New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Delta Lake  (Read 87001 times)

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
Re: Delta Lake
« Reply #750 on: Feb 08, 2014, 05:20 PM »
Well Bigz and I got out there today... The morning started off slow with a beautiful sunrise...

We figured we would try and hunt down some crappies maybe see if the pike were biting but after about 2 hrs of searching we decided it wasn't panning out well.. So we moved out into some perch and waldo territory... 5 minutes after Bigz put his 1st tip up in we had a nice eye on the ice  around 18inches ,  through out the day the fishing remained fairly steady , few nice keeper perch and walleye... Now at this spot I figured I would run some Pike traps maybe see if one was lurking around , I managed to jig up a decent 24 inchers so things were getting optimistic....Well the day flew by and I didn't get a pike on a tip up... But BigZ did !!! On his walleye rig with a FATHEAD !!!! LOL

And his personal best to boot !!!! Right around 35". Grats Z glad I was there for it... The story that goes along with it I'll be telling my grand kids !!!
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #751 on: Feb 08, 2014, 05:24 PM »
Sweet picture...
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline tundra1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #752 on: Feb 08, 2014, 07:14 PM »
 ;D sounds like a great day..... :tipup: ill give a try tomorrow.
just not enough time    <*)((><     >*)(((((((((>< 

Offline missfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy fishy...
« Reply #753 on: Feb 08, 2014, 07:27 PM »
Congrats big z I lost a monster in that exact spot a few years ago

Offline PeterC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #754 on: Feb 08, 2014, 08:14 PM »
Hey all, Have wanted to try Delta for eyes or perch as a change from local lakes around Albany. How far a drag are the spots from the parking areas. Not a spring chicken so that could be a deciding factor, but enjoy new places I have never been. General spots to put tipups would be helpful. Only trade would be info for Saratoga and Tomhannock. 

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #755 on: Feb 08, 2014, 08:18 PM »
Well Bigz and I got out there today... The morning started off slow with a beautiful sunrise...

We figured we would try and hunt down some crappies maybe see if the pike were biting but after about 2 hrs of searching we decided it wasn't panning out well.. So we moved out into some perch and waldo territory... 5 minutes after Bigz put his 1st tip up in we had a nice eye on the ice  around 18inches ,  through out the day the fishing remained fairly steady , few nice keeper perch and walleye... Now at this spot I figured I would run some Pike traps maybe see if one was lurking around , I managed to jig up a decent 24 inchers so things were getting optimistic....Well the day flew by and I didn't get a pike on a tip up... But BigZ did !!! On his walleye rig with a FATHEAD !!!! LOL

And his personal best to boot !!!! Right around 35". Grats Z glad I was there for it... The story that goes along with it I'll be telling my grand kids !!!

Congrats on a nice pike, great pic too!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #756 on: Feb 08, 2014, 08:31 PM »
Ya dead while the fishing wasn't on fire we enjoyed each others company and a nice pike at the end
It's not that fishing is so important, it's just that so many things in life are so much less important

Offline icefishinman88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #757 on: Feb 09, 2014, 08:31 AM »
Nice pike congrats. Caught the smallest pike ive ever seen out there yesterday haha. Wasn't real sure what it was at first. Couldnt get on the big perch yesterday quite a few dinks. My wife did get her first walldo though. Nice 20incher

Offline missfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy fishy...
« Reply #758 on: Feb 09, 2014, 09:47 AM »

that second shot really looks photo shopped not the real background hhmmmmmm

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #759 on: Feb 09, 2014, 09:52 AM »
  that second shot really looks photo shopped not the real background hhmmmmmm
I took the picture its not shopped at all, no need to.. All I did to the pic was shade it and alter the grain to make the fish stand out more...

Was that y'all near us with the partially red suits ?

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #760 on: Feb 09, 2014, 09:57 AM »
Nice job deadsmelthead ......
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #761 on: Feb 09, 2014, 06:07 PM »
I took the picture its not shopped at all, no need to.. All I did to the pic was shade it and alter the grain to make the fish stand out more...

Were you guys in the grey shanty kind of behind and to the left of the blue Rover 2.0 shanty? We wear red/grey suits and thought that picture was probably the guys fishing by us. Did that fish come from the multi-drilled hole?

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #762 on: Feb 10, 2014, 07:10 AM »
Yah lol... Bigz uses a 6" thing was hooked so deep in the corner of the jaw whenever he tried to turn it, the front of its nose would hit the bottom of the ice .... You truly appreciate an 8" hole after dealing with something like that... Its not that the fish wouldn't fit, cause it would have, just impossible to turn it up the hole!!!!

