Author Topic: polar style tip-ups  (Read 3083 times)

timberdoodle

polar style tip-ups
« on: Jan 19, 2005, 05:54 PM »
I've been seeing quite a few of the polar style tip-ups. Does anyone have any thoughts on which ones are the best?

Offline majormaj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They just call me Major.
Re: polar style tip-ups
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2005, 08:45 PM »
I bought one with a detatchable flag.  Lost the flag before I even got the line wet.   I have 3 different kinds, different pros and cons I guess.  The Frabill one has lasted me 3 seasons and is still working good.

Offline Michiganmallard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2005, 10:14 PM »
They all have pro's & con's.  I also use the Frabill ones.  They are heavily insulated so it has to be bitter cold for the hole to freeze up.  They have a little tackle cubby for extra leaders, weights, & hooks which is a really nice feature.  Their flags leave a little to be desired, they're rather sticky extending up and going back down and only go up maybe 8-10 inches so in deep snow they stink.
The HT brand is decent, one of my buddies uses them.  Their great feature is a telescopic flag that goes up to 36".  They don't have extra insulation like the Frabills so your hole tends to freeze up quicker (most of the reason many people are going to insulated tip ups  ;)) but I've not see them have major show stopping problems.
Someone recently told me that HT sells replacement telescopic flags.  I would like to see if I can retrofit them onto my Frabills.  That would make it one heckuva tip up in my book.

Member: Michigan Trappers Association, National Trappers Association, Michigan Duck Hunters Association, Wetlands Foundation of West Michigan,  Michigan United Conservation Clubs,  National Rifle Association, & Delta Waterfowl
Preserve our right to Hunt, Fish, & Trap.  BECOME A MEMBER.

timberdoodle

« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2005, 05:08 AM »
I guess i should have been more specific. I have 6 of the round frabill/igloo rinehart polar tip-ups, but i have been thinking about getting some of the long flat style, maybe the frabill arctic fire tip-ups. Anyone have any of the these or similar tip-ups?

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2005, 07:46 AM »
I have a set of 8 polars (not the igloos) that I bought back in the mid to late 1980's.  I use them every year and they still work great.  I have taken them apart and re-greased the tubes twice in that time.  Besides longevity other pros are; light weight but tough, more compact than other tip ups (esp Heritage laker types) so you do not need as much room to carry a set and the notched and smooth trip bar is great for fishing different size baits.  Cons are; flag is only 1 ft high so not so good in deep snow (though you can get replacement flags that are telescoping out to 3 ft or so) and low profile (will tend to drift over with heavy blowing snow if left unattended).
Dogfish
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

timberdoodle

« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2005, 06:13 PM »
I just got two of the black polar tip-ups. I think they should work pretty good. I have 5 more of different types coming that i bought off of E-bay. I think I'll pick the best ones and get a full set. I have a full set of the igloos plus two sets of different regular tip-ups one large style for pike and a smaller set for bass and perch. I guess I'm just too fussy.......lol  Thanks for the info. if anyone else has any ideas I'd like to hear them.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2005, 07:21 PM »
The regular (non-iglooie) HT Polar Tipups are awesome in my opinion, they are so durable and affordable. The flag trips spin nice and easy, and if you set them correctly you never get wind flags, they are great! JMHO ;D

Offline grr8d8b8

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2005, 08:17 PM »
I have 21 Heritage Lakers, 6 polar tip ups, and 5 Polar II 's, (they have a bigger spool and a wooden base) I like fishing with the polar II's, but it takes three hands to reel up the line, the plastic polar tip ups are light and very good when hoofing it into anew spot, but you can't beat the Heritage Lakers, as far as using big bait on them, i fish with 8 to 12 inch suckers on them, I cut the tail off of them, leaving a bit of a blood scent, and they have no forward momentum and won't tip the flag. (shhhh don't tell anyone)<---we'll call that one a Shanty secret, like the finger ring thing,lol

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2005, 03:00 PM »
I have a few polars and like them. Is there any way to loosen the tension on the spool so it spins a little easier. I usually fish for trout and they are picky about stuff like that.

Thanks
Many are cold, but few are frozen

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2005, 01:13 PM »
I bought five of the Polar-therm Extreme ones. Look like orange frisbys and five stack in a 5 Gal. bucket.
I do like them alot but they do have some Cons to go along with the Pros.
If you have a 10.25 inch auger like my Strike master Mag 2000 then you will find the fit is mighty close. On real windy days the discs can get covered over quick and even ice up in the holes. Never had one fail to work and never have a wind up as long as you face the flag/triger into the wind.
I also electrified mine with a blinking light and a 9 V. battery because I like to night fish. I love the flag extention and they are very visible when up. Broke one of the antena posts and the company replaced it for free and very quick.
I use my Heritage lakers in deep snow and on real windy days. Also when I fish lakes with alot of Yahoos on ATVs and snow mobiles I worry the Polars will get run down.
The tackle box makes a perfect spot for the electronics I attached so I guess I have to give then the Thumbs UP!!!
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline icecold

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Strictly catch and eat
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2005, 10:41 AM »
I have just used the frabill insullated tipups in 0 degree weather with the wind blowing over 20 miles per hr and snowing like hell.  They get my vote for visability as I could easily see them prior to the first foot of snow falling.  I'm sure I could have cleaned around them during the five hours I was there.  I caught one fish early on and the operation was smooth.  When I picked up my gear there was no frozen over holes. Pretty awesome considering the conditions.
They have my vote. I plan to get more for those really bad days. :tipup:
tip up tip down but for sure tip a few

Offline outdoorwally

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2005, 08:35 PM »
I use the polar type and love them.A good tip is to use reflective red and white tape made for motor vehicles and a red LED headlamp at night,works awesome,even from a distance.

Offline Gator-Bait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Hear they Taste like Chicken
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2005, 07:26 AM »
The one that has the flag just released on is the one i like best !!!  ;D  ;D
Pull my Finger not my Leg

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2005, 02:07 PM »
I have 6 polars and have used them for 7 yrs now i do like them cause i got used to them and am pretty fast at picking them up at the end of the day when the sun goes down and gets colder. I picked up 2 Frabill artic fire this year they are 2 inches longer than the polars. the polars you are able to fit your hook on the end of the tip up. Frabill you are not. And on the Frabill when you go to put your line in the loop by the spool it seems seems to tight and frays your line. I don't know if everybody takes it out of the loop after they are done or not but i do. When it comes to tip ups you don't need expensive ones but i would get ones that you can regrease cause i think your not able to on some. Get the ones that you feel comfotable using they basicly all work the same way

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2005, 06:09 AM »
I use em all and like the polar tipups the best. I use the HT ones.

Flags falling off? Bring some colored duct tape with you for easy flag replacement.

One negative to the HT round style polar therm tipup is that telescoping flag arm that when fully extended does not hold up well and at best you can see it moving around on a windy day. Howerver, maybe I just got a bad batch of these with cheap springs? Also tough to see down the hole with these when trying to be (shhh..) quiet.

Someone asked about the Frabill Artic Ice? here were my thoughts on that (bought some of those too):
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=16092.0

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.