Author Topic: luan 4x8 sheathing for shack  (Read 18852 times)

Offline Walleye64

• Team IceShanty Regular
luan 4x8 sheathing for shack
« on: Jan 25, 2010, 07:31 PM »
1/4"?? can somebody post a picture of there shack with luan as siding so I can see what the luan looks like on the side of the shack. I'll be building a 6.5' by 5' shack this summer and I will use my little boat trailer and mount it on the side of the shack. the shack will be tiped over on the ice with the trailer on the side of the shack.

1/4" luan PRICE??

for the people that don't know, luan is underlayment for flooring kind of like plywood.

did any of you guys use 1/4" OSB? how does that hold up?? a couple coats of outdoor paint and you should be set to go right?

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Time spent fishing is not deducted from the total
Re: luan 4x8 sheathing for shack
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2010, 08:02 PM »
I'm thinking I would lean toward 1/4 exterior plywood. The Luan is not really very waterproof and comes apart pretty easy when it's wet. 1/4" OSP is mostly glue and it dosen't do water very well, worse than the Luan. I've built several shacks with the 1/4" exterior plywood and when painted good they will last for years.

1/4"?? can somebody post a picture of there shack with luan as siding so I can see what the luan looks like on the side of the shack. I'll be building a 6.5' by 5' shack this summer and I will use my little boat trailer and mount it on the side of the shack. the shack will be tiped over on the ice with the trailer on the side of the shack.

1/4" luan PRICE??

for the people that don't know, luan is underlayment for flooring kind of like plywood.

did any of you guys use 1/4" OSB? how does that hold up?? a couple coats of outdoor paint and you should be set to go right?
Bruster

Offline fishfeind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2010, 08:05 PM »
no pics yet but i am just finishing a sweet sled that I sheeted with luan got it at the local lumber yard for 8.49 a 4x8 sheet.  one side is just a plain old brown wood but the otherside was a nice marbled maple.  that side looks awsome.  the other side I am just painting
Getem caught

Offline Walleye64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2010, 08:08 PM »
I don't want to pay $20.00 for 1 sheet of plywood.

alot of people use osb for there shacks.

exterior paint will protect the luan just fine.

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2010, 08:12 PM »
Lauan comes in both exterior and interior grades. Make sure it's exterior and paint it well especially the edges. Primer/sealer and finish coat.
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline Walleye64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2010, 08:17 PM »
interior PRICE??

exterior PRICE??

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2010, 08:24 PM »
This is OSB after a year with 3 coat of exterior paint.

this is luan after 3 years.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2010, 08:29 PM »
And this is a good way to protect a roof. Plastic!

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2010, 01:25 AM »
I have a sled / shanty built from 3/16 (5mm) luan.  It works fine.  very light weight.  Being that I wanted to waterproof it the best I could I coated the lower 6 to 8" with "cheap" spray on bed liner..then painted the entire shack with porch / deck paint.  Seems to be holding up really well..But there again, during the summer it sits in the garage, during the winter it is either on the ice or in the back of my truck under a cap.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2010, 06:23 AM »
I use 3/8" OSB, primed and 2 coats of paint. Screwed it to a 2"X2" frame. Been on it's 3rd season with no issues or damage. I am going to attach some UHMW strips where the frame/OSB meets the ice before next season just for a little more protection against abuse.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2010, 06:50 AM »
I use 1/8 inch Luann all of the time. Mostly for weight reasons. It holds up well with two coats of Spar varnish. If I was going to leave it out in the summer also I would use a Latex paint instead. Like Sherwin Williams A-100. I have had the best success from this paint. I use it on the bottom of my shanties. Some are going on five years old with no issues. I only paint the bottom toward the ice, and leave the side I walk on untreated. It dries out better and does not trap any moisture into the wood like if it was painted on both sides. I keep my shanties indoors for the summer out of the sunlight.  I steer clear of the OSB because it is heavy! Someone on this site called it fallaparticle board. I would not spend the time or money using the stuff. It will hold water like a sponge and feel like it tripled in weight. It will also soak up the paint too. Adding weight just to make it last. Paint is about 10 lbs per gallon or more. Every gallon or every time you have to paint your shanty, is weight you have to push or pull onto the lake. My shanty weighs 332 lbs and is 8X8.

