Author Topic: BushBunny I got a ??  (Read 6744 times)

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
BushBunny I got a ??
« on: Nov 04, 2003, 04:03 PM »
Hey BushBunny,

The boys and I are thinking of heading up to Lac La Biche for a long weekend in Febuary 04. I think you are from there right? Probably for about four days over the Family Day long weekend. Got some good lakes we could go too? We want a lake we can keep a Walleye, has some good action, and we can camp at. Any ideas?

thanks in advance............

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
Re:BushBunny I got a ??
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2003, 06:21 PM »
Blackett, Jackson, & Kinnaird in the Lakeland Park are all good for walleye, perch, & pike.  Should be a good time of the winter.  You are only allowed to take one walleye out of these lakes, so a lot of guys just set up outfitter tents on shore, especially between Jackson & Kinnaird and live there for the weekend.  The lakes are accessible by pickup truck in winter from the southend, across Helena Lake and through the bush for about 2/3 miles.   Spencer & Siebert are also good, especially Spencer for walleye, but it has a slot size.  Last winter the guys caught good, had their stove & cooking tools, buried the evidence and went home with their limit!!  If you want to hit Winefred, it is pretty much hit & miss for walleye, but pike is usually decent.  White cliff, sunken reef on the west side, Julian's point, Banana Island are all pretty good bets, but you are best off to contact Paul at the lodge.  If you have never been to Winefred Lake Lodge, check it out on the internet.  Quite a place, with superior hospitality.  Beaver Lake, just out of town is also fairly good, again hit & miss, but convenient for me, as I can go out pretty much as I please.   Goodfish Lake, along Hwy 36 has given up some pretty decent walleyes this year, at least so I am told.  I have no experience fishing that lake whatsoever.  I will let you know what the ongoing successes out of these lakes are once the ice season gets on.

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2003, 10:50 PM »
Don't forget Lac la Biche itself...Fished it a couple times last year at Sir Winston Churchill P.P.  Perch bite was about as hot as it could get.  I've fished Beaver several times.  I must have hit it on the off days because all I've ever even seen there is hammerhandle pike.  I hear it's an awesome perch fishery though...
This year I plan to hit Seibert and Pinehurst.  Want to try Whitefish as well.  Those Lakeland P.P. lakes look like a good bet, however I notice I don't have depth charts for those ones.  Oh well, exploring is always an adventure.  I see Helena has a fish consumption advisory in affect.  Hopefully the other lakes are not affected...

I'm about 75 km's North east of Edmonton so most of my hard water endeavers are concentrated up in that area.  As well as Smokey lake area.  I always drive Northeast.  Try to get out of that radius of a comfortable day trip from Edmonton.  Avoid the crowds that way...

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2003, 07:17 AM »
I forgot about LLB.  I fish it a lot in winter for perch & pike.  We have caught perch in excess of 14".

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2003, 10:30 AM »
Thanks for the info Bushbunny. So which lake do you think 10 guys that want to ice fish for a few days should go to? We wanna drink, party, and catch a lot of Walleye's to eat. ;) ;) ;)

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2003, 09:25 PM »
Camp at Pinehurst in the south campground, to keep out of any west, northwest, or north winds.  The road is always good & wood is easy to get, as there is a pile where the fish cops had their shack on the way to the south campground.  From there, if Pinehurst isn't biting, Jackson, Kinnaird, Blackett, McGuffin, Ironwood, Frenchman, Siebert, & Elinor are all within 20 km.(Siebert by going across Pinehurst to Snug Cove to the Siebert access).  

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2003, 12:15 PM »
That's some great info. Just a few more months to go.

Offline sco22

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2003, 01:07 PM »
Hi Vancouvercanuck:

I was on this site last winter and got some good advice from Bushbunny (hey Bushbunny, how's it going?).  

We have fished up throughout this region over the past many years and have stuck with Spencer lake mostly.  Last winter, myself and 6 of my buddies went up for the last weekend in March and we camped in a wall tent in the campground at Touchwood.  The fishing on the Saturday was unbelievable with the Wally's fighting each other to get the hooks.  It was the best I have seen in several years.  We were up doing our post fishing activities until around 4 am and finally passed out.  When we woke up, it had snowed about 8 inches and basically snowed us in.  You could not even see the lake from the campgroung.  It was a great time though.

I have tried Jackson Kinnaird and Blackett as well and usually you can get action on one or all of them.  

If you have sleds or quads, there is so much terrain.  You will have a great time nonetheless.

