New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Delta Lake  (Read 86996 times)

Offline missfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy fishy...
Re: Delta Lake
« Reply #570 on: Feb 03, 2013, 06:48 AM »
shoreline is thin in spots, beach is your best bet because it's shallow. whoever has there green shanty in front of the beach ...you might want to check on it it's laying on it's side in the water soon to be solid ice. the water coming out under the dam is brown so that tells ya the lake is a big full bowl of chocolate milk. level is high the ponds at the state park filled back up just to give you an idea of the depth.this was as of last night. She might have froze some overnight but you need to watch out for old washed out holes even when you get on.

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #571 on: Feb 03, 2013, 07:58 AM »
Let's not tell people it's good when it la not. I'm out on Deta right now and I can tell you the beach is a poor decision. If you come out here go up the shoreline from the beach, the ice is still a good 1-2 wacks with the spud.  When I got here at 6:30 there was a couple of guys coming off the ice because one fell in trying to get out.

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #572 on: Feb 03, 2013, 08:30 AM »
Sounds like it needs a couple weeks
It's not that fishing is so important, it's just that so many things in life are so much less important

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #573 on: Feb 03, 2013, 08:34 AM »
There is plenty of safe ice just the shore is sketchy for the first 10'.

Offline Travis9490

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #574 on: Feb 03, 2013, 11:45 AM »
There is plenty of safe ice just the shore is sketchy for the first 10'.

Your talking alot more then 10' your looking at about 40 to 50 yards off shore near and around beach
hard ice is the only way to go

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #575 on: Feb 03, 2013, 01:10 PM »
Your talking alot more then 10' your looking at about 40 to 50 yards off shore near and around beach
Not where I went to, to the right of the beach(facing the lake) through the woods. More like 50 yards if your itching for a cold swim straight out from the beach. I watched idk how many people just walk right out. You need to spud your way through that stuff to be safe. I seen a group that didn't have a spud, and guess what there was a guy soaked. How did that happen?

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #576 on: Feb 03, 2013, 01:54 PM »
I know where your talking ranger, the bedrock shoreline the other side of the tiny spring that trickles through..

Typically when the lake rises there are a a few spots to get on when the ice drifts and that usually is one.. usually the pumphouse is also... really depends on how the wind blows.. couple times i had to park at the dam and sneak around it!!!

Just keep in mind once i got on at the pumphouse at 6 am, was only a 3' gap come 5 pm it was about 15 feet, i had to go golf course rd and call for a ride... lotta walking.....
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #577 on: Feb 03, 2013, 02:45 PM »
I had a similar thing happen last year. I went out by the pump house  in March via planking. I didn't venture too far away from there because I could feel something up with the ice. Turns out the ice was adrift and it was taking me away from shore very slowly. When I got back to the plank had to use the submerged rocks to cross. I felt bad for the people that were out in the middle.

Offline missfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy fishy...
« Reply #578 on: Feb 04, 2013, 08:46 AM »
Let's not tell people it's good when it la not. I'm out on Deta right now and I can tell you the beach is a poor decision. If you come out here go up the shoreline from the beach, the ice is still a good 1-2 wacks with the spud.  When I got here at 6:30 there was a couple of guys coming off the ice because one fell in trying to get out.
I was there just before I posted the water is shallow at the beach it is deeper up the shoreline rather get a wet foot than a wet butt. just helping people get on the ice. after all your out there must be safe someplace.Never said the shore was locked up.

Offline missfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy fishy...
« Reply #579 on: Feb 04, 2013, 08:49 AM »
because its shallow, just were you wadders and your good  :) as long as you don't fall in a deep spot

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #580 on: Feb 05, 2013, 09:46 PM »
Hows it looking out there planning on an all dayer Saturday... 

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #581 on: Feb 06, 2013, 09:54 PM »
 what time are you going out?
It's not that fishing is so important, it's just that so many things in life are so much less important

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #582 on: Feb 06, 2013, 10:10 PM »
Ill give ya a call but sunday is starting to look better weather wise... i really dont feel like luggin my suitcase clam out ... lol

Offline sawmillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #583 on: Feb 07, 2013, 07:07 AM »
fished backset yesterday,wind chased us out by noon,no flags ice is good but be careful next to shore lake is about 4' higher than last week.

