Author Topic: perch on tip ups  (Read 10188 times)

Offline whitebassbenny

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ice fishing rules, let there be ice !!!!
perch on tip ups
« on: Dec 11, 2003, 02:57 PM »
       Any info about perch on tip ups would be nice .

thanks Ben

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The greatest international fisherman.
Re:perch on tip ups
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2003, 03:29 PM »
Interested in why you want to utilize tip-ups for perch fishing? Jigging is a much more effective method. Of course you can fire some tip-ups in and occasionally get a perch or two, but jigging will produce greater results. Another pretty solid reason is if you get a doink on a tip up, it won't set your flag and you could be sitting there for an hour before you realize it.

More fun reeling them up from the hole on a rod anyways.
2023 - Doing a "food Sled" on Chautauqua with just my wild game food for purchase. Venison, Bear, Elk, Moose, and Boar. Weekends.
2022 - Featured in Jan In-Fisherman Magazine
2019- MVP of Flag Football over 65 league
1992 - 2022 Voted the best Ice Angler in Upstate
2020 - NY Times Best Seller for Propane Crockpot Book
2017 - Iceshanty.com Hall of Fame Inductee
2016 - Voted Best Grandpa in Upstate NY again.
2018 - Donated 1MM to Help Rebuild Afrikan Nation
2019 - Developed own line of jigging lures named after local businesses. Revenue of $289K first 3 months.
2022 - Micro-dehydrating propane cookbook debut on Amazon

Offline firsticerules

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get out be happy!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2003, 04:10 PM »
it all depends on wether you are in a school or not. if you are in a good sized school rig the tip up with a live minnow or whatever bait you are using at the time. it does depend on how picky the perch are though cause if they are not biting hard, your probably better to jig.
hope this helps!

FORGET MILK.......GOT ICE?

Offline whitebassbenny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2003, 04:55 PM »
thanks both of u

ben

Offline fishin fool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • give 'em a shake
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2003, 10:26 PM »
Aren't tip ups good locators for fish whether it be perch or anything else?
t'pup!

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2003, 08:29 AM »
I guess they could be, but it's a lot easier to bore a hole in the ice, and drop down a quick line on a rod to see if there's any action. A lot easier then monkeying around with a tip up. Personal preference I guess.
2023 - Doing a "food Sled" on Chautauqua with just my wild game food for purchase. Venison, Bear, Elk, Moose, and Boar. Weekends.
2019 - Developed own line of jigging lures named after local businesses. Revenue of $289K first 3 months.

grumpymoe

« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2003, 10:17 AM »
i personally would not use tipups-they are too time consuming when you can catch much more on a rod/jigging and on light bite days, perch tend to drop the hook on any hint of tension :'( :'(

Offline whitebassbenny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2003, 04:02 PM »
thanks.

ben

Offline Dr. BlueGill

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • November 18, 2008
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2003, 11:11 PM »
Gonna disagree here and put a little different spin on things.  Tip-ups are an excellent way to find/catch perch as long as they are aggressive.  Once they get finicky then switch to tip-downs.  I love jigging for perch but first and foremost, I love catching perch.  We used tip-downs out on Keuka Lake in New York last year and had a ball.  I used tip-ups as well and caught a few but not as many as on tip-downs.   Had a lot of hit and runs with the tip-ups.

One advantage to tip-ups or tip-downs is they are useful in finding fish if you do not have a fish finder.  I used this tactic religiously until I got a Vex.  Now I do the opposite - find them and then set out the tip downs  ;D
Rob Taylor

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2003, 06:45 AM »
I use tip-ups for perch all the time.  When the jig bite is slow, a full set of tip-ups rigged for perch will catch more fish every time!  This off course will bring on the wrath from the jigaholics.......  Well I got big sholders.

