New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Delta Lake  (Read 86997 times)

Offline gary31smith

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Delta Lake
« Reply #810 on: Feb 19, 2014, 06:12 PM »
Caught a 34" 10lb northern pipe and a 21 1/4" walleye on Sat in the Lee center Rod and Gun Club Derby. Each one won 2ND place. It was a nice day visiting from Pa.

Offline Dhorning

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #811 on: Feb 21, 2014, 09:15 AM »
Do you guys fish the deep water or ledges for the pike out here?

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #812 on: Feb 21, 2014, 09:56 AM »
I fish towards weed beds and off set back points in any lake.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #813 on: Feb 21, 2014, 03:21 PM »
Do you guys fish the deep water or ledges for the pike out here?

Good luck finding ledges on delta.. Its not that type of lake structurally speaking... Delta has shoals/gravel bars here and there... Some mounds of rocks etc etc... But the only drop offs are that of the shore going into the water... Your best spots for Pike on delta are going to be areas where there are weeds and funnels under the water or pinch points if you will.. And knowing those locations just means you have to get out there and fish.. If your looking to roll the dice just go camp out in front of the beach they cruise through there from time to time..
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline Dhorning

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #814 on: Feb 21, 2014, 09:17 PM »
Thanks jus tryin to get ideas on the lake never fished it

Offline gubby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #815 on: Feb 22, 2014, 09:51 PM »
heading to delta in the AM and brining my kids, has anybody been out there today and can tell me how much sluch is on the lake. dont want my kids getting wet feet and having to leave early.

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #816 on: Feb 23, 2014, 04:56 PM »
How's the water?did the rain turn delta into chocolate milk?
It's not that fishing is so important, it's just that so many things in life are so much less important

Offline Karas3434

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #817 on: Feb 23, 2014, 10:02 PM »
I was out sat, water was surprisingly decent given the rain. Pretty much 0 snow out there but 1" of ice over 5" of water over 14" of ice . It was tough going with the wheeler and fishing was slow. hopefully cold weather this week will freeze everything solid again.

Offline facciolo30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #818 on: Feb 26, 2014, 06:24 AM »
I was planning on fishing the north side of the lake near the boat launch. I have never ice fished delta so I'm not sure if the ice is safe there. Any Ideas? are there areas that i need to stay awy from?

Thank you 

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #819 on: Feb 26, 2014, 07:43 AM »
I was planning on fishing the north side of the lake near the boat launch. I have never ice fished delta so I'm not sure if the ice is safe there. Any Ideas? are there areas that i need to stay awy from?

Thank you
You talking about the boat launch at the state park ? Or that access point way up on the north end ? If so never seen anyone fishing up that way it at most has gotta be 3-5 foot deep and REALLY weedy... The state park boat launch out in front of the launch channel can be good

Offline Facciolo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #820 on: Feb 26, 2014, 09:22 AM »
Somehow I managed to get two screen names. No I meant the paid launch/ bait shop. There is that 20 ft channel out in front.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #821 on: Feb 26, 2014, 11:34 AM »
Somehow I managed to get two screen names. No I meant the paid launch/ bait shop. There is that 20 ft channel out in front.
you must mean the old A.O.K campground... Not sure what the deal is there, last i knew they weren't open so i couldn't tell you.. Never seen anyone enter the lake through there unless they live over there.. Most everyone I know gets on the lake from the backset or the beach...That area infront of A.O.K that i think you are speaking of definately isnt 20ft deep now that whole are is relatively shallow 10ft or less this time of year..

Offline Vfrancis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #822 on: Feb 26, 2014, 04:14 PM »
Dos any one have a snow ice report for delta going to fish it sat and looking to see how the walk is going to be

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #823 on: Feb 26, 2014, 04:41 PM »
I'm hoping with today's wind it blew some snow off the lakes and froze the slush up
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline Vfrancis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #824 on: Feb 26, 2014, 05:16 PM »
Whats the best spot to get bait around delta first time fishing there so any help would be great times also please.

