Author Topic: shallow water tungsten  (Read 2714 times)

Offline wolffpack08

• Team IceShanty Regular
shallow water tungsten
« on: Sep 17, 2014, 08:55 AM »
I'm trying to get into the small jigs instead of spoons and not sure if I should spend the extra for tungsten.   I fish for perch and crappies mainly.  90% of the time I'm fishing in less then 15' of water.  Would tungsten make much of a difference for me?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: shallow water tungsten
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2014, 09:07 AM »
It is heavier than lead ...but the hooks being soldered on makes them delicate and where the cost factor comes into play...where it shines it going through weeds and when your shallow fishing and leave the hole filled  with some ice chips ... for light penetration elevation ..goes through better than lead ...
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2014, 09:44 AM »
Considering the wandering natures of these species, being able to get back down in a hurry is helpful for a couple more fish at times and when staying with a small presentation is needed. Consider the use of Tungsten asessential, for any Pannie, in over 7'- 8' fow especially if you're a line watcher and using light lines. Solder jigs are fine in shallower water, mainly when a slower drop is needed during a finicky bite

Offline wolffpack08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2014, 10:33 AM »
Thanks guys.   I think I'll probably same my money for now maybe try one or two.   I have read a bit on them being delicate.  I'll just get some cheapie jigs and see if I like them.   I almost always use spoons and 98% of the time I'm jigging.  The local perch are almost always aggressive but the local crappies were pretty tight lipped last winter.  I figured I give some micro jigs and plastics a try.

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2014, 01:51 PM »
Sounds like your spoon presentation is your go to for what your targeting. When fish get finicky or want a smaller presentation #14 or #16 jigs go with the tungsten. It will enhance your ability to see very light bite's and that means more fish in the bucket.
good luck
Be Safe, Be Smart, Have a Great Time!!!

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 17, 2014, 05:28 PM »
Check out Brantner jigs! Can find them on face book. They are darn nice. Don't forget about Northland Hexi fly's ether. I mainly crappie fish. These are my go to ice jigs, especially when using whip plastics.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Sep 17, 2014, 06:23 PM »
Tungsten shows up on your flasher screen like a bowling ball too... they are nice to fish with.

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 17, 2014, 06:27 PM »
About all i use anymore, and Ive only had one break ( i think a laker took it)  They are a little pricy but I love em. Donst help I had to replace all my jigs a few years ago so thats what Ive been getting.
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline wolffpack08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Sep 17, 2014, 08:39 PM »
Ok. I guess it I come across anything that seems like a good deal maybe ill grab a few.

Offline TIP DOWN BUD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Sep 18, 2014, 07:21 PM »
There definatly nice to have a couple laying around for certain things... until those bass come around and straighten them out or break them. I love em and hate em at the same time.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 06, 2014, 02:25 AM »
the northland tungsten fire-ball jigs and the CJ&S Majmun jigs are both really good quality for a decent price (pick one or the other, the shape is the same) i like the Majmun jigs a bit more because they have a longer hook shank, which not only allows for more bait, but also improve hooking percentage.

other than that, i stick with lead.

you might also consider trying a stacker rig: jigging spoon on the bottom and a small jig about a foot up the line from that. (make sure it's legal in your area)
usually that's the rig that catches me the most fish anyways.

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 06, 2014, 08:02 AM »

you might also consider trying a stacker rig: jigging spoon on the bottom and a small jig about a foot up the line from that. (make sure it's legal in your area)
usually that's the rig that catches me the most fish anyways.

I sometime's tie a fly 8-12 inches above my jig. tis targets the more aggressive fish that are not hugging the bottom.
Be Safe, Be Smart, Have a Great Time!!!

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 06, 2014, 07:42 PM »
Fiskas make some great jigs. Quality hooks and paint.   Get down quick and tight lines. 

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 06, 2014, 07:55 PM »
Sportsmens direct  also has some good ones

Offline MJB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2015, 10:58 PM »
Fiskas and Akara are both good brands
**HARD WATER MAFIA**

Offline Drifter315

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2015, 11:08 PM »
I sometime's tie a fly 8-12 inches above my jig. tis targets the more aggressive fish that are not hugging the bottom.

I do the same thing tie flie above my jig most of the time the hammer the flie
The tug is the drug !!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2015, 11:08 PM »
Tungsten has its place. If you want to get down fast, go tungsten. If you are fishing around brush, forget it.
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.