Author Topic: GPS  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
GPS
« on: Sep 11, 2020, 10:13 AM »
Looking for a GPS to mark way points(holes that were hot)and would prefer not to use phone.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: GPS
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2020, 10:36 AM »
Garmin Etrex 22x...seems to be the newest low price point model with sufficient  features ..hike hunt fish

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/669244/pn/010-02256-00#overview

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/software/basecamp/

You can also make maps ..lets say you have a map ..from your DNR or DEC Get in on to your computer then you can overlay it on google earth then then save then download it to the GPS device . I printed out the instructions and then followed the step by step instructions when I did mine on my Etrex 20 ..base camp is nice as you can plan some trips on a larger screen. You can also add Micro SD cards with Topo and Marine maps..

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=cVuMqGHWaM7**censored**WMkPNLN9
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2020, 10:49 AM »
Thanks I dont know anything about the GPS, just looking for a way to mark hot holes for next time out. I couldnt find anything to download to phone.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2020, 10:56 AM »
Thanks I dont know anything about the GPS, just looking for a way to mark hot holes for next time out. I couldnt find anything to download to phone.

PM sent ..Navionics can do it i believe but if there isnt a lake map itll just be points on a blue lake map .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2020, 02:30 PM »
Papa,

Like what Hardwater suggested - Navonics is an app that you put on your phone and will show lake maps and contours.  If you go this route, you may have to decide if you want to pay $10 year for use and updated maps. Don't remember if the first year is free, then its $10 every new year.  You can also decide not to update and just use what you have. 

Looked at your location and it shows pretty good maps for lakes around your area.  You can place waypoints and mark them private or public.  You do this in the settings.  You can shade the different ranges of depths depending on what you normally fish in. 

Its a pretty good app and will also show you heading etc.  Its mainly used for boating, but around here alot of us icefishermen use it for marking holes and hotspots.

If you want - let me know a lake you fish and I can show you a picture of the lake and you can decide if you want to go this route.
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2020, 02:38 PM »
Papa,

Like what Hardwater suggested - Navonics is an app that you put on your phone and will show lake maps and contours.  If you go this route, you may have to decide if you want to pay $10 year for use and updated maps. Don't remember if the first year is free, then its $10 every new year.  You can also decide not to update and just use what you have. 

Looked at your location and it shows pretty good maps for lakes around your area.  You can place waypoints and mark them private or public.  You do this in the settings.  You can shade the different ranges of depths depending on what you normally fish in. 

I looked it up but it looked like 100 a year. Try crystal lake in ellington ct

Its a pretty good app and will also show you heading etc.  Its mainly used for boating, but around here alot of us icefishermen use it for marking holes and hotspots.

If you want - let me know a lake you fish and I can show you a picture of the lake and you can decide if you want to go this route.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2020, 02:40 PM »
Papa,

https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@6&key=%7B%7Dz%7CFnnveM

I know Navionics is a good option but never seen it in use ..they also changed and/or added features . Do you know if you can make a route and back track ? I tried looking online and YouTube and got my head spinning .

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2020, 03:16 PM »
There is a "route" selection on the main screen on the app.  I have not used it, but believe that this would be your track.  You can select either automatic route or manual.  Either the app tracks your exact route, or you input waypoints along the way. 

The other thing that I use it for is a heading.  When traveling from one end of the lake to head to another spot, it give you a line to follow for the heading. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 2020, 03:29 PM »
i looked at it but it looks like its 100 a year. I am really looking at using it for waypoints. Try Crystal lake in ellington ct

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Sep 11, 2020, 03:35 PM »
i looked at it but it looks like its 100 a year. I am really looking at using it for waypoints. Try Crystal lake in ellington ct

https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating/search@undefined&key=iq%7D~Fr%60vxL

Type in Crystal and zoom in ...i believe it will work

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Sep 11, 2020, 03:40 PM »

1’ increments , I have US and Canada $14.99

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Sep 11, 2020, 03:46 PM »

1’ increments , I have US and Canada $14.99

Price seems pretty good..how about other functions add way points...route ...backtrack . Also I believe you can use it "off Line" with prior down load of map yes ?

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Sep 11, 2020, 03:53 PM »

Papa - think this may the Crystal Lake you mentioned. 

I only pay $10/year and that gets me all maps in the US updated. 

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Sep 11, 2020, 03:57 PM »
Price seems pretty good..how about other functions add way points...route ...backtrack . Also I believe you can use it "off Line" with prior down load of map yes ?

You can use the route function and have it auto/manual track your route.  Think you can add waypoints along the way.  Yes, you can download a map to go off line.  I do that alot when I may get in an area without a decent cell coverage.  Your download map can be an entire state - not just a lake.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Sep 11, 2020, 07:03 PM »
 I only paid $10.00 for just US for another $4.99 I added Canada,

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 11, 2020, 07:42 PM »
There are free topo map apps that you can use with smartphone that has a GPS, which I think most do right now. No depth info but that is not needed just to mark waypts
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.