The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: SHALLOW WALLEYES!!  (Read 2459 times)

RESERVOIR MANIAC

SHALLOW WALLEYES!!
« on: Feb 02, 2005, 03:40 AM »
we've been catching all of are walleyes between 3-18 ft, with most of them coming from 3-6 ft.  most of them are small between 12-15 inches but we've pulled out quite a few in the nice 18-22 inch range. one was a 29 inch hog, it came out of 10-12ft. we are fishing a rocky point that drops off into 30 ft. we fish the 30 ft hole during midafternoon then a hour before dark we set up real shallow. from then until 2-3 in the morning is on fire. we use tip ups, and slip bobber mainly...tried some jigging but it never seems to work for us. rainbows,fatheads and golden shiners do the best for the eyes. anyone else having any luck? what depths? structure? lure choice?ect.

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: SHALLOW WALLEYES!!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2005, 03:42 AM »
What lake have you been fishing?

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Jiggathon

« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2005, 04:15 PM »
yeah what lake is that? and man thats shallow for walleyes to be feeding in the winter

Offline CedarLaker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • CEDAR LAKER!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2005, 07:36 AM »
Out on twin you get that all year round because the deepest I have found is 8' eeven tho the lake gets to 14 suposedly.
CedarLaker-----FINALLY GOT OUT on DECEMBER 16!!

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2005, 04:21 AM »
I know on the lake that I use to live on, I had some of the best walleye fishing I've ever had in less than 4 ft of water.  If we had a steady wind for a couple of days blowing into a certain spot, they'd pile up in the cabbage, & I'd fish 'em just like bass.  I'd take a 1/16th jig tipped with a big ol' crawler & flip it into 'em.  Man, I pulled alotta fish outta there doing that once I figured it out!  That was in the summer, though.  I have caught a few walleyes in about 8 ft of water late in the ice season when I'm getting craps in shallow.

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline CedarLaker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • CEDAR LAKER!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2005, 05:25 PM »
yeah I don't know I haven't fished many deep lakes yet in my life except mille lacs (i'm only 14) but I think the walleyes will be anywhere the food is. Just depends but I do know walleyes tend to stick to deeper areas. and on the deeper lakes I have fished, mille lacs we catch themm in the deepest part of a hole.
CedarLaker-----FINALLY GOT OUT on DECEMBER 16!!

RESERVOIR MANIAC

« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2005, 04:32 AM »
it's lake byllesby, it's actually a resevoir, walleyes move out of deep water and feed in the shallows at night, everywhere i go i catch walleyes shallow at anytime of the year, i have 2 10lbers on the wall that came out of less then 5 feet of water. i've caught way more walleye shallow then i have deep, the part i didn't mention is my lucky hole is in 3 1/2 feet of water but the ice is 30 inches....that actually means it's a foot of water right in the rocks! same goes with the crappies, anytime you have cover and food the fish will be there but the secret is you need deep water near, where i fish if you go out another 10-20 yards it's 30ft. so they just pop out of the depths and smack stuff at night all the way up to a foot deep!

Rock Bottom

« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2005, 08:46 AM »
It is just like our lake here in Manitoba, Lake Dauphin is 12 ft at its deepest hole and full of walleye. It was ranked 14th in Canada for a walleye fishery we catch most of our fish in 5 ft of water including the three feet of ice. Yep 2ft under the ice sometimes less, you are definately right about deep in the day shallow in the eve. That is exactley how it is on lake of the prairies here as well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.