Author Topic: Swedish pimple question  (Read 2691 times)

Offline GrimesinMA

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Southern Born; Fishing on Ice??
Swedish pimple question
« on: Jan 26, 2005, 09:48 AM »
This might be a silly question, but I bought a few Swedish pimples for jigging.  They come with a split "o" spring ring and a couple of what look like small colored spoons.  How do I use these?  Also, I understand that some put a piece of cut bait on the hook while jigging.  Is this correct?

Thanks,
Monty

Offline Webguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lured into it, get reel!
Re: Swedish pimple question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2005, 10:34 AM »
The plastic blades add a little color and a piece of fish flesh adds scent.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2005, 01:07 PM »
The O Ring is just an extra, although you can put it one the head part of the lure to tie on to.
The yellow spoon is a flipper, it is just an alternative for the red one the should already be on the O Ring that holds the hook.
I personally use 1/2 of a minnow on the Swedish Pimple for lakers, just make sure it hangs down straight.
Swedish Pimples in various sizes are among the greatest ice fishing lures for any species in the world, you should do well with them.
Good Luck, and Tight Lines! :)
                                           Wes

Offline icebigboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2005, 01:20 PM »
i think its important to put those color plastic on the hook.i think it help catch more fish. :)
i put just the head of a smelt(or minnow if you can)on the hook.work great

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2005, 02:22 PM »
I usually don't put the plastic blades on, I just bait the hook with a pinhead or other small bait - killer for perch or smelt.  Tight Lines!!!
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline Fish Monger

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Maine
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2005, 03:43 PM »
I normally take off the Treble hook and switch to the single hook. I like touse some kind of bait on there as well. I don't have too many hits with the hook bare.... of course I don't have too many hits jigging at all  ;D

outdoors13

« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2005, 04:59 PM »
I normally take off the Treble hook and switch to the single hook.

I agree, that way, you get less weeds and you can unhook fish quickly when the action is hot, i also agree with putting a little bait on it to entice the fish in to biting. the yellow blade seems to work best with me, but i think that dosent matter to much

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2005, 05:26 PM »
Sh$!, I been doin it wrong all these years, no wonder Y I can't catch fish on them.
Actually, It is a great lure for jigging and I have found that just about any of the above tactics work on particular days. The entire key to this lure is figuring out which one, baited how, and which size and color combo seems to be working on the day you are fishing.
I said that to say this, Wish I had bought Stock in the freaking company when it was young because every ice man I know has a few if not more. 
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2005, 05:27 PM »
This might be a silly question, but I bought a few Swedish pimples for jigging.  They come with a split "o" spring ring and a couple of what look like small colored spoons.  How do I use these?  Also, I understand that some put a piece of cut bait on the hook while jigging.  Is this correct?

Thanks,
Monty

i like to bait the hook with the smallest minnow i can find

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2005, 08:46 PM »
I hear you Gamalot, I must have 30 or so in my box. All sizes, shapes
and color combinations.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2005, 08:52 PM »
Hey Seeweed, Me too except I never seem to have the exact one they are hitting this day. My wife thinks I am crazy and has me believing it :-[
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2005, 10:45 PM »
I have tried them with and without the blades and it seemed not to make any difference. I have even used wax worms on them or power baits if desperate and had good luck. :tipup:
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2005, 06:17 AM »

Thanks,
Monty

pimplin ain't easy

camo_fish

« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2005, 07:17 AM »

Thanks,
Monty

pimplin ain't easy
GrimesinMA-put the extra split ring on the top of the pimp and then put a barrel swivel on the ring. Tie to the barrel, that will allow it not to twist your line up. On the top ring sometimes put an extra treble on the top.  ;) And yes, put a piece or whole minnow on the bottom hook, won't hurt to put a little fish dope, too.  ;D
Good luck, tight lines.  :D

Offline southend517

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saginaw Bay MI
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2005, 07:24 AM »
I have been to the factory in the U.P. of Michigan
I have had the best luck with orange.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.