Author Topic: Chinese snowmobiles  (Read 5625 times)

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Chinese snowmobiles
« Reply #30 on: Feb 02, 2021, 07:36 PM »
Since we're talking tundras...my 1998 tundra lt r just quit on me on the way to go fishing.  Buzzing along good until the thing just quit like I hit the kill switch.  Have spark, fuel and very good compression.  Am I looking at trying to find a cdi unit?  Any and all help is appreciated!!
Are you running mixed gas or are you using the original oil injection system?
I had the plastic gear in my oiler go out on my 99 TundraR which was a common problem. My engine seized so my dad rebuilt it
Then I just started running premixed gas.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 03, 2021, 10:30 AM »
Are you running mixed gas or are you using the original oil injection system?
I had the plastic gear in my oiler go out on my 99 TundraR which was a common problem. My engine seized so my dad rebuilt it
Then I just started running premixed gas.

Still running injection. I have 2 engines, so if it goes, I am still covered.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 03, 2021, 11:03 AM »
Injection still here.  Thought about a delete but it works fine and I keep an eye on it.  Still toss a little glug of oil in the fuel just for piece of mind.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 03, 2021, 02:09 PM »
Since we're talking tundras...my 1998 tundra lt r just quit on me on the way to go fishing.  Buzzing along good until the thing just quit like I hit the kill switch.  Have spark, fuel and very good compression.  Am I looking at trying to find a cdi unit?  Any and all help is appreciated!!

If you have spark, fuel, and compression, it should run. One of those must be bad.

When you check compression, are you using the plug? If there is a short or open in the plug, that would pass the test and fail to run. Try a new plug- they are cheap.

Than you say fuel, does it fire when you use starter fluid? If so, you have spark and probably no fuel or bad fuel. Might have gotten water in the lines. and froze it there.

If it is not this things, I suppose it could be the ignition, or maybe the ignition switch or some other part of the ignition causing timing to be bad. Does yours have reverse?

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 03, 2021, 02:32 PM »
Yes has reverse.  Compression test was done old school as my tester is currently borrowed out, but it blows my thumb right off plug hole.  Will have tester back tomorrow but I'm sure it's 120-125.
 Spark goes away and comes back with kill switch and emergency tether so those 2 things are working properly.  Nice blue spark, fresh fuel with xp3 added but won't even burp with fuel in the cylinder.

Cdi unit is $500 but I am leaning towards that being at fault.

Offline chaumontriverguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 03, 2021, 03:48 PM »
Unplug key switch and ck to see if it starts also make sure throttle safety switch isn't screwing up to although I dunno if skidoo has that just hold slight pressure on throttle , usually cdi is like a light switch either it works or it doesn't but that's usually

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #36 on: Feb 03, 2021, 04:10 PM »
If you have spark and compression, will it fire with a squirt of fuel down the cylinder?  If you have good spark and good compression, I would be looking at the fuel circuit.  I've had fuel pumps go bad and even bad fuel lines cause a no start condition.  Once the in tank stainer came off in the fuel tank.  The line floated up and would suck air.  I would fill up the tank and it would run great until it started to suck some air again. Fuel, compression and spark at the right time is all you need.  If you have two of the three it won't work.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.