Author Topic: glow or no glow?  (Read 5213 times)

Offline 7lazy77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO POKES!
glow or no glow?
« on: Nov 20, 2011, 11:30 AM »
Do you guys find that glow jigs outperform non-glow jigs for trout & perch?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: glow or no glow?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2011, 02:00 PM »
Do you guys find that glow jigs outperform non-glow jigs for trout & perch?

That is a good question,and I can't wait to hear some good answers. I just bought my first glow jigs and haven't had time to test.
<===Lefty===

Online Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2011, 02:03 PM »
Some days they work great, others not so well. It always helps to have a variety of lures in the box.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2011, 03:45 PM »
for trout i've noticed that color and size play a bigger part than whether or not the lure glows.

however, i've found that perch bite much more on glow jigs than non glow jigs. even marmooskas with their tiny little dot of glow have had better results than a non-glowing marmish jig of the same color.

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2011, 03:49 PM »
no they don't work. send them to me and i will dispose of them. thank you

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2011, 04:03 PM »
Never used them for trout, but for perch they work for me...figure at least gives you an edge in dark or stained water, or on cloudy days with heavy ice. Just make sure you have a good name brand, the cheaper imports use non rare-earth phosphors for the paint, hence less and shorter glow.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2011, 04:08 PM »
Some days they work great, others not so well. It always helps to have a variety of lures in the box.

X2 I think it depends largely on what color the water is. In clear water I like to use non glow and realistic colors, wheras in dark lakes I like to use glow. I have caught a bunch of decent perch by accident while jigging for gills on glow in dark water. Likewise while jigging for rock bass in clear(er) water on non glow. A little glow is nice too. Some jigs have glow eyes or the bottom of the jigs are glow and the rest isnt which is also nice too.
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2011, 04:35 PM »
It seems like I always end up with a glow jig tied on before I end up catching enough fish to make it worthwhile, clear or stained water. Except for trout, then I just use a Swedish pimple in silver.

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2011, 05:53 PM »
Perch & eye`s.... right as the sun sets , frostees for me

Offline gillcraze

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • drill em n kill em
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2011, 05:59 PM »
nonglow
drill em n kill em

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2011, 06:51 PM »
Glow red is my favorite. I have even found that pannies, particularly gills, like that mauve color during good lighting and love it at low/no light periods.  However...it is also hard to beat black during low light.  So...alot of times I will go with black jig and red glow plastic, kinda best of both worlds.  When the sun is about to set I can guarantee that I have some sort of glow red tied for perch n gills.  As far as for trout I favor any silver/chrome spoon.
]

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2011, 07:26 AM »
no they don't work. send them to me and i will dispose of them. thank you

Give me your address and I will send them out right away. Only $4.99 For shipping on each. I can combine shipping with $4.99 for the first one and just $4.98 for each additional.
<===Lefty===

Offline fishin mt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2011, 07:38 AM »
I almost always use glow.  it seams to give you an edge.  i do use the silver swedish pimples alot with the glow strip.  this weekend my son knocked em dead with flutter spoon that was silver on one side and glow on the other. i do use the glow stuff as much for the white as i do for the glow.

Offline MT167

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2011, 07:15 PM »
A silver swedish pimple with a glow strip, and a white glow hook six inches below it for perch works well for me.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Nov 21, 2011, 07:53 PM »
A silver swedish pimple with a glow strip, and a white glow hook six inches below it for perch works well for me.

OK hold on here. Did you say a Glow Hook? I haven't even tried Glow jigs and now you throw Glow hooks at me. Now I am going to have to shell out more money for more stuff I have no idea how to use. You guy's are killing me here.
<===Lefty===

Offline amcmullen

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I may be obsessed...
« Reply #15 on: Nov 22, 2011, 08:47 AM »
OK hold on here. Did you say a Glow Hook? I haven't even tried Glow jigs and now you throw Glow hooks at me. Now I am going to have to shell out more money for more stuff I have no idea how to use. You guy's are killing me here.

C'mon Lefty get with the times!  Glow jigs were so three years ago, Glow hooks were two years ago.  This year we have glow plastics.  Perhaps in 2012 we'll have glow fishing line. 

Now where it gets really confusing is when the fish only want a glow green jig with red and green dots with a glow blue hook.  tip that with a plain spike sandwiched between a green and red one.  Pair that with a twitch, twitch, pause, bounce, bounce bounce jigging motion and you're set.
 ;D ;D ;D

The Forage minnow jigs I picked up this year look like dynamite!  They glow nice and strong, however, the fish pattern is over the glow so it accents the pattern.  Plus its gold!  Anything gold gets my vote for trout!

I'm cold and I like it

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 22, 2011, 10:04 AM »

Caught me offguard too Lefty, Id never heard of glow hooks either. LOL

In my 1 season of actually concentrating on jigging I found the glow jigs worked better than the non glow on perch. Im fishing pretty dark/stained water though.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Nov 22, 2011, 01:48 PM »
C'mon Lefty get with the times!  Glow jigs were so three years ago, Glow hooks were two years ago.  This year we have glow plastics.  Perhaps in 2012 we'll have glow fishing line. 

