Author Topic: jigging for walleyes  (Read 5841 times)

crappie_hunter

jigging for walleyes
« on: Dec 20, 2002, 05:43 AM »
i am new to jigging for walleyes any info would be great thanks

Dan Ament

Re: jigging for walleyes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2002, 11:44 AM »
First you need some type of finder my personal choice would be a vexilar. Find a good dropoff on your lake you want to fish and drill holes all the way down the dropoff.Then use your finder and check to see what kind of bottom there is. Walleye normally hang around hard bottom in the winter so thats another thing you must look for. For tackle i like to use a sweedish pimple with a large shiner head. Jig the lure about 6 inches above the fish and wait for a strike.
               Good luck on your next trip.
                                            Dan

Offline bido

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • rip some lips!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2002, 03:40 PM »
i agree dan  "amen" vexilar is the way to go  :o but dan dont need to drill a hole for the vex get the ducer wet slap it on the ice it will read through  ;D never have probs with the fl8  

MNwalleyeGUY

« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2002, 07:03 PM »
Hi

Well if you do not want to spend the money there are other alternatives.  Get a Lake
Map and find those dropoffs and fish.  I do like the Swedish Pimple idea but if you do not
want to spend the money it does not mean you can't catch walleyes.  ASk around too
Ask the regulars on the lake and they will probably be glad to help you.

GOOD LUCK :)

Offline mnfishman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2002, 10:42 AM »
I prefer lures that glo and have a single hook like a jig.  I have had luck with jigging rapulas but they can get quite pricey.  I bought a Salmo Chubby Darter once only to lose it to a pike I believe.  That was $7 down the hole.  Anything that glows works well in the 1/8 oz range.

Offline billybass

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2003, 04:55 PM »
any body been fishing onieda for eyes would love to team up w/somoneits been a long time :'(

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2003, 10:00 AM »
Hey I just wanted to say that I caught my first Walleye through the ice today jiggin. I caught it on a moon glow ice jig size 8. I was actually perch fishing and it came across my sonar and i got it!

wick

« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2003, 03:56 PM »
good job on that walleye, ive never cought one icefishing but hopefully i will this weekend.

sweet446

« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2004, 04:22 PM »
try a airplane jig

acsacmboy

« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2004, 03:40 PM »
i normally use a jiggin rap size 5 and swedish pimple size 4-5 tipped w/  a  minnow

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.