to get some jobs lined up

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Jan 14, 2019, 04:12 PM »
Good to hear! I hope you get work lined up right away and get moved up there soon.

oldschoolben

« Reply #44 on: Jan 14, 2019, 05:49 PM »
I'm heading up in the morning to meet meet a few contractors,  I actually have a service call for one of the contractors in Kalispell  meeting her tomorrow morning and try to meet a few more ,then going fishing Wednesday

Offline The Linguist

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Feb 05, 2019, 10:21 PM »
How did it go for you Oldschool? Hopefully it went well.

oldschoolben

« Reply #46 on: Feb 05, 2019, 10:57 PM »
It went well, I got a service call so that paid for my trip, caught a few pike so it was a good trip

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.