Offline missfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy fishy...
« Reply #584 on: Feb 07, 2013, 10:48 AM »
river is running brown must still be muddy  :-\

Offline predator slayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #585 on: Feb 07, 2013, 10:54 PM »
Fished tuesday out of beech couldn't break through woth a spud bar, walked out about 100yds, past bouys 3 northerns over 24" , 2 small ones in 15-20 ft of water no perch. 8.5" of solid clear black ice!! walked out today a little farther to the right (towards pump house ) 3 flags all day no fish, guys were running around on wheelers, tommorow taking the snowmobile  try and find some fish!
Only one year ice experience but love this sport!!

Offline HOOTER

• IceShanty Rookie
  • GOOD N U
« Reply #586 on: Feb 10, 2013, 01:36 PM »
;Dwheres the good yote hunting?
fish during the week,  hunt on weekends. :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
LIFES LONG SHE'LL ADJUST
hard water is not always hard
down there, been down, not fun

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #587 on: Feb 10, 2013, 02:40 PM »
Fished the backside from 6am til bout 1/2 hr ago..Water is still pretty cloudy, it was feezing out early,  and i went flagless until around 11 am when the sun came out... Did the Delta grand slam after that, 2 pike,pickerel, perch, walleye and crappie..
Waleye were dinks.... Perch and crappies are headed for my deep fryer in about a 1/2 hr... Biggest pike was 30 inches the other was just a baby barely 20

Offline rmlight300r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #588 on: Feb 11, 2013, 06:22 AM »
I'm planning on fishing delta this weekend...How deep are the perch and walleyes biting...Also is anyone getting walleyes on jigs??? How is the ice off the boat launch???

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #589 on: Feb 11, 2013, 06:37 AM »
I've fished delta 15+ times this year zero eyes and crappies for me

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #590 on: Feb 11, 2013, 10:15 AM »
I'm planning on fishing delta this weekend...How deep are the perch and walleyes biting...Also is anyone getting walleyes on jigs??? How is the ice off the boat launch???

Your guess is as good as mine i caught perch and walleye in 8 fow yesterday, and i was shocked walleyes are generally out in the 15 fow range, but the lake is still pretty dirty, couldnt see my hot orange pimple a foot and half below the hole , so i imagine the fish are pushing into areas that are less dirty and get more sunlight...

You cant access the lake from the boat launch.. Beach or backset are the places to get on... If you plan on fishing the boat launch i can tell you right now there's no walleye or perch there , gonna be pickerel with maybe an occasional pike...

Offline Karas3434

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #591 on: Feb 11, 2013, 03:18 PM »
8+ inches of good black ice on the main lake, with another 2" of slush/water ontop of the ice. That was yesterday and im sure the slush/water will be even worse today but there was plenty of good ice. Was out there friday and water was very dirty and was slightly better yesterday. No perch but 4 eyes so not too bad of a day yesterday. Hopefully things will clear up for the derby this weekend.

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #592 on: Feb 12, 2013, 02:47 PM »
Just put my shanty out the water was cloudy hopefully it clears up! Lots of water on ice close to shore and the snow isn't fun I'm glad I had the 4 wheeler.

Offline tundra1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #593 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:17 PM »
 ;D  Big Z good you got it out; will be comfy...looks like they slowed the water down coming out of lake the canal is lowering some but still mud at rome spillway and chestnut bridge. hope clearer for weekend.
just not enough time    <*)((><     >*)(((((((((>< 

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #594 on: Feb 13, 2013, 07:27 AM »
You going to fish Saturday tundra?

Offline tundra1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #595 on: Feb 13, 2013, 05:35 PM »
 :'( wish i could but havta work....good luck to you all.. someday maybe i will get normal days off...yea when i retire
just not enough time    <*)((><     >*)(((((((((>< 

Offline predator slayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #596 on: Feb 13, 2013, 09:26 PM »
Slow bite on the lake today few little perch. Hopefully their hitting on Saturday!!! Ice is still in great shape.
Only one year ice experience but love this sport!!

Offline huntnfishz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #597 on: Feb 13, 2013, 09:59 PM »
was out 1:30-dusk. slow. 1 sm perch, few lookers, nothin on tip ups. went out backset. sloppy for 200 yds, 3-5" of snow, slush and water on top. 8" of black ice. wheelers and snowmobiles all over. fished in my t-shirt most of the day. water still cloudy, could see about a foot down into it. 

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #598 on: Feb 15, 2013, 12:41 PM »
Well tomorrow is the big day on Little D, good luck everyone.... Ill be looking to grab 1st in all categories  ;D.....

Also heard there is gonna be bait available at the lake in front of the beach at 5am....certified and all...

Offline jhirsche

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • An Oneida man!
« Reply #599 on: Feb 15, 2013, 01:33 PM »
Who's sponsoring the derby?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.