The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Prior service Montana ice fisherman :)  (Read 5272 times)

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
Prior service Montana ice fisherman :)
« on: Jan 01, 2019, 12:27 PM »
So rather than hijack the inline reel thread any further I figured we can start another one. If you served and are an ice shanty member post up your branch of service and MOS. Montana has one of the highest rates of enlistment in the US armed forces of any state in our great nation. Let us know who you are and where and how you served.

Continued from the other thread:
Semper Fi brothers!  0351 here, 1976-1979.  One year Oki, two at the Stumps!  Sorry for hi-jacking the post, couldn't resist.

What did 51s shoot in 76-79? When I was in they shot the SMAW and were used as breachers when we did house to house type work. I got out in 2002 and they still had 51s then, but I guess they don't anymore starting last year. I'm starting feel like a relic when I look at the Corps new weapons systems and the fact they don't use open sights to qualify anymore etc. Everything has changed so much in just a few years, mostly for the better though so that's a good thing :)

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Prior service Montana ice fisherman :)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2019, 12:32 PM »
If I could get the Corps to implement one thing though I would get them to implement a dual rifle platform where all infantry have two uppers, one chambered in 358 win with 225 grain steel core bullets for room clearing, checkpoint and urban work and the other in 7mm-08 for distance work in places like Afghanistan etc. where we really need to be able to reach out and touch them with significant wallop at ranges over 400 meters. It will never happen but I think if they did that it would save a lot of lives and give us the fire power with the performance we need in the places we need it.

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2019, 01:10 PM »
Good idea. Thanks!

UASF.  MAC, SAC, ACC, AFSOC 1977-1992.

Gulf War, Panama, Cold War.

Altus OK (Only ice fisherman ever on Lake Tom Steed ::), Grand Forks ND (Devils Lake on weekends and C Squared :tipup:), Langley VA (very little ice),  Hurlburt Field Fla (no ice, ever).   ;D 

E8

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2019, 01:43 PM »
Grew up in Wisconsin and loved ice fishing.  US Army, 1969-1971.  Artillery Chief of Firing Battery.  Set the guns.  Volunteered for Nam.  Passenger in a car accident the day before deployment.  Fx back & neck.  Disabled vet but ambulatory.  Nothing but good things to say about those who've served this great nation.  "Rock on Vets".

Offline hardwaternmyveins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2019, 01:48 PM »
USN  July 2001-2010 active and still in the Reserves.  In the 'Nav we don't have no MOS! ;D We have designators- 1310 and 1315- Translated=Naval Aviator

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2019, 03:02 PM »
USN  July 2001-2010 active and still in the Reserves.  In the 'Nav we don't have no MOS! ;D We have designators- 1310 and 1315- Translated=Naval Aviator

What did you fly?

I loved working with navy guys. Did quite a bit of work with A7 and F14 guys at Fleet Ex’s and with SEAls at both Norfolk and Rosy Rhodes in PR.

Liked working with Marine F4 jocks as well.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2019, 05:31 PM »
I dont care how old any of you guys are lol. I appreciate all of you!

Offline Hammer1Down

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2019, 05:58 PM »
US Army 2006-2013, started as a reservist supply guy then got tired of desk life and then spent the majority of the time as an Infantryman, quickly becoming a designated marksman.  Stationed Korea, Colorado and Afghanistan

Offline pelter4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2019, 06:11 PM »
Army 82nd Airborne 11B2P  [paratrooper-infantry] 1969-72

Mizayikaa

« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2019, 06:20 PM »
I dont care how old any of you guys are lol. I appreciate all of you!
X2. Or how young. Thank you for your service.

oldschoolben

« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2019, 07:39 PM »
11 bravo papa , stationed at Fort Irwin , later changed mos to ,  11 mike

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2019, 09:58 AM »
As Missoula Fish and Mizayikaa both said, no matter young or old, thank you for your service. My dad did his time in the infantry during the Korean Conflict. He was an avid outdoorsman. Dropped a vehicle into Canyon Ferry years ago back. Survived that too. Rest in Peace pops!!!

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2019, 11:03 AM »
I was an 0352 as my primary MOS but did 2 years in London England as an 8152 which is a secondary MOS. I'm not sure if other services have that or not? Basically you go do something other than your primary MOS for a few years and then go back to your primary MOS. The command in London no longer exists but other MCSF units still do. In my primary MOS I was with WPNSco 2/1 in a CAAT team platoon. I spent all but about 6 months of my entire service deployed overseas to various operation theaters. For 6 months between deployments I was in Camp Pendleton for training and we went to CAX in 29 Palms, we also did helo insertion training ops in Yuma, mountain warfare survival school up in Bridgeport, and spotting and reporting of illegals for the border patrol south of camp Morena. Prior to my first duty station I did bootcamp, and SOI on the west coast and security forces school in the great dismal swamp in Virginia. I wanted to be a Marine since I was in the 8th grade, and I wanted to be infantry so I got my wish and I had fun times and some really bad times but overall it was a good experience although not much translated to skills I could use as a civilian. I don't regret doing any of it.

