Author Topic: What's in and around ANCHORAGE?  (Read 827 times)

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
What's in and around ANCHORAGE?
« on: Feb 27, 2007, 07:18 PM »
Being from Michigan and having the passion to take a month off and visit AK I wonder what species of fish are around Anchorage.  We hear of the salmon, halibut and other prize fish, but what else is on the species list?
Ive been told the climate in Anchorage is similar to Michigan, we have good pike and walleye, bluegill, etc...wondering if that was the same.  Also when would be the best time to take that 30 day escape? ???
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
Re: What's in and around ANCHORAGE?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2007, 12:22 AM »
here is your species list around anchorage... 5 types of salmon (no atlantic), rainbows, arctic char/doly varden, pike, burbot, whitefish, lake trout, halibut, ling cod, rockfish, salmon shark, cod, and numerous other saltwater fishes.

Offline Tinman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2007, 01:50 AM »
FJ pretty much covered the species list.

If the focus of your trip is to fish daily either salt or fresh (or both) I always suggest the month of June, seems to be about the best weather is south central Alaska then and you'll be able to hit numerous different salmon runs. The ocean fishing is in full swing then too. If you can't do June take July, same great runs of salmon, the ocean is even better but you'll start risking rainy days as August approaches.

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2007, 02:22 PM »
Great, thanks!!  I had a friend that lived just off the IDITAROD Trail.  He told me he could see racers passing in his back yard...he had a big back yard.  After seeing his pictures and hearing all his stories and adventures about AK I just have to go some time.  I told friends when I go, that they better pay up or collect any debts from me, because I may not return...lol
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.