Ben
So anyway the set up.  My tip-ups are spooled with 12 to 18 lb dacron in dark colors (ie green or black)  At the end of the dacron I have a large snap swivle.  To this I attach my leader.  For perch I use 2 or 4 lb test usualy about 3+ ft.  For perch I use a single short shank hook around a #4 or 6.  The bait (I like emeralds from 2 to 3 inches) I hook at the dorsal fin hooking from back to front.  Of course you will need a little weight to get it down there and I also use the small bobber line markers for quick and easy resetting.
Good luck, and remember there is no right or wrong as long as you are having a good time.  Dogfish
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2003, 08:09 AM »
Dr.Bluegill, what do you use on your tip-down's?  I am building a couple to play with this year and was wondering if you just use a hook and minnow, a jig and grubs, or experiment.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline Dr. BlueGill

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • November 18, 2008
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2003, 09:34 AM »
Strictly fathead minnows.  If I am fishing for crappies I use a size 6 single hook and a small split shot.  If I am fishing for perch I like to use small double prong hooks (I think they are size 10) and a small split shot.  
Rob Taylor

Offline whitebassbenny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2003, 03:04 PM »
what is this tip down u talk about? and if u have a pic please sent me it

thanks  Ben

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2003, 05:33 PM »
I fish for jumbos almost exclusively with tip-ups and only switch to jigging when they're fussy. I outfish most any jigger as they don't have the touch man. Set tip-ups reasonably close to each other as you want the illusion of a baitfish school. Use any no-stretch dacron for gutlineto a swivel tipped with 4lb. vanish and size 14 trebles or smaller if you can find them ,22's are great. Try yaking nail polish and paint the shannk of your treble. Set tip-ups on the lightest setting possible. Jig tip-ups
every few minutes to keep bait lively also to check for any weight difference which indicates a strip as they will rise up. That's okay as you should be checking depth bobber every time you are at the hole and those fish are very catchable. Walleyes do the same thing. When that flag goes ,take it immediately! Good reason to stay closeand don't power
set,just grab top of bail pin and pull up smoothly into retrieve or you'll blow it! Most of the time as soon as you bang a fish get line down quickly and freeline jig them holding depth marker lightly between 2 fingers and you'd be surprised out how mant times this works,and it really pisses the jig crowd who was laughing at you 15 fish earlier. Check bait frequently,stay sharp and experiment. Somedays they want super small suckers,somedays smaller crappie minnows get the nod. When you have 12-14" fish at your feet and your sleeve is frozen up to armpit from jacking
tip-ups all day you'll know what true tip-uping is! I love the nonbelievers
and the folks that think they can catch more on a pole. Got to keep an open mind,thats why some people just catch more fish than most,there are no rules....find them and aggressively pursue them until you figure it out or establish patterns that just plain comes with time spent on the ice.
Been doing this for years now and it is one of my favorite tactics for jumbos. Keep mobile,change bait often and get ready to sprint to those flags!!!!YYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAA AYYYYYYHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHH
He's runnin he's runnin,git em!
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2003, 10:13 AM »
Follow the bubbles...

Offline whitebassbenny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2003, 08:10 PM »
so thats what tip downs are        thanks....ben

Offline emptyhanded

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • thump - fish onnnnnn
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2003, 09:01 AM »
It depends on what type of tip ups we are talking about -- The plastic flag type are not the answer to catching alot of perch or even knowing you have perch on your bait.. But tip down's (the wooden type) are awesome for fishing perch , they are super sensitive and rock with the slightest movement. Good on Lake Erie and Onieda
Does not play well with others

As uncle ted says - u have to kill it to grill it" its our right to bear arms and chase large women

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2003, 11:28 AM »
empty - you know about caroga lake. give them the details of the place and what to fish for.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
Re: perch on tip ups
« Reply #18 on: Feb 16, 2004, 01:48 PM »
JT:

Amen brother to us tip-up enthusiasts! My freezer full of perch fillets speaks to the effectiveness of this. I posted a long-winded message under " How do I catch Jumbos ? ". Check it out. As I said there, almost every perch you catch on a tip-up is 10" plus when you use 2-3" shiners.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #19 on: Feb 16, 2004, 06:46 PM »
Tip ups FOR me suck..i jig with 2 rods in hand hole by hole and my friend uses one tip up and one jigging rod he as well as others that have posted believe that he will catch them on the tip up ..His tip up will stay there not being touched while we bang them thru with the jigging ,methods. He now use's his tip ups for lakers up high...AS they suck for perch..Just my advice like i said but i wouldn't ever use them for perch. Tight lines all.
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

