Author Topic: Panfish Jigs  (Read 6607 times)

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Panfish Jigs
« on: Aug 07, 2018, 12:28 PM »
Curious what brand people prefer for panfishing.  Seems like the ones I have bought in the last few years don't hold a glow at all and they are cheaply made.
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Panfish Jigs
« Reply #1 on: Aug 07, 2018, 01:13 PM »
I use Kodiak Jigs almost exclusively. They are made in Tecumseh Michigan.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Aug 07, 2018, 02:49 PM »
Wolfram fiskas from yourbobbersdown

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Aug 07, 2018, 03:17 PM »
X2

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Aug 07, 2018, 03:28 PM »
My local bait shop sells them too.  Any style in specific you prefer?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Aug 07, 2018, 03:33 PM »
I use 3mm black/white glow dots,red/white glow dots and white/black dots.also the glow/gold with the hole in it and it snells on.rarely have to tie on any other colors all season.

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Aug 07, 2018, 03:40 PM »
3mm is big enough??

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Aug 07, 2018, 04:13 PM »
Only size i use for gills,specks and perch.i fish pressured waters and fish like the smaller presentations.i have some 4mm too but my go to size is 3mm.

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Aug 07, 2018, 04:14 PM »
you pair that up with 2# mono then?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Aug 07, 2018, 04:20 PM »
Yep 1lbs or 2.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #10 on: Aug 07, 2018, 05:28 PM »
#1 bentley
#2 kodiak
#3 fiskas

sizes 2 thru 5.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #11 on: Aug 07, 2018, 06:01 PM »
In the past couple of years I have really culled the number of jigs I now use...I prefer the RGM and Fiska tungsten's in #3 and #4 sizes and use 3 primary colors in each size : gold, orange/chartreuse and my #1 go-to wonderbread (this one has really paid dividends). And to go just a little further, I'm not one to spend a ton of $ on my rods and reels, as long as the tip is a little on the stiff side, medium/light variety and in the 36" to 48" range. Other than the right jig for the bite, I like to make sure I have a good (wire) strike indicator. I have a few that I have made out of 30# leader wire that are very sensitive, detecting even the lightest bite and with the stiffer rod tip I can get a pretty quick hook set with few misses. About a week ago, I found a guy who makes and sells indicators like mine so may be going to him...saving me a little time in making them. I'm also a 3# fluoro guy. There, that's my pannie set-up. 
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Aug 07, 2018, 06:20 PM »
Jeffs jigs and flies are killer if you are looking more for a realistic hand tied fly. Other wise I like kenders jigs and fiskas.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Aug 07, 2018, 06:34 PM »
3mm on 2# flourocarbon will handle most any Pannie

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Aug 07, 2018, 08:23 PM »
So why fluro over mono?  I’ve only ever fished mono.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Aug 07, 2018, 10:16 PM »
I really like Mono or Co-poly then fluoro leader material for the last 2 feet or so.  Specifically fluoro leader material...invisible, abrasion resistant, sinks faster.  It just catches more fish for me.  Pans to Mac to Pike it does the trick.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #16 on: Aug 08, 2018, 04:13 AM »
I'm as boring as they come when it comes to panfish jigs.  I will use the plain gumball jig head.  I find it suits me better to have a longer shank hook.  That's my style.

If I'm struggling...I downsize to those tiny hali jigs.  Tiamanti or whatever was the name of them.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Aug 08, 2018, 08:04 AM »
So why fluro over mono?  I’ve only ever fished mono.
Flouro sinks, is thinner, tougher and easier to keep straight and see even the slightest take. When you're talking ultra light, finesse presentations they're all positives. Generally only have twice my normal dishing depth tied to the end of the backing/reel filler.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Aug 08, 2018, 10:38 AM »
I fish almost exclusively with Fiskas from sizes 2.5mm up to 5mm. Painted, epoxy, and thier UV jigs. All of them work well and are of good quality. The epoxy glows the best. The painted ones, IME, don’t glow nearly as well as they should but I just switch to an epoxy jig if I want glow. No biggie. The finish on all of them hold up pretty well unless you bang against rocks or something.

Skandia jigs are a close second for me if I’m in a pinch and the store I’m at doesn’t carry Fiskas.