Now where it gets really confusing is when the fish only want a glow green jig with red and green dots with a glow blue hook.  tip that with a plain spike sandwiched between a green and red one.  Pair that with a twitch, twitch, pause, bounce, bounce bounce jigging motion and you're set.
 ;D ;D ;D

The Forage minnow jigs I picked up this year look like dynamite!  They glow nice and strong, however, the fish pattern is over the glow so it accents the pattern.  Plus its gold!  Anything gold gets my vote for trout!

The times are passing by me as I sit here confused. Someday in about 3 years from now I will see a post on Glow this or that and say hey, I remember those. Why didn't I buy some? Of course by then I will have forgotten more about Ice Fishing then I remember anyway.
<===Lefty===

Offline amcmullen

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I may be obsessed...
« Reply #18 on: Nov 22, 2011, 08:26 PM »
The times are passing by me as I sit here confused. Someday in about 3 years from now I will see a post on Glow this or that and say hey, I remember those. Why didn't I buy some? Of course by then I will have forgotten more about Ice Fishing then I remember anyway.

Lefty,
Hope you didn't take my post the wrong way.  It's hard to put emotions into typing.  The point I was trying to make was that everything seems to be "glow" these days.  Don't get me wrong, I believe it can be effective.  However I think it's getting a little carried away

I like glow for trout.
I'm cold and I like it

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Nov 23, 2011, 07:23 AM »
Lefty,
Hope you didn't take my post the wrong way.  It's hard to put emotions into typing.  The point I was trying to make was that everything seems to be "glow" these days.  Don't get me wrong, I believe it can be effective.  However I think it's getting a little carried away

I like glow for trout.

Not a problem, I was simply stating I am getting old and don't keep up on things. I have worked on Computers since the 80's and have forgotten more about them then I remember about them.  People whom I fix their Computers always ask me, how did you learn all this?I just tell them I like to play around with things and see what I can get away with. 

I have seen some crazy ways to catch fish also. There were 3 of us up in Wyoming and we weren't catching a thing.  My friends brother laid down on the ice and started jigging like a mad man. He then said hey the fish liked that. So he stood up and jigged up and down with long strokes and very fast. Then just stopped. with in a few minutes he had 2 of our limits and ended up catching all but 1 fish and we were done for the day.  He was using a Brass Bikini Crocodile lure.
<===Lefty===

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #20 on: Nov 23, 2011, 05:52 PM »
If it don,t glow it don,t go.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #21 on: Nov 28, 2011, 03:04 AM »
Glow, when u don't light it up, it don't glow.  ;D

However sometimes I like the metallic look and that seems to be the meal ticket.  However, what I will start with is depending on when I fish.  If daytime fishing metallic lures no glow.  For nightime fishing, I start with glows.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 28, 2011, 09:52 AM »
what are you using to light up the glow lures, any light work, i had a neon style light in the boat but the glow on the lures really didnt last and they never really lit up

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 28, 2011, 05:53 PM »
Big fan of the glow.  Fishing crappies after dark glow is a must around me.  Most of the time you reel it in, glow it, drop it, and the fish show up on the flasher.  We will catch one and most every time someone will say, I just glowed it and he hit.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 28, 2011, 07:22 PM »
Big fan of the glow.  Fishing crappies after dark glow is a must around me.  Most of the time you reel it in, glow it, drop it, and the fish show up on the flasher.  We will catch one and most every time someone will say, I just glowed it and he hit.

There is definately a difference in the types of glow paints for how long they last, also in how you charge them. Use a light made specifically for charging glow lures. Custom Jigs and Spinds sells one... as does most jig companies I think. But even with the right light and the right paint, I still recharge mine after about 5 minutes or so.....

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 30, 2011, 08:53 PM »
Get an old camera and hit the jig with a flash...nothing on this planet can make a jig brighterhttp://

Offline IceFlagger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trick'in & Kill'in
« Reply #26 on: Jan 01, 2012, 06:03 PM »
go with glow.

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I have been on top of the world, and theres no ice
« Reply #27 on: Jan 01, 2012, 06:06 PM »
Yes, but keep the glow to a minimum. Only the eye or other small part of it. And make sure its a red glow, not a Green glow.

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 02, 2012, 09:11 AM »
Yes, but keep the glow to a minimum. Only the eye or other small part of it. And make sure its a red glow, not a Green glow.

Some places might be different, but I disagree with this completely.  First, I have found red glow to work better than green, BUT there have been more than a couple nights in which green glow has outfished red.  It really depends on the mood of the fish. 

Also, I have found the brighter the thing glows the better.  I cannot count the times myself or a buddy caught and/or graphed fish immediately after a glow.

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 04, 2012, 01:42 AM »
I've seen a 40 year old lake trout commit suicide over a glow bucktail..80% of my laker lures glow.. :o
Jig em up!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.