Author Topic: Suggestions?  (Read 1021 times)

Offline xXICEFISHXx

• IceShanty Rookie
Suggestions?
« on: Jan 28, 2012, 12:54 AM »
I am heading out ice fishing tomorrow. That's about all I know at the moment, I am looking for a place I can catch a decent number of perch because I havent iced one all year. Any ideas? Im in sylvan and don't want to use a whole bunch of gas, a bit further than Caroline is about my limit. I was thinking burnstick but I was skunked last time, how deep should I be fishing for perch in burnstick because I was in shallow(5-8 ft) last time. Maybe that's why I never caught any. Perch and trout together would be awesome, how is Tay lake for perch and trout?

Offline Sloughsharkjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "keeping it real"
Re: Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2012, 02:14 AM »
Personally I have not fished Burnstick but know a few who have. There are a ton of Perch in that lake. I'm sure there are even the odd decent one. According to my sources it is hit & miss for whatever reason. The thing going for that lake is that it is not very big so it is easier to cover. Both ends of the lake are really shallow. From what I have heard you may find them in as much as 20 FOW maybe even a little deeper. Oxygen levels are probably still good at the deeper depths. About 100 to 150 meters SSE of the boat launch in the summer village holds some deeper water. Good luck.

Offline BlueNorther

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2012, 07:37 AM »
I've had my best luck fishing 21 feet or deeper at Burntstick. Never been skunked but have had some slow days, funny thing is on the slow days is when I catch the bigger perch, biggest being 14 inches. Once you find the depth pound the bottom with a jig and stir up the silt, this will attract the fish, then all you have to do is find what they want. I find maggots work the best but have had luck using minnows, worms and meal worms. Best set up for me has been a small Swedish Pimple with a dropper hook baited with maggots.

It's been a few years since I've ice fished Tay lake but for the most part I only caught tiny perch and 12 inch trout.

Check out Phyllis lake too, it's in the area and has perch and trout, again on the small side but fun when you need a fix.

Offline xXICEFISHXx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2012, 12:51 AM »
Thanks for the tips. I got out today instead of yesterday so me and my friend could fish the whole day instead of half of one. We did pretty good landing several 6-8 inch perch. Ended up with a nice little fish fry when we got home.

Offline imgonnamissher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2012, 08:46 AM »
Looks like you had a good day. Where did you end up going? :tipup: :icefish:
When Hell Freezes over........I'll Ice Fish there too!    <><   <*}}}><     <><   <>< <><

Offline xXICEFISHXx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2012, 11:38 PM »
Looks like you had a good day. Where did you end up going? :tipup: :icefish:
On the North side of burnstick

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.