nuke1neil

« Reply #20 on: Feb 16, 2004, 07:46 PM »
Can you guys only use two devices?If so, no wonder you say tip-ups suck.We use five each and can cover huge sections of flats with 3 people or more.You can see the school going across the lake by watching the flags go up right down the line.That is an awesome sight if you've ever seen it.From what I've seen this year,tip-ups have accounted for 75-80 percent of the perch.And there is definitely no shortage of jiggers out there.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 17, 2004, 08:54 AM »
Well ya we can only use 2 rods while Ice fishing now if i was allowed more then 2 then ya id certainly use them. I hear some guys have 6 rods some have 5 etc etc..If i was allowed to use more then 2 then yes for sure i would set the others up as tip ups that would be smart..I only have 2 hands ..I dont know if they would actually be tip ups though Just fishing rods Placed on the ice and i would be able to see the hits when the tips moved but the same idea...If your able to use more then 2 rods then sure..Place a tip up a lil further away from ya but then also drill a hole next to your tip up rod so when they start hitting there then jig beside ir or near it as well to get that school on the frenzy as well. TIght lines all!
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

grumpymoe

« Reply #22 on: Feb 17, 2004, 09:00 AM »
personally i wouldn't use tipups for perch. having said that, we are allowed 2 lines in manitoba, but on most days, i use only one jigging rod. when you run into a school of perch, i can keep one line busy enough to keep up with anyone that fishes 2. you can't keep baiting hooks and catching any faster with more lines. my 2bits  grumpy

acsacmboy

« Reply #23 on: Feb 17, 2004, 01:46 PM »
we are allowed 5 tip ups per person and 2 hand lines. so we put out abut 6, 3 for me 3 for my father and have a dead stick rod and one jiggin. tip ups have 3 foot leader of 6 pound test, size 8 treb with a minnow on it. i like fat heads. put two small spilt shots 8 inches up and place the minnow 1 foot off the bottom. put a small bobber to mark the depth and your ready. check every 10 minutes.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 17, 2004, 03:29 PM »
Well as iv'e said we only are allowed 2 here..but if i could put tips up out i would only to get the bigger ones. i dont need to bait it as i use soft plastics for the tip ups..(tear drop jigs covered by a tube jig with a powerbait maggot on it.) Anyhow BIg perch will smack that on a stand still...But i agree with Moe that when they are hitting it is easier to keep one Rod going and keep fishing it then 2 rods cause well you only have 2 hands then its to difficult to keep the rods going constant Smoothly. Tight lines all.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 17, 2004, 09:33 PM »
Here in PA you can have five devices, and once again tonight the tip-ups saved the day. Was running 4 (2 windlass and 2 polar). Caught 2 nice ones 12, 12.5", and 2 crappie as well. Kept marking fish on the flasher but despite alternating 4 jigging rods, I only iced some small gills. I prefer to catch them on a jigging rod, but they just don't seem to school tightly very often in the lake where I fish the most. On the flip side, there are some large fish; so will keep trying to jig up some porkers.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 18, 2004, 06:45 AM »
Ya funny enough i get more Big un's on the tip ups rather then jigging...lol like lakers and whities that is! TIght lines!

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 20, 2004, 04:26 PM »
I definatelty like to use the tip downs for the perch.  I just built a set and they work great.  I also have a set of polar tipups that I have modified for use on perch and they are nearly as sensitive as the tipdowns. (my wife uses these when we fish for perch and last weekend she spanked me..I was using the tipdowns) I use them when it's really cold so I don't have to spend as much time skimming the holes.  I use a special low temperature grease on the inner rotating shaft instead of the standard grease.  I also had a machinist friend "turn" the rod on a lathe and make it just a bit smaller in diameter to reduce the friction even more. He left the original diameter on each end about 1/2 inch into the tube to keep play out of the shaft.  Then I use a light oil on the flag pole part where it contacts the trip mechinism.  These tip ups are so sensitive that sometimes the fathead minnows I use can actually trip the tipup.  Great for when it's cold and you don't want to keep the hole skimmed out for the tipdowns.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 21, 2004, 12:13 PM »
Ya sounds like a sweet set up for sure this way you dont have to get your hands as cold unless those fathead minnows trip the tip ....Oh well. But ya great..how many lines are you allowed to have though?

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 22, 2004, 09:37 AM »
Here in NY you can have 5 tipups or tip downs and 2 hand lines (rods basically).  I usually jig with one rod and deadstik the other.  The tip downs are great though.  You can really hammer the perch with them and cover alot of territory

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.