Author Topic: Frabil Panfish Popper Rods  (Read 3194 times)

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
Frabil Panfish Popper Rods
« on: Oct 19, 2010, 09:18 PM »
I was Looking at the 24" Ultra Light. Would be using it for gills and crappie. Maybe occasionally perch. Has anyone used this that can shed some light on if it is a decent rod? Thanks.

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Frabil Panfish Popper Rods
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2010, 09:25 PM »
This rod is great for crappie and gills. I would go with a light action rod for all 3 species.

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2010, 09:37 PM »
Are you saying go with the light because of targetting the perch? Or is light better than ultra light for another reason? I have 2 other rods I can use for perch, and 2 other rods that are for walleye but I've caught perch on. This would mostly be for gill and crappie.

servocam

« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2010, 09:40 PM »
Last year I bought both the 24" ultra light and 26" light and love them both.  Can't really say I notice much difference between them, but also didn't catch any trophy panfish either.  Only issue I have had is the spring ice'n up when not in the shack on a windy day.  I did have to drill out one of the spring bobbers as the hole was not punched through (molding issue I guess).  

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2010, 10:08 PM »
Are you saying go with the light because of targetting the perch? Or is light better than ultra light for another reason? I have 2 other rods I can use for perch, and 2 other rods that are for walleye but I've caught perch on. This would mostly be for gill and crappie.
  If you already have perch rods than I would definatly go with the utralite. I prefer light action rods for most of my panfishing needs . When I'm crappie fishing it's strictly ultralite unless the action is very aggessive in which I will go to my light or even mediumlight action gear. Smaller dinnersized crappie needs smaller gear. When the slabs are biteing (which I release) I use bigger heavier gear. just my.02

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2010, 05:21 PM »
So upon thinking about it more, I'm considering getting an ultra light and a light. Use the ultra light for gills and small crappie. Use the light for bigger crappie or perch. Having a hard time deciding though because on one hand I already have 6 rods. On the other hand 5 of them are mediums and the 6th is the older kind that has only 1 guide at the very end and a spool on it (the kind you hand line up). So I don't really have any light rods and would most likely benefit from them. Quite the dilemma

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2010, 06:42 PM »
Then definately buy both..... it makes catching even small panfish much more fun.... especially for small kids.... on 2nd thought... you better buy 2 of each!! LOL all joking though... they both have thier place and are good actions. One reason that I havent bought the panfish popper, though, is just what you're talking about... the spring bobber.... both the icing up.. and I dont like the long "bic pen" style spring bobbers.... harder to thread the line though. I do really like the "Enticer" rod for a "less expensive" rod. They retail for about $20, i think and are GREAT for the price!!

Offline something smells fishy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 21, 2010, 11:53 PM »
For the Price , great rods .Love mine  but the spring  at the tip , toss out with a balanced reel to match the rod no need for it , they just get in the way and freeze up . JMO

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2010, 10:42 PM »
The spring freezing up is an issue, and they have made it worse on the new models by adding a round bead with an even smaller hole, similar to a Thorne Bros. type. That said, I enjoy using mine when the weather is milder. Great rod for the money.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 2010, 11:09 PM »
The price Is right and they are a quality rod, the metal spring bobber can be a pain, and I recommend investing in a threader.

I use mine more in a heated hut then on the open ice

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 23, 2010, 05:33 AM »
Ice Junky.... where's you 2010 I.S. online tourney card on your signature bar under you posts?? Are you slacking?? LOL

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #11 on: Oct 23, 2010, 08:29 AM »
Ice Junky.... where's you 2010 I.S. online tourney card on your signature bar under you posts?? Are you slacking?? LOL

lol, yeah, Im having a hard time adding it. You can only use so many charachters in the signature line. so I have no room to add more pics. Ive been trying to find a way to turn them all into on long photo, any help or suggestions would be appreciated

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 23, 2010, 08:43 AM »
I picked up a light panfish popper yesterday. I was going to get an ultra light as well but GM didn't have one. All they had so far was the light and deadstick.

Offline BrianV

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 23, 2010, 09:35 AM »
lol, yeah, Im having a hard time adding it. You can only use so many charachters in the signature line. so I have no room to add more pics. Ive been trying to find a way to turn them all into on long photo, any help or suggestions would be appreciated

Something like this work?

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2010, 06:33 PM »
Panfish popper rod is great the reel is not so great. Has a bad drag on it and is not smooth. I would upgrade the reel. I bought one last year and replaced the reel right away with one I had on a bad rod, this year I bought a new Frabill Bro Series 6 bearing and the 27" ultralight quicktip rod combo. Great purchase thus far. I use the panfish popper as a back up, but its a great rod.
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2010, 06:54 PM »
Panfish popper rod is great the reel is not so great. Has a bad drag on it and is not smooth. I would upgrade the reel. I bought one last year and replaced the reel right away with one I had on a bad rod, this year I bought a new Frabill Bro Series 6 bearing and the 27" ultralight quicktip rod combo. Great purchase thus far. I use the panfish popper as a back up, but its a great rod.

Ya, I noticed that yesterday. Hooked about a 12" small mouth using it and had the drag loose. Didn't feel quite right. The reel was squeeky too which was kinda annoying.

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2010, 09:32 PM »
Love it great price got one for christmas last year and bought another one. Only thing I don't like is the spring bobber on these.

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #17 on: Dec 12, 2010, 09:46 PM »
i have 3 of the UL's with pflueger presidents and a trion on em...AWESOME setup.  They are tough as well, i have landed bass to 5lbs and broke off on pike.  I cut off the spring bobber on them and then polish the tip top guide with dremel.  My favorite rods thus far however just added a croix premier UL so will see how it compares.
]

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 18, 2010, 07:04 PM »
You could try lubing it with some ice lube to help. I think its already supposed to have it done, but it couldn't hurt.
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.