I served with guys from the Navy, trained with the Army, got my hand repaired by an air force surgeon, and got to do training on a joint USN and USCG base. Of all the services the USAF and USCG have by far and away the best chow halls. The USCG chow hall was like eating at a restaurant, it was that good. If I had it to do over again and hadn't been hurt I would have liked to have done a 3 year stint in the Army with one of the Airborne units right after I got out of the Marines, and then after that do a 2 - 3 year stint as a Corpsman in the Navy just to experience the other services first hand. Unfortunately that wasn't to be as my injuries made it so that I could not re-up into the other services as anything other than a hard core desk POG and that didn't appeal to me so I ended up going to college instead.

Snitch#8 that is cool you got to use that recoiless rifle, I have always wanted to see one in real life.

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2019, 11:09 AM »
11 bravo papa , stationed at Fort Irwin , later changed mos to ,  11 mike

11BP would have been the bomb to experience!

That is what my Grandfather did. His platoon was part of the 101st in Operation Market Garden during WWII, everybody in his platoon besides him and one other guy got killed there.

Offline pelter4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2019, 11:58 AM »
11BP would have been the bomb to experience!

I was 11BP in Vietnam. You need to thank he Lord you NEVER had to experience being an Infantrymen. As far as recoiless rifles we had 106mm ( jeep mounted) and 90mm (shoulder fired) at our disposable but we rarely used them. Instead we carried LAWS. Very light and great for wasting bunkers and thoroughly messing up Charlies day! Plus, once used you just threw them away. Kind of a Mattel toy for big boys.:)

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2019, 01:06 PM »
I was 11BP in Vietnam. You need to thank he Lord you NEVER had to experience being an Infantrymen. As far as recoiless rifles we had 106mm ( jeep mounted) and 90mm (shoulder fired) at our disposable but we rarely used them. Instead we carried LAWS. Very light and great for wasting bunkers and thoroughly messing up Charlies day! Plus, once used you just threw them away. Kind of a Mattel toy for big boys.:)

To clarify 0352 is infantry, all USMC MOSs starting with 03 are. 0352 is just usually mounted in Hummers and not airborne as in dropped by parachute, we did helo insertions insertions but usually with FAVs (tiny little dune Jeep looking things) they were replaced later in my service by IFAV which look like a tiny truck and after I got out those were replaced by ITV-LSV. Somewhere toward the end of my service they started replacing the helo born insertions with the Osprey based insertions but my unit wasn't one of the ones in the initial push to the Osprey so I got lucky. I saw enough fatal accidents in the helo insertions that made me glad I never had to fly in an Osprey.

I always wanted to experience jumping out of a plane en-mass like the Army does. Marine Corps jump wings are hard to come by and airborne insertion via jump is usually very small units e.g. 2 - 5 Marines for things like ANGLICO and recon. I wasn't in any elite units like that, I was just a regular grunt.

In the more recent war on terror we (0352s) got used as regular infantry (0311, 0331) because the enemy had no armor to speak of so I spent all but my first two years pounding the ground like a regular 0311. Those first two years was mostly CQB in urban environments, but when we got to do personal protection detail for brass traveling overseas it was a lot of fun, the rest of it not so much.

We had LAWs when I first joined, not sure what happened to them?

Offline pelter4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2019, 01:27 PM »

I always wanted to experience jumping out of a plane en-mass like the Army does. Marine Corps jump wings are hard to come by and airborne insertion via jump is usually very small units e.g. 2 - 5 Marines for things like ANGLICO and recon. I wasn't in any elite units like that, I was just a regular grunt.

Except for one jump by the 173rd abn, there were no mass jumps in Nam. After Vietnam I was assigned the he 82nd abn in Ft. Bragg were I made 32 jumps out of a half dozen different types of aircraft. A few of the jumps we had a hundreds of troopers jumping together. I hated them because there was just to many bodies in the air at the same time. It made it hard to enjoy the ride :)  My favorite jumps were out of Huey's.

Offline pelter4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2019, 01:44 PM »
To clarify 0352 is infantry, all USMC MOSs starting with 03 are.]

Sorry, I didn't see you were in the USMC. My bad. I guess I need to read the whole thread before I say anything. Thank's for you service and now back to ice fishing :)

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2019, 02:19 PM »
I would like to add my thanks and appreciation to all of you that served or might still be serving!!

