Author Topic: JEEBAS It's Freakin' Cold Out!!!!  (Read 3779 times)

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
JEEBAS It's Freakin' Cold Out!!!!
« on: Nov 20, 2010, 07:20 PM »
So I got together with a buddy and hit a new to me lake today.  
We hopped into the car with the outside temp hovering at -28 degrees.  :woot:
We left the main road and traveled 5 KMs down a side road where we turned onto a 4X4 trail and drove for another 4.5 KMs through some pretty challenging obstacles before parking and heading down a quad/snowmachine trail on foot for the final kilometer of the journey. I wish I had photos of the one sketchy spot I had to negotiate. My buddy said I had about an inch of clearance between the front bumper and ground and my passenger back wheel was in the air while decending and I heard my trailer hitches draw bar hit the ground when I pulled up and out of the ravine.   ;D

This is what greeted us at the end of the trail.

I think we landed about 10 or 12 decent lakers between 2 and 4 pounds or so (nothing big but we lost another 15 or more) and my buddy had one pike in the 10# plus range on for a second. Seems I took a lot more pictures of my buddy than I got of me.   :unsure:
The hot lures were airplane jigs and white tube jigs tipped with shiner minnows.

We kept 3 for the table and put the rest back.

It was an excellent day and we were comfortable in my 2 man cube with my 14,000 btu sunflower style Mr. Heater cranking.
I don't think we would have lasted an hour without it. The wind started to blow about 20 kmh around 1:00 and the wind chill would have been in the -40 range. We got back to the truck after the sun had set and air temp was -29C. We were fishing in 18 to 20 feet and had 4-5 inches of ice under us.

As I'm sitting here in my living room watching the Leafs game on the big screen I'm still not thawed out and I'v been home for an hour and a half!!!!  

I can't wait until next weeks adventure!!!   ;)2

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
Re: JEEBAS It's Freakin' Cold Out!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2010, 07:23 PM »
Thanks for the fix!!! We're still a couple of weeks away here.

Good times!

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2010, 08:36 PM »
way to go guys.  i cant wait untill we get ice, it probably wont be for another couple of weeks.  man i am ready!!

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2010, 10:18 PM »

YOU ARE HARDCORE MAN!!!!!!!!  I LOVE IT........GREAT ADVENTURE DRIFTER!!!!!!!!
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2010, 10:52 PM »
Dat sure is a golden laker you are holding Dave. Nice colors and good on ya for getting out. Was that the tent we used for a toilet up Great Slave? If so did the smell go out from the fabric? ;D

Nice to see you got a fising buddy that is keen to get out. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2010, 11:25 PM »
Dat sure is a golden laker you are holding Dave. Nice colors and good on ya for getting out. Was that the tent we used for a toilet up Great Slave? If so did the smell go out from the fabric? ;D

Nice to see you got a fising buddy that is keen to get out. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icefish:

Yep, it's the washroom.   ;D
He was thinking of bailing because of the cold but he thought it was awesome sitting in the tent with the 14,000 btu heater going and watching fish show up on the LX-5.   ;D

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2010, 06:16 AM »
Nice Report......it'll be 4 weeks or more for ice in Northern NJ.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2010, 10:51 AM »
Yep, it's the washroom.   ;D
He was thinking of bailing because of the cold but he thought it was awesome sitting in the tent with the 14,000 btu heater going and watching fish show up on the LX-5.   ;D

Just like a kid heh ;D Brings out the kid in all of us.

Offline Icer for life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2010, 11:43 AM »
Everyday (for the last two weeks), I nibble at my lunch while searching for great updates like this.......thanks!!

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2010, 12:10 PM »
Everyday (for the last two weeks), I nibble at my lunch while searching for great updates like this.......thanks!!

Bon Appetit!!!!     ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.