Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 539155 times)

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #3390 on: Dec 29, 2018, 09:29 PM »
I didn't look someone else did
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Why can't it go from warm to instant fishable ice?
« Reply #3391 on: Dec 30, 2018, 10:55 AM »
Headed up to Freeman Sunday to check things out, and will report what we find/catch...besides a buzz :) :tipup:

What did you find at Freeman?
Doing what I do best, exploiting the natural resources of the world.

Offline PLumpee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3392 on: Dec 30, 2018, 11:52 AM »
I failed at my Keto diet this fall and have a few extra pounds on me. Since the ice seamed pretty thin I went steelhead fishing. I have been sitting in a hot steamy car on the bank with my best buddy and our dogs. Rain is coming down in sheets sideways and we are about out of lotion and lunch meat.  I hope this ice fishing season starts soon!!

Offline No.IDea

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3393 on: Dec 30, 2018, 06:10 PM »
Fished Freeman today for a few hours. The ice around the boat launch was pretty sketchy, and it took a bit to gain the courage to venture out. Once we were past 20-30 ft, I felt much better about the situation. There's roughly 6" of ice under about 2 inches of slush and water. Nothing landed but lots of little bites; must have been dinks. We didn't venture to the backside where I usually fish and slay the largemouth, but will likely return next week. I could have easily walked across the whole lake, but I stopped about 1/2 way. Killed a few, but those were mostly in the can variety; all at 12oz. Came back very wet, but alive.

Also stopped at Twin on the way back. Looks like the ice is probably a week away from being good enough to fish on the upper side, and the lower side was chuck full of drill holes where some crazy person had been out fishing. Lots of water on top of that ice too.  :tipup: :tipup:

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3394 on: Dec 31, 2018, 07:25 AM »
Got a report that kelso has 3" of ice and 1.5" of it is good ice
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3395 on: Dec 31, 2018, 08:14 AM »
15 degrees here in the Garwood area.  Hopefully things will tighten up this week.  Fingers crossed.

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3396 on: Dec 31, 2018, 06:15 PM »
Checked Chase Lake today.  Someone had drilled a line of holes the other day towards the middle of the Lake and it looked like it was right after that snow and rain a few days ago.  Where the holes were there was 3 inches of ice with 2 inches of water on top.  (It was clearly sloppy and slushy when the holes were drilled).  Once you got about 4 feet from the holes....things were solid.  I drilled a series of holes and had a consistent 5 inches of solid ice out to the middle.  I imagine the next few nights will help thicken the ice some more.  I’ll likely try Chase tomorrow....

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3397 on: Dec 31, 2018, 06:16 PM »
Also.....no ice on Priest yet. 

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3398 on: Jan 01, 2019, 07:43 PM »
Fished Chase Lake this afternoon for 2 1/2 hours.  One bite and didn’t see much on the Marcum.  Ice was still solid and was 5- 5 1/4 inches. Overall added about 1/4 inch to the thickness since yesterday. 

Going to try Blue Lake tomorrow.  Has anyone checked it lately?

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3399 on: Jan 02, 2019, 02:27 AM »
Fished Chase Lake this afternoon for 2 1/2 hours.  One bite and didn’t see much on the Marcum.  Ice was still solid and was 5- 5 1/4 inches. Overall added about 1/4 inch to the thickness since yesterday. 

Going to try Blue Lake tomorrow.  Has anyone checked it lately?
Thanks for the update. I will try to check out Mirror tomorrow.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3400 on: Jan 02, 2019, 01:18 PM »
Going to go check Avondale today

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3401 on: Jan 02, 2019, 02:33 PM »
1-2" of ice and a crap ton of rocks thrown onto the ice

Offline Jraystevens21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3402 on: Jan 02, 2019, 02:36 PM »
Fernan was was same way rocks EVERYWHERE  2 inches or so at the dock and probably 3.5 to maybe 4 at the pond  by the freeway

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3403 on: Jan 02, 2019, 04:13 PM »
I imagine we are going to see open water again looking at the local forecast for the next 10 days. Temps in the 40's.  >:(

Offline Accident Prone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3404 on: Jan 02, 2019, 06:58 PM »
Spring Valley is good to go. 1" layer of ice over an inch of water over about 5" of ice. Plenty of slime rocket planted rainbows to be had, but it was nice getting out there.