Cheers

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2003, 01:37 PM »
Thanks for the kind comment!!  I never thought of Spencer.  Touchwood has an excellent campground, well protected from the elements, especially in the heavy spruce along the shoreline.  Like you mentioned, sco22, walleye fishing in Spencer can be downright busy!!!!  ATVs(depending on the snow cover) and sleds are a great addition to the trip, as there are many cut lines, old trails, logging roads, and territory to explore after teh fish have worn you out!!!  ;) ;D

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2003, 10:57 AM »
As of right now, none of us have a quad. We will be walking or driving on if the ice is thick enough. We will look into all those lakes you both mentioned. Thanks again, and I'm sure this subject will come up again with JAM JAM, and ALPINE"HIGH".

Jam_Jam

« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2003, 01:40 PM »
I'm just wonder why we have to wait til February...oh yeah, SOMEBODY has to go the Australia woop dee doo:)  

Bushbunny, if we were coming from Calgary how long would you estimate it'd take to get up there?  Is the quickest way to head to Edmonton then head east or is there a better more direct route?  I'm considering an early trip up that way but it depends in large part on drive time.  Also, what would a hotel cost in LLB?  Do the oilfield workers drive up the prices at this time of year.  Any info would be much appreciated I may even be able to get the girlfriend up there if I find a nice place to stay:) anything to get more fishing in ;) Last but not least...how long do you figure before your driving on the ice up there?  

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2003, 01:26 PM »
Depending on highway conditions, you can make it from Calgary to Lac La Biche in about 5 hours, less if you drive like the vehicle is stolen!!!  I made it from here to Coutts in 6 hrs last August down Hwy. 36.  Come up #2, go east at Nisku to #21, north through Ft. Sask. following the highway east almost to Lamont.  Take a left, Hwy # unknown for about 3 miles, then north to Hwy 28 at Waskatenau.  Hwy 28 east to Hwy 36, north to LLB.  Check with the Parkland motels, I or II for rooms.  Winter does not drive prices.  They have jacuzzi rooms if you are bringing your gf with you.  I think that the rates are in the $65/80.00 range.  Food facilities are not a problem.  You won't worry about being served feline or canine meat!!! ;D ;D  The lakes are not a long drive from town.

Offline sco22

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2003, 10:27 AM »
Vancouvercanuck:

You don't need to have a quad or sleds to get on to the good lakes.  The only advantage is if fish are not biting at one lake, you can rip over to another one without packing everything up, except the beer of course.  

Lac La Biche has some comfortable motels.  We have stayed in the Parkland motels for the last few years while fishing Touchwood, Spencer and Seibert.  They are fine and they have kitchenettes in them.  The restaurants are safe and hey you can always go to Jiggers for some dance and romance.  

Bushbunny, there are people driving on the lakes down around Edmonton, but the ice only looks about 8 inches right now.  I will only quad for now.  Is there anyone driving on the ice up there?  I might slip up next weekend and try the big lake for perch as I am too lazy to go all the way to Spencer for one day.

Cheers!

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2003, 05:29 PM »
Thanks for that info. I'll be looking up those motels, hopeufully they have a website. I'm pretty sure Lac La Biche does, I had a travel magazine from the tourist board. Looks like we will be up there Feb. maybe we'll see you all there too. Maybe a little iceshanty.com ice fish in'?

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 26, 2003, 06:41 PM »
There is a bed & breakfast, Lakeside Bed & Breakfast, with 4 cabins separate from the house, at the back of the property, next to the town trout pond.  They are new, and on the east edge of town.  Check with them on prices.  You and your gf might like the situation better than a motel or hotel.

sweet446

Re: BushBunny I got a ??
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2004, 05:22 PM »
wow that palce sounds really nice

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2004, 08:25 PM »
Let me know for sure if you are coming up for the weekend.  Some of the lakes have heavy snow on them(I got stuck) with some overflow.  If you are travelling in a group, it makes life a lot easier, with tow straps(if needed)and company to shovel(if needed).  I have been catching well on Kinnaird these past two weekends(14" perch), and incindental walleye.  Let me know if you are coming up, and we can probably meet.

sweet446

« Reply #17 on: Feb 12, 2004, 12:25 PM »
How much is it to go there. :'(

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2004, 08:36 PM »
The only cost is your time!!!  We have been quite balmy today, and the snow settled a whole lot.  I drove all over Lac La Biche lake today with my pickup.(Caught quite well besides)  Let me know when you want to go into Kinnaird or Blackett this weekend, and I will meet you at the corner.

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 12, 2004, 09:08 PM »
Rick, you been into Spencer since the snow?

Trevor

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 13, 2004, 06:47 AM »
No, I haven't, but I would expect with the temps that we had yesterday, that the snow sank quite a bit.  The problem now may be overflow.  Crossing LLB yesterday on the winter road, water was collecting along the snow roach, and where someone broke through the bank, you could see water in the tracks.  I ran into overflow problems on Helena, Blackett, & Kinnaird last weekend.  I didn't get stuck in it, just lucky, I guess.

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 13, 2004, 08:46 PM »
Right on, thanks for the update..

Trevor

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.