So to answer your question, you can use the sheets of luann, and make a roof like Mud said. to keep the water off. It will last a long time and won't get heavier every season.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2010, 07:44 AM »
Mine is Luan,I sprayed it down with thompsons and 3 years later still going strong. Maybe ready for another coat this summer.

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2010, 07:47 AM »
Last time I looked  at Lowe's, the good Lauon was more expensive than the 1/4 exterior plywood. What ever you use why would you want to do all the work to make a shack and save $10 just to have it fall apart in a few years?

I don't want to pay $20.00 for 1 sheet of plywood.

alot of people use osb for there shacks.

exterior paint will protect the luan just fine.
Bruster

Offline little gobbler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2010, 08:18 AM »
i used 1/4 inch plywood and i painted it with a few coats of paint. i also used grace ice and watershield for my roof. little pricey, but worth it
get outdoors or die tryin

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2010, 08:40 AM »
3/8" OSB...3 years running solid...still 150#...pulls easily by hand

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2010, 08:48 AM »
1/4 inch plywood is more durable than the Luann. 1/4 inch Luann is lighter if weight is an issue. Also; the marine grade and treated are even heavier yet. If you have a tow machine weight is not a problem.

Last time I looked  at Lowe's, the good Lauon was more expensive than the 1/4 exterior plywood. What ever you use why would you want to do all the work to make a shack and save $10 just to have it fall apart in a few years?

The problem making shanties out of so good and strong materials is weight vs work. In my area the guys who make the big shanties leave them on shore and walk out
instead. The ice does not get thick enough for truck traffic like it use to. If a shanty is too heavy and requires too much effort to take it out, eventually most will quit using it. Just my observation over the last 30 years.

Quote from: Iceassin link=topic=137770.msg1354329#msg1354329
date=1264516856

3/8" OSB...3 years running solid...still 150#...pulls easily by hand
(Image removed from quote.)

Nice set up!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2010, 09:23 AM »
1/4 inch plywood is more durable than the Luann. 1/4 inch Luann is lighter if weight is an issue. Also; the marine grade and treated are even heavier yet. If you have a tow machine weight is not a problem.

The problem making shanties out of so good and strong materials is weight vs work. In my area the guys who make the big shanties leave them on shore and walk out
instead. The ice does not get thick enough for truck traffic like it use to. If a shanty is too heavy and requires too much effort to take it out, eventually most will quit using it. Just my observation over the last 30 years.

Nice set up!
Thanks...I've since added UHMW plastic bars to the conduit skis, a door on the back end and a few fold down shelves on the inside. I light it up with 2 - 16 LED boat dome lights that will run all day and night off my spare vex battery. The battery box on the back holds my marine battery which power the underwater lights.

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2010, 09:27 AM »
Just make sure you paint it and cover it with a tarp in the summer....

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2010, 09:33 AM »
Just make sure you paint it and cover it with a tarp in the summer....
Fold mine up and store it back of garage

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2010, 11:11 AM »
Need to be clear here 1/4 Marine plywood is $100 a sheet, probably just a little overkill for a shack. Exterior grade plywood is $10-$12 sheet depending on lumber prices and where you live. There is no significant weight difference between marine grade, exterior, and interior grade providing they are made from the same wood. Treated will weigh more until it drys out.

Bruster

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2010, 11:30 AM »
There is no significant weight difference between marine grade, exterior, and interior grade providing they are made from the same wood.

Well this is exactly why luan mahogany is lighter than regular 1/4" plywood. The mahogany from the Philippines is lighter (and dryer) than the normal woods used (spruce-pine-fir) which usually has a much more moisture content than the prior. Having worked in lumber yards back in the day, I would much rather carry 2 sheets of nice and flat luan than 1 sheet of the extremely warp-able AC or BC grade 1/4" of the regular variety.
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 26, 2010, 12:20 PM »
I agree the Lauan is lighter than the fir plywood. for 2 reasons, it's dryer as you stated and it's about 20% thinner.