I’ve been using 3# Suffix Ice Magic the last 3-4 seasons without any complaints. I might try a flouro leader attached to a swivel this season to see if it helps more with finesse situations. I also tie my own flies all year round and sometimes that’s what it takes to catch them. I hate buying flies (for what they cost retail) when I can just tie whatever I need.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Aug 08, 2018, 03:31 PM »
Look up Caty Jigs...   ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Aug 08, 2018, 04:33 PM »
Sportsmens Direct

Catchin' Fish

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #21 on: Aug 12, 2018, 10:35 AM »
I've found Custom Jigs-n-Spins products to be of good quality and their prices around the same as others. No idea how their length of glow compares to other jigs once charged.
Steve

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Sep 13, 2018, 08:56 AM »
Jeffs jigs and flies are killer if you are looking more for a realistic hand tied fly. Other wise I like kenders jigs and fiskas.

I 2nd the Jeff's Jigs.  Also, a lesser known ice fly company, Liam's Lures has some really cool hand tied tungsten flies.  Some have really long lasting glow heads.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Sep 13, 2018, 08:57 AM »
Curious what brand people prefer for panfishing.  Seems like the ones I have bought in the last few years don't hold a glow at all and they are cheaply made.

See my post above about good glows on the Liam's Lures flies.  They come up in a Google search.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #24 on: Sep 13, 2018, 10:07 AM »
8mybait 3mm tungsten $1 each

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Sep 14, 2018, 10:20 AM »
Kenders outdoors. No issues with pain chipping, glow lasts as long as any other jigs I've used and they are reasonably priced ~$2.50 a piece. They just released a couple new colors this year too. Kits are nice if you're looking for a compact carrying case too.
Da Pack!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Sep 20, 2018, 05:47 AM »
3mm on 2# flourocarbon will handle most any Pannie

Agreed...although I usually go with 3# and will toss on a 4mm jig once in awhile. As Dr. Speckler said, fishing pressured waters can be a challenge sometimes; smaller presentations are better. I'm also a big fan of high quality wire indicators...Ice Strong titaniums work real well with smaller jigs. A little on the pricey side but well worth it in my opinion. All of my pannie rods have them and I was even able to put a 90* bend in them for better sight...I use 36 and 48" rods so there's a little distance between my eyes and the end of the rod...and these eyes are old! ;D

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Sep 20, 2018, 08:16 AM »
Agreed...although I usually go with 3# and will toss on a 4mm jig once in awhile. As Dr. Speckler said, fishing pressured waters can be a challenge sometimes; smaller presentations are better. I'm also a big fan of high quality wire indicators...Ice Strong titaniums work real well with smaller jigs. A little on the pricey side but well worth it in my opinion. All of my pannie rods have them and I was even able to put a 90* bend in them for better sight...I use 36 and 48" rods so there's a little distance between my eyes and the end of the rod...and these eyes are old! ;D

How do those ice strong spring bobbers attach to the rod? Is there a way to easily remove it or slide it down to store the rod without bending the spring bobber? Can't put a price on a quality spring bobber...
Da Pack!

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Sep 20, 2018, 04:28 PM »
Most use heat shrink tubing but I have used fly tying thread and a coat of epoxy to seal it up.  I did this on a scheels rod that had the tip top busted off.  I use it for a deadstick minnow rig.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Sep 20, 2018, 05:09 PM »
How do those ice strong spring bobbers attach to the rod? Is there a way to easily remove it or slide it down to store the rod without bending the spring bobber? Can't put a price on a quality spring bobber...

https://www.yourbobbersdown.com/category-s/139.htm

They can be put on using a shrink tube (not recommended) but I prefer to tie mine on with sewing thread then cover with clear nail polish. They come in various thicknesses so that pretty much eliminates the need to slide them up and down. I use the .016 on 4mm jigs and the .014 on 3mm jigs. As I mentioned before, I put a 90* bend, 1 inch from the back end so that it is easier for me to see the strike (horizontal to the rod). Also, when I attach them to the rod I put eye of the indicator at the 10 or 11 o'clock position as I'm looking down the rod from butt to tip. This gives it a nice position/balance when the jigs are on. I don't use swivels or split shot so I can run the jig right up to the tip eliminating the line from getting tangled around the rod when transporting, not to mention I am very careful when doing so...not real keen on spending another 10 bucks on an indicator. ;) Hope this helps Junkie4Ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.