The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Horseshoe chain cats  (Read 1880 times)

Offline Plharroun

• IceShanty Rookie
Horseshoe chain cats
« on: Nov 08, 2018, 12:07 AM »
Never been to the horseshoe chain before but I’ve always wanted to go and chance ice cats. I know there’s a lot of current and areas to avoid. Anyone have any tips or tricks? Not looking to take anyone’s spot as I’m very willing to put in the work... it’s part of the fun.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Horseshoe chain cats
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2018, 02:01 AM »
Follow the crowd... lol.  There's enough people fishing that you can sort of follow the crowd.  That doesn't mean that they're on a hot spot either.  Sometimes you need to explore a little but don't venture too far off as said unknown soft or weak ice.  There's enough catfish that moving like 20 to 30 yards can put you onto an active school of kitties.

Don't forget to hit the deeper holes of each lake as they offer crappies suspended.  The underwater humps for some walleyes.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2018, 07:12 PM »
the one BIG thing is : "DO NOT USE THE SUMMER TIME ACCESS" for horseshoe lake, it is right on the sauk river and there is water moving under the ice. the winter access is about a mile or so down the road from the summer access. once you get to it you will turn right onto horseshoe lake or if you turn and go left you will be on cedar island lake. Horse shoe lake also has what is referred to as the "meth hole", it is a area over 50 feet of water where the ice does not freeze all winter or in the rare event of a really cold winter it might skim over with ice. the reason it stays open is because of methane gas coming off the bottom of the lake there. I can try to mark the approximate area on a map and then scan it in to my computer so I can added it here.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2018, 07:37 PM »

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2018, 07:53 PM »
here are some videos that where all filmed on the horseshoe chain.

these 4 were filmed by Dtrofishon (aka: Darren). He does have more so check out his channel.

This was one done by Ice Team

Offline Plharroun

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2018, 07:23 PM »
Thank you for all the great information. It’s very much appreciated.

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2018, 11:47 PM »
I got up there last year for the first time and I'd recommend it! It was a riot (video link below). It wouldn't have happened without some local angler knowledge though as we had a buddy give us the information about not using the summer access (which I see is posted above). He also warned us of some thin ice at the time and areas to avoid. Local bait shops could probably help and there might be some users from that area on this forum. I'd provide more information if I was more familar with it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.