Well this is exactly why luan mahogany is lighter than regular 1/4" plywood. The mahogany from the Philippines is lighter (and dryer) than the normal woods used (spruce-pine-fir) which usually has a much more moisture content than the prior. Having worked in lumber yards back in the day, I would much rather carry 2 sheets of nice and flat luan than 1 sheet of the extremely warp-able AC or BC grade 1/4" of the regular variety.
Bruster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2010, 01:44 PM »
Thinner also means it needs more care handling. Can't get as RAMMY or it will damage easily. At the same time it patches easily with the same material glued on. I know the way some guys operate forcing things to move, instead of taking it slow and careful. If your RAMMY go with the plywood. Not saying this to be mean. ;D

Need to be clear here 1/4 Marine plywood is $100 a sheet, probably just a little overkill for a shack. Exterior grade plywood is $10-$12 sheet depending on lumber prices and where you live. There is no significant weight difference between marine grade, exterior, and interior grade providing they are made from the same wood. Treated will weigh more until it drys out.

Most build a shanty and take it out right away. Not waiting for the marine grade to dry out. Another option in the expensive category would be the aviation grade. I will say, it is not necessary to use expensive wood. I have built several shanties out of scrap wood. It's more important how your construction skills are with the materials available.

Offline mongosmash

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 26, 2010, 05:16 PM »
Fold mine up and store it back of garage
hey i like your design. have a question about it though, is theiir a bottom on it? how do you keep it open when the wind blows? i'm also going to use 1\4" to keep the wieght down, i'm a walker and need it to be as light as possible.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Jan 26, 2010, 05:30 PM »
hey i like your design. have a question about it though, is theiir a bottom on it? how do you keep it open when the wind blows? i'm also going to use 1\4" to keep the wieght down, i'm a walker and need it to be as light as possible.
There is no bottom although Ive entertained the idea of adding one,not sure yet. And I don't know what you mean by "keeping it open when the wind blows" ???

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Jan 26, 2010, 05:36 PM »
There is no bottom although Ive entertained the idea of adding one,not sure yet. And I don't know what you mean by "keeping it open when the wind blows" ???

I think he is asking what you are doing for a spreader bar to keep the two ends upright and the tarp tight when fishing in it.  ;)2

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Jan 26, 2010, 05:53 PM »
I think he is asking what you are doing for a spreader bar to keep the two ends upright and the tarp tight when fishing in it.  ;)2
Ahhhh!...I use 5 lengths of conduit (2 on the bottom,2 on the sides 'bout halfway up and one at the top). They attach to the 2X2 frame using 1/4" clevis pins "punched" through the frame. The ends of the conduit are flattened out w/ holes drilled to fit clevis pins. Takes 5 minutes to set up. Got about $100 + or - wrapped into it.

Offline mongosmash

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 26, 2010, 06:38 PM »
Ahhhh!...I use 5 lengths of conduit (2 on the bottom,2 on the sides 'bout halfway up and one at the top). They attach to the 2X2 frame using 1/4" clevis pins "punched" through the frame. The ends of the conduit are flattened out w/ holes drilled to fit clevis pins. Takes 5 minutes to set up. Got about $100 + or - wrapped into it.
thanks that's what i wanted to know. my last question is on ice[ with no snow on it] do the flaps you put on it keep the wind out? also could you post a pic of the inside? thanks i really do like your shanty

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Jan 26, 2010, 06:54 PM »
thanks that's what i wanted to know. my last question is on ice[ with no snow on it] do the flaps you put on it keep the wind out? also could you post a pic of the inside? thanks i really do like your shanty
The flaps work pretty good w/o snow. They're about 8" wide, so if there is no snow to put on them a bit of a breeze sneaks in but not bad. I don't think I have any pics of the inside, but I will look tomorrow...I'm at work right now ;)

Offline mongosmash

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 26, 2010, 07:09 PM »
The flaps work pretty good w/o snow. They're about 8" wide, so if there is no snow to put on them a bit of a breeze sneaks in but not bad. I don't think I have any pics of the inside, but I will look tomorrow...I'm at work right now ;)
thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.