Author Topic: I Cant Find EM'  (Read 3938 times)

TIPUPMILITIA

I Cant Find EM'
« on: Dec 17, 2003, 03:15 PM »
I KNOW IVE GOT PERCH ON MY LAKE BECAUSE WE HAVE CAUGHT THEM IN THE SUMMER ON WAXIES. THERE IS A DECENT PIKE POPULATION. IS THAT WHY I CANT SEEM TO FIND THEM? IF NOT, CAN I GET SOME LOCATION TIPS PLZ??????????? :-\ :-\ :-\ :'( :'( :'( :'(

THANKS AND BEST OF FISHIN'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grumpymoe

Re:I Cant Find EM'
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2003, 04:20 PM »
try some of your favourite summer spots. they will still relate to structure where its easier to escape predation. the northerns naturally feed on perch and will only temporarily spook them if one is on the prowl.look for weed beds around humps and shallow ledge dropoffs would be a good starting point lol :'( :'(

Offline firsticerules

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get out be happy!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2003, 05:08 PM »
i agree with grumpymoe look at the spots you fished in the summer. you may also be able to find them by asking other people unless they are all grumps or your the only one that fishes that spot. never hurts to ask but i should talk i'm too shy :-[.

FORGET MILK.......GOT ICE?

flaggggg

« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2003, 06:39 PM »
Another thing to try during 1st ice the warmest water on the lake will be along the N and NW shorelines,because of the wind coming from that direction before ice on.There's always alot of food available for both prey and predator alike.

Offline whitebassbenny

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ice fishing rules, let there be ice !!!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2003, 08:44 PM »
i love to go perch fishing but can't find them in the winter proble b/c i don't know the lake but what depth should i start looking 4 them at/what should i use 4 bait?

thanks lots Ben  

flaggggg

« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2003, 09:03 PM »
generally 1st ice 6 to 11ft l like to dead stick a minnie and double jig 1 green 1 red with waxies right next to the dead stick hole.l also use my fl-18 to help search huge benefit wouldn't leave home without it! :'(

flaggggg

« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2003, 05:46 PM »
just another jigging pole that l put a jig on attach a minnie an drop down the hole keeping a close eye on it while l jig my other rod. ;)    :'(

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2003, 04:59 PM »
Good advice flaggggg; leaving a minnow or a couple of tip-ups with minnows nearby, can really help to keep a school of perch in an area. There are some excellent articles on perch in the 2004 In-Fisherman Ice Fishing mag. I'm dying to get out, but meanwhile have to settle for reading about it and drooling over pictures of fat fish! On the bright side, my equipment is going to be finely tuned. (including FL-18)

flaggggg

« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2003, 05:38 PM »
l've been out banging the perch 5 times in the last week couldn't take it.As soon as 2in was there so was l ;D            :'(

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2003, 12:19 PM »
Been following your posts as I'm stuck in Del Co. PA. Glad someone's been getting out. Gonna have to settle for some post X-mas grouse chasing as of now. Good luck to all the perch seekers out there; be safe and happy holidays!

Offline crapyking

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I like crappies!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2004, 06:32 AM »
I fish 4' - 6' on top of weed beds. I see all these guys in the middle of the lk twiddleing there thumbs waiting for tip ups to hit while I kill them shallow all the time jigging. :P

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2004, 07:33 AM »
See this is my point... i have a friend who has his hut located in 40 feet of water right now...apparently he likes to try his luck at whitefish anyhow since iv'e been fishing with him now which is the last 3 years he hasnt caught one whitefish or laketrout...Anyhow he has his hut out in a depth which doesnt catch him consistantly perch..cause he is out to far i tell him...Anyhow i myself like to go shallow to catch Perch..his reply is well you will catch more dinks...Good point shallow water more lil Dinks...i understand...My understanding is Perch swim in School's have fun catching the lil dinks in shallow water less likely you have to keep the small ones (in deep water perch get the benz when you bring em up and you have to keep em if their gonna die) Anyhow point is Go more shallow catch more fish keep more of the fish you want to keep, and since he doesnt or hasn't caught whitefish or Laketrout in the last 3 years anyhow does it really matter>? Just my opionion maybe you could help is it just me being one sided?
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: I Cant Find EM'
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2004, 06:04 PM »
Maybe your friend just likes hangin in the shack with a cold one. Doesn't sound like the fish are bothering him. Don't agree about depth in relationship to size; maybe it is a lake specific thing. Where I fish, (PA) the perch were in the shallows most of the winter and they all seemed big; few were under 10''. That seemed to dry up, so I moved to deeper water 22-25', and actually caught more small fish along with some nice ones. Also as you stated, you better be prepared to clean what you catch in the deep stuff; I think their swim bladders implode, so you should take them. So catch them shallow if you can.  Meanwhile, we're having the other white meat for dinner.( it aint pork!)

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
Re: I Cant Find EM'
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2004, 06:37 AM »
Very good points indeed..i like fishing in shallow becasue it gives me the option to release if i like...Oh well..Tight lines and thanks for the reply!
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.