Author Topic: where to locate walleye  (Read 2374 times)

Offline upsavr

• Team IceShanty Regular
where to locate walleye
« on: Feb 20, 2004, 08:30 PM »
gonna try a lake that i know has walleye
where should i look to try and find them?
what kind of structure depth should i look for
sand weed rocks gravel drop off  river channel??
thanks

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: where to locate walleye
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2004, 12:53 PM »
We usually find them in the deepest part of the lake during the day in the lake we fish here locally. The ice on the lake that we catch them is cloudy and has about 10'' of snowcover on it. We just drill some check holes starting at 30' of water and shoot the vex into the hole to see if there are any fish, then work back toward the shoreline back and forth checking for pockets of fish and sharp dropoffs. If we find fish, we stop and fish for an hour or so. If we have no luck, we look for more fish. I don't know if this is what everyone else does, but it works for us. We cover a lot of ice and see lots of fish this way just like using a boat. Our best bite time to date was from 350 or so to 500 or so, but we have caught them during the day and into the night. Good Luck

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2004, 11:50 AM »
Hey Upsavr:
So how did you do on the new lake?
Find any structure, early morning, afternoon or evening bite?

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2004, 05:58 PM »
The best areas are rip rap areas with a lot of rocks, like dams, bridge pilings, and rocky bluffs. But shallower gravel flats can also be good. I like 10 - 25 foot depths best, no matter the time of day or year. Though I would try closer to 10 - 20 during prime evening bites.
Catching walleyes during the day seems to just be about moving. Spend about 5 minutes per hole, and if you don't see any fish on the flasher or get any hits, move again. Daytime walleyes don't move much. They know they have a vision advantage over their prey, so they know they can wait till evening to get a good meal.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.