Author Topic: Anybody have reports...  (Read 4191 times)

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Anybody have reports...
« on: Jan 02, 2004, 11:43 PM »
Any fish being caught out there?  Big state, lots of fish, if the cold didn't get to everyone!
I took my son out and hooked a ton of rainbows and char on one of the pit ponds off the Richardson today.  Had a pike grab one fish fightin' just below the ice, good struggle, but with 4 lb. test you know the final results.  Fish-1 Me-0  
Going over to Harding this week, anyone fishing over there yet?  -Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

mihuntn

Re:Anybody have reports...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2004, 09:52 PM »
Been catching alot of rainbows and char on Polaris lake.  They been averaging 14-17 inches.  No pike yet, had couble flags but no results.

Offline broomballboy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2004, 06:41 PM »
Tried Outboard pit in FBX this weekend.  My 4 year old caught tons of small rainbows and 2 char.  The rainbows were very aggressive.  It was impossible not to catch them.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2004, 10:47 PM »
Mihuntn,  Still no Pike on Polaris?  I had a friend of mine fish it on the 29th and had about 16 flags but only landed two fish @ 4 lbs. a piece, said he tossed them back.  Claimed the trout were pretty pesky and kept the flags up most of the day.  BEWARE use big bait! :'( :'(
Broomballboy,  I hadn't played broomball in years!  Great game if your like me and can't skate.  How big were the Char?  10"?
TEAM ALASKA

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2004, 04:35 AM »
went to kenai lake twice, caught one little laker (13 inches).  the clarity is terrible due to the ice dam breaking on the glacier this summer.  I want to try trail lake this thursday... its quite a drive though and it depends on the wind.  Hey broomballboy, just for your info, rainbows in outboard usually run at least ten inches and they are tough to catch in big numbers.  what you are catching one right after another are King salmon.  fish and game puts over of them in there annully compared to 1000-2000 rainbows.  when you catch a rainbow you will see quite a difference.  try the shallow humps 4-10 feet about 100 yards off shore on the roadside,  about 1/3 the length of the lake down from the lions club....I caught 10-14 inch char their on right after another both times i went there this year.

Offline broomballboy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2004, 05:04 PM »
Went back to Outboard again.  Lots of small pike this time.  The little fish that I am catching are indeed silvers not rainbows, I misstyped last time.  A few more char 12-14", with one at 18".  The pike are in the 12" or less range.  Got all them on end away from the gravel operation on the road side right where the trees end.  My 4 year old thinks they are the best.

Now I'm looking for a place to catch a burbot with easy access.

Offline KP_Alaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • George Lake February '09
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2004, 07:03 PM »
Broomballboy
Easy access to the Tanana River off of Chena Pump Rd at the campground. Another good place is where Piledriver Slough flows into the Tanana near Moose Creek. I used to fish there and do well. Heading south from Fairbanks take the first right past the flood control bridge and follow it to the end. Also used to fish across from MJ Rentals at nine mile Richardson Hwy, haven't been in there in years.

Offline alaskanman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice fishing rules!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2004, 10:39 PM »
Lots of dollies and char around here, lots of people fishing too!  Couple pike caught.  Looking forward to getting out this weekend!

mihuntn

« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2004, 02:47 PM »
Barleydog, went out last weekend.  Had three flags, no pike, I think the herring I had were too big, the pike kept ripping the tails off.  The trout fishing was pretty good, Sunday we caught 10, between 14-17".  I had the tip ups set up right across the trout fishers in @ 6 feet deep and @ 1 foot off the bottom.  I'll keep you guys posted.  Good fishing to all.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2004, 12:05 AM »
Did some jigging on Polaris lake and managed 6 fish.  I think the lake is going through turnover?  Little murky and the fish seemed locked jawed as opposed to last week.  
mihuntn- Did you fish in the weeds?  Did you stay between the ancient beaver lodge and the point across from the gravel bar?   If your depth finder isn't coming up with weeds, your to deep.  If you can't catch them there.  Go over to Scout lake!  Fish around the island areas in 4-8 ft. of water.  You'll get more fish, just not as big as the ones on Polaris!  Sounds like the little hammer handle pike, (12" fish) were getting to you on Polaris?  We have caught a fair number of them by accident using firecracker herring. ;D
TEAM ALASKA

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2004, 11:24 AM »
I know most of you guys are up north, but I will chime in with a Mat-Su report.  Me and a buddy went to Long Lake in Willow hoping for some 'bows and pike.  We managed to each snag a sculpin.  They were each just over and inch long.  No flags, no nothin'.  But I did get to use the new shanty and had an enjoyable day on the lake.  Denali was in view and no one else fishing (I wonder why?).  Will try again some place else next weekend.  May have to load up the sleds and ride into Flathorn or Red Shirt.

Icy Mike

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.