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2019, 02:24 PM »
  Thank's for you service and now back to ice fishing :)

Thank you for your service as well!

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2019, 08:26 PM »
Thanks for your service, it means a lot.
There was an ad online from a woman at the VA in Helena[ activity director] asking for ice fishing combos, auger, basic tackle.
I talked to her a few times and sent her some gear.
She moved and nobody knows anything about the gear.[ not going to worry about it]
So I am still interested in taking a few vets or wounded warriors ice fishing,
 Anyone know who I should contact?.
I have enough gear for 15 guys.
Any thoughts?, I'm all ears.
Thanks Again
FP1 [Steve]

Offline jclements7869

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2019, 07:18 AM »
USN here. 95-99 BM3 on the USS Normandy CG-60. Nothing like the calm of the ocean on a bad ass warship!!

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2019, 08:51 AM »
USN here. 95-99 BM3 on the USS Normandy CG-60. Nothing like the calm of the ocean on a bad ass warship!!

Were you on the Normandy when they launched the Tomahawks for Operation Deliberate Force? Going in on the ground after the ship and air strikes the damage was something to behold for sure. I imagine seeing the launches from the ship in person would have been intense.

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2019, 09:07 AM »
Thanks for your service, it means a lot.
There was an ad online from a woman at the VA in Helena[ activity director] asking for ice fishing combos, auger, basic tackle.
I talked to her a few times and sent her some gear.
She moved and nobody knows anything about the gear.[ not going to worry about it]
So I am still interested in taking a few vets or wounded warriors ice fishing,
 Anyone know who I should contact?.
I have enough gear for 15 guys.
Any thoughts?, I'm all ears.
Thanks Again
FP1 [Steve]

I'm not sure honestly who you would contact. In Sanders county we have a veteran's ride service, we have a VFW and there is a day in spring where there is a big function not associated with any specific group that I know of with a raffle and give away stuff and have booths with veteran's info, a BBQ etc. but I forget what it is called. You could probably advertise there for ice fishing trips for vets. One of my close friend's dad's is a Vietnam vet and he was the one who invited me to it originally. Let me get a hold of him and ask him if they are still doing those and if they are I will get you the contact info for whoever is in charge.

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2019, 12:42 PM »
Need to do a vet ice fishing trip. More bullcrapting than fishing I bet! ;D

Offline stitch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 03, 2019, 01:14 PM »
Not a vet but want thank youguys .god bless.

Offline BK_Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 03, 2019, 03:08 PM »
Great thread Cornbread!

I appreciate the service of all those who came before me, and those currently serving.

As for me:

2005-2011
SGT/U.S.M.C.
5831 (Military Police Corrections)/ 8156 (Marine Security Guard/Embassy Duty)

I spent 3 years with the brightest and finest as a brig guard at Camp Pendleton Base Brig, decided to extend my contract in order to take a B-billet. The career planner said "Well you can be a recruiter, drill instructor, or Marine Security Guard." I told him I am not really that great at lying to people so I wouldn't be a good recruiter, didn't really want to go back and get hazed at D.I. school and permanently damage my vocal cords, so I will go with the MSG which was a great decision!

MSG EMBASSY POSTS:

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Kampala, Uganda
Tallinn, Estonia

Between leave and special visits I had the opportunity to explore 20+ foreign countries, but at the end of the day I realized just how good I had it being able to grow up in Kalispell and wanted to come back here more than anything, but it took leaving to put everything in perspective! Like many, it's been a struggle trying to find that same sense of purpose and meaning in the civilian sector, but it's definitely been the biggest challenge and most meaningful experience I will ever have, NO REGRETS!

~Semper Fidelis~

Offline BK_Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 03, 2019, 03:22 PM »
Fortpeck1,

Steve, I know of at least two non-profits who would love to talk to you and could set set you up with some disabled vets or wounded warriors to take ice fishing. It's great to see people like you who are willing to do this and it certainly makes a difference to a lot of these veterans. I will post the websites below:

https://montanawoundedwarriors.org/
http://www.montanawarriorsonthewater.com/

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 03, 2019, 04:51 PM »
BK_Fisherman,

Did you know a Master Sergeant Matt Fiske at the Camp Pendleton brig by any chance? I served with him when he was a corporal and I was a pfc on my first tour.

Offline jclements7869

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 03, 2019, 05:38 PM »
Cornbread I was not. I got to her shortly after that happened. I served with everyone that was and I have saw all the footage of the launch. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that launch. I was on her in the gulf the next go round. I saw plenty of shots taken off her SAM, STS, 5 inch, torpedo as well as the little hell bringing R2D2 looking Phalanx system.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.