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3405 on: Jan 02, 2019, 08:13 PM »
Blue Lake had 5 inches of solid ice today.  Fished for a 1 1/2 hours and pulled in 2 small perch and had a few light bites.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3406 on: Jan 03, 2019, 09:15 AM »
Blue Lake had 5 inches of solid ice today.  Fished for a 1 1/2 hours and pulled in 2 small perch and had a few light bites.
which bluelake are you referring to

Offline Vandal78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3407 on: Jan 03, 2019, 10:51 AM »
which bluelake are you referring to
I would imagine he is referring to the Blue Lake north of Priest River.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3408 on: Jan 03, 2019, 12:16 PM »
Just trying to make sure cause I've found 3 blue lakes in Idaho 2 in the panhandle  area and one in southern  Idaho

Offline Vandal78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3409 on: Jan 03, 2019, 03:27 PM »
Just trying to make sure cause I've found 3 blue lakes in Idaho 2 in the panhandle  area and one in southern  Idaho
Yeah that would be my guess. The other one in the panhandle I'm not sure you can even access without permission, pretty much landlocked by private. Also if it looks like any of the other lakes nearby you would be better off fishing it by boat right now. :'(

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3410 on: Jan 03, 2019, 04:06 PM »
Yeah that would be my guess. The other one in the panhandle I'm not sure you can even access without permission, pretty much landlocked by private. Also if it looks like any of the other lakes nearby you would be better off fishing it by boat right now. :'(

Can anyone recall having a "winter" this mild?

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3411 on: Jan 03, 2019, 05:03 PM »
Can anyone recall having a "winter" this mild?
Yep, afraid so.   Seems like it was in the mid 80's.  Its early yet, but I doesn't look very good. 
Stopped by Round lake just before noon.  About 2" of ice + or - .   Footprints going out from the dock a hundred feet or so.  Stupid!

Offline perchhead1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3412 on: Jan 04, 2019, 08:43 AM »
I had been out on a couple of lakes in Boundary co.  The ice had been ok, but with this warm up the ice is not safe on any of our Boundary Co. Lakes.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3413 on: Jan 04, 2019, 10:47 AM »
I had been out on a couple of lakes in Boundary co.  The ice had been ok, but with this warm up the ice is not safe on any of our Boundary Co. Lakes.

Last report  I got from another  site said that  all the lakes had 6" of ice and that was 2 days ago  could  you check  bonners lake please if you can I really  want  go fish it this weekend  and don't  want to waste time or gas just to find  it unsafe

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3414 on: Jan 04, 2019, 12:16 PM »
Yes....the Blue Lake I’m referring to is the one north of Priest River. 

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3415 on: Jan 04, 2019, 12:21 PM »
I know I said earlier in the week that I would check out Mirror Lk but it didn't happen. I was wondering if anyone else had checked it out?

Offline perchhead1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3416 on: Jan 04, 2019, 05:33 PM »
I was on Bonner Lake on Tue before the warm up, there was about 4 to maybe 5 inches of good ice, maybe more like 4. I would be ok if the nights would be getting cold but they have not.  I had planned a weekend trip with a buddy but cancelled it. I was a little nervous out on the ice on Tue as I was alone.

Offline WinterWizard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3417 on: Jan 05, 2019, 11:02 PM »
Drove up to Spirit Lake to see if I could launch my boat there. Too much ice at the launch west of town for a boat and not enough for ice fishing. Lake about 95% open water.
Twin Lakes was another story. Both upper and lower froze over. Looked like good ice but hadn't taken my spud or auger, so didn't venture out on the ice.
Hauser's south 2/3 froze with what looked like decent ice but north end opened. I've got the spud in the P/U now.

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3418 on: Jan 06, 2019, 10:36 PM »
Fished Blue Lake (north of Priest River) today.  Still a solid 5 inches of ice.  Last night we had a skiff of snow and that coupled with some sunshine left a surface that was soft maybe a 1/4 inch deep.  Other than that we had some perch at 7-8 inches and some crappie that we kept.  The bite was very light and the Marcum helped with the crappie.

Temps up here are showing a high of 32 tomorrow and a low tomorrow night of 20.  Might be good ice for a few more days before the temps stay warm.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3419 on: Jan 07, 2019, 07:12 PM »
Well Kelso has 5.75" of ice held my  larger than the door on a polar bird ice hub buttox and was there from 3:20pm-4:30pm  caught one trout before  I left

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.