Offline coldfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #825 on: Feb 26, 2014, 06:26 PM »
Hometown bait 9835 river rd marcy ny  best bait you can get he opens at 5am.  phone 534-9740

Offline Vfrancis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #826 on: Feb 26, 2014, 06:37 PM »
Hometown bait 9835 river rd marcy ny  best bait you can get he opens at 5am.  phone 534-9740
thanks for the info on the bait shop

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #827 on: Feb 26, 2014, 07:20 PM »
Yep. Taylor is the best around. He will help ya out any way he can.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline Facciolo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #828 on: Feb 27, 2014, 06:53 AM »
you must mean the old A.O.K campground... Not sure what the deal is there, last i knew they weren't open so i couldn't tell you.. Never seen anyone enter the lake through there unless they live over there.. Most everyone I know gets on the lake from the backset or the beach...That area infront of A.O.K that i think you are speaking of definately isnt 20ft deep now that whole are is relatively shallow 10ft or less this time of year..

Thank you for the advice going to try delta this weekend.

Offline szes0

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #829 on: Mar 01, 2014, 10:05 AM »
went to delta yesterday (fri) got there at 7 am first ones on the lake were set up by 8 only about 2 in snow in some spots no flags until about 130 then we were running and 13 flags until 3 managed to land a 14 in crappie and a 19 1/2 waldo it was our first time there and will def. go back easy on and off and for just picking a spot and getting action was great me and my 2 buddies have been out a lot this year on several lakes and had nothing . for some 2 fish is not good but that was some kinda action for us .

Offline Travis9490

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #830 on: Mar 01, 2014, 11:29 AM »
How much ice was there
hard ice is the only way to go

Offline szes0

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #831 on: Mar 01, 2014, 12:32 PM »
there was over 2 foot travis im guessing is was standing over the top of my gas auger when i popped through

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #832 on: Mar 03, 2014, 06:08 AM »
I was planning on trying Delta for the first time this week, I'll be on a sled. I was wondering about the ice/snow conditions and if there are any slush issues? Any information would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #833 on: Mar 03, 2014, 06:29 AM »
Fished Sat & Sun. Measured 18+ inches of ice. Anywhere from 1 - 4 or 5 inches of snow on top. No problems getting around on sleds, wheelers or walking. Didn't come across any slush in our travels. Good luck.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #834 on: Mar 03, 2014, 06:42 AM »
Thanks, working on my bucket list, hoping to get my first Northern Pike through the ice!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Vfrancis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #835 on: Mar 03, 2014, 06:56 AM »
I was planning on trying Delta for the first time this week, I'll be on a sled. I was wondering about the ice/snow conditions and if there are any slush issues? Any information would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Bart fished delta sat lots of ice no slush and there was a two seat Polaris UTV out on the ice no problem I was walking pulling a Smitty sled with a heavy propane power auger not a problem. If you have never fished there before take 10 ft off from any map you look at they lower the water levels that much. It kinda threw me off at first.  Deep water is farther out than you think.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #836 on: Mar 03, 2014, 07:07 AM »
Vfrancis, Wow! Thanks, that's good to know! These great March ice conditions are awesome, can't wait to get at it...
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Vfrancis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #837 on: Mar 03, 2014, 07:11 AM »
Vfrancis, Wow! Thanks, that's good to know! These great March ice conditions are awesome, can't wait to get at it...
we are going back out on the 14 my son wants to go to monster trucks at the dome this sat

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #838 on: Mar 03, 2014, 07:15 AM »
I get out there, I'll update you.
  Keep America Godly...

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #839 on: Mar 03, 2014, 09:35 AM »
Can't really help ya with pike on that lake other than look on the contour maps for the weed beds in 6-12fow. I know some big fish have been pulled out of there this year and idk how many would be left. That lake is kind of small to hold an abundance of lunkers. If you wanna target more than one species you could always go after walleye at sundown. If that's the case, just let the perma shanties tell you where the channel is ;).
I am Muskies Inc.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.