Author Topic: New to walley fishing  (Read 1776 times)

Offline Custer

• IceShanty Rookie
New to walley fishing
« on: Dec 23, 2004, 06:41 PM »
  I am using an artic tip-up and was curious what the best setup for walley is?  Right now I have 40lb braided line with a 10lb fluorocarbon leader thats about 2 feet long.  I mostly fish pike and put the sinkers 4 to 5 inches above the bait.  I heard walley can be picky so how high are you suppose to put the sinkers from your bait and should the sinkers be attached to the fluorocarbon leader.  I've caught a few walley on normal steel leaders so I don't think it would make to much of a difference but maybe you guys no more than me.  Any info would be helpful.  Thanks.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Re: New to walley fishing
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2004, 07:44 PM »
I think I would use 10 pound fluorocarbon as a leader, about a 4 foot leader. I use 25 pound HT vinyl coated tip up line. Use a small sinker near the swivel, and use about a 3 - 5" live minnow.
Jigging probably outproduces tip ups for walleyes though, although some may disagree with me, and in some situations they are right. Using a medium, 30" graphite rod, and a smaller spinning reel spooled with 6 pound fluorocarbon or mono, and a #5 jigging rapala or glow in the dark nils master jigger of the same size, and fishing mostly the morning and evening twilight periods near any rip rap, points, drop offs, or humps you can find, this should catch you plenty of 'eyes.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Spicoli

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2004, 11:24 PM »
Use a Buck-shot rattle spoon and jig with that all day, They seem to bite better with the glow spoons then the others, but that might just be the lakes that i fish, but i think that those are amazing lures for eyes.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2004, 04:50 PM »
Spoons are also good lures. The buckshot spoons, kastmasters, custom jigs and spins stingers, swedish pimples, and do jiggers work great. Swimbaits seem to have always worked better icing walleyes for me.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.