You guys seemed like you had a decent day every time we turned around you guys had a flag....

Offline missfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy fishy...
« Reply #763 on: Feb 10, 2014, 07:12 AM »

that must be why he has an outline around him ...thought you changed the back ground to throw people off your trail

Offline hamrhandle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #764 on: Feb 10, 2014, 07:33 AM »
nice pics deadsmelthead. thats a nice fat fish.  i fished delta saturday also. only managed two pike. 

they were both very light in color and pretty long and skinny. is this common in delta?

OneidaAngler

« Reply #765 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:14 AM »
nice pics deadsmelthead. thats a nice fat fish.  i fished delta saturday also. only managed two pike. 

they were both very light in color and pretty long and skinny. is this common in delta?

Light colored fish are common in Delta when the water is cloudy. Every lake has it's skinny fish. Most of the pike I have pulled out of Delta were fat and healthy.

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #766 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:31 AM »
So i just got confirmation that a 38lb northern was taken yesterday!
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline hamrhandle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #767 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:58 AM »
Light colored fish are common in Delta when the water is cloudy. Every lake has it's skinny fish. Most of the pike I have pulled out of Delta were fat and healthy.

yea i noticed the water had a bit of cloudiness to it.  only my second trip there. i must have caught two skinnys of the same litter. haha. 

i think you meant 3  8lb northerns.  ;D 

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #768 on: Feb 10, 2014, 09:01 AM »
Yah lol... Bigz uses a 6" thing was hooked so deep in the corner of the jaw whenever he tried to turn it, the front of its nose would hit the bottom of the ice .... You truly appreciate an 8" hole after dealing with something like that... Its not that the fish wouldn't fit, cause it would have, just impossible to turn it up the hole!!!!

You guys seemed like you had a decent day every time we turned around you guys had a flag....
Yeah we did ok. Kept busy all day. Went almost the same spot yesterday.....not quite as good as Saturday.

Offline Zpotter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #769 on: Feb 10, 2014, 09:17 AM »

Would have to see a picture!

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #770 on: Feb 10, 2014, 09:53 AM »
I heard there was 3 big pike 40-45 inchers caught in the past week... They are evidently on the bite... 38lbs I'd have to think that may be a lake record... I definitely want to see a pic...

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #771 on: Feb 10, 2014, 10:08 AM »

Here it is! They guy who caught it is a friend of the husband of a lady my girlfriend works with. Hopefully I don't get in trouble for posting it. Personally, I would have liked to seem it released...
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline Zpotter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #772 on: Feb 10, 2014, 10:30 AM »
Wow!!! I couldn't imagine catching that! Congrats!

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #773 on: Feb 10, 2014, 10:35 AM »
Ya it would have been a blast to even watch! Also, my information is incorrect. This fish was taken during early season ice. Since the lady showed my girlfriend this morning I guess I assumed it was from this past weekend. But when I noticed grass showing in the picture I questioned her. Sorry for the confusion.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline hamrhandle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #774 on: Feb 10, 2014, 10:36 AM »
i got that same picture via text message on saturday morning. story was it was caught by a friend of a friend sometime earlier in the season.
beautiful fish regardless of when or where it was caught.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #775 on: Feb 10, 2014, 10:39 AM »
That's a nice fish but it definitely isn't 38lbs 28 I would believe..

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #776 on: Feb 10, 2014, 11:02 AM »
That's a nice fish but it definitely isn't 38lbs 28 I would believe..
I just posted what I was told. But I do have to agree with you after looking at the fish some more. Definitely not over 30lbs. I think there is a reason no measurements were given ;)
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline missfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy fishy...
« Reply #777 on: Feb 10, 2014, 12:25 PM »
Yep that looks like the one I lost  ;D

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #778 on: Feb 10, 2014, 12:26 PM »
I just posted what I was told. But I do have to agree with you after looking at the fish some more. Definitely not over 30lbs. I think there is a reason no measurements were given ;)

Lol , yeah I wasn't calling you out or anything... Just saying maybe someone need to get their scale fixed lol..

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #779 on: Feb 10, 2014, 01:03 PM »
Lol , yeah I wasn't calling you out or anything... Just saying maybe someone need to get their scale fixed lol..
Oh I know. Never interpreted it that way. But hey, as long as my scale is true, that's all that matters to me!
I am Muskies Inc.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.