Author Topic: unemployed  (Read 9238 times)

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
unemployed
« on: Mar 08, 2007, 11:27 AM »
How many of you guys in here are unemployed.  I just got cut yesterday...andI am bored and honked off.  Ya wanna gripe...do it here.  I will be watchin' foryour post...misery loves company
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline DonW

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: unemployed
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2007, 11:31 AM »
Hey RC,
   Happened to me a few years back. It gets better, believe me. Good Luck with your job search!!

Tight Lines,
DonW

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2007, 11:35 AM »
Happened to me 4 years ago and I ended up in a way better job.  ;D
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2007, 11:36 AM »
ya...I know....the good lord has provided alot for me...he will take care of me....it is not a money thing...I just need to keep working at something...and yes I will be fishing...anyone need some holes pre- drilled?  I will charge 10 cents a hole.  Any takers? ;D

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2007, 11:39 AM »
I was unemployed a few years back. People think "if I were unemployed, I would just hunt and fish all of the time." The problem with this is that you don't have the money to go fishing.

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2007, 11:39 AM »
thanks guys for the encouragement....michi gan is not exactly what I would call a promising state to find a new job in.  And I am in a skilled trade!  It is alwasy slow this time of year...but I have never been layed off....I always had work.  oh well life gives me lemons..I will make lemonade
 :D

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2007, 11:41 AM »
Reality Check,

What trade, and what part of Michigan?

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2007, 11:42 AM »
Ya.....you need to buy gas to get to your lake...and you need to buy bait....and some where in all that you need to find a job... working for a living does put a crimp on my fishing..and hunting ;)2

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2007, 11:42 AM »
That sucks. I've been there.  The nice thing was that I ended up with a way better career instead of just a job.  It was tough at first but once we got caught up, things worked out for the better.  Good luck.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2007, 11:43 AM »
Electrician...4th year apprentice..taking test late summer or early fall.

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2007, 11:46 AM »
I specialize in the high voltage/ commercial end of things...and yes RL I share you views on our favorite govenor.  Don't get me started on politics...I have the time to complain about em now..I didn't in past post on license fees(which I am done talking about also) ;D

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2007, 11:47 AM »

You won't be unemployed for too long...

Collect your unenjoyment benies for awhile, enjoy the time off.

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2007, 11:52 AM »
Hey ken I was born in NH.  In manchester NH.  How is the job market there?   I like to catch and eat perch..maybe I could move back out there... 8)

Offline benjui567

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2007, 11:53 AM »
www.careerbuilder.com

www.monster.com

www.mlive.com

www.michworks.org

www.craigslist.com

www.motorcityhelpwante d.com

Get your resume posted at these sites and check all 6 everyday for new posts. Not saying you will always find em but I have found quite a few jobs on here.

Offline RebelIceFshr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 08, 2007, 11:55 AM »

Sounds like you're in a union.  Seems like they'd have you off the bench in no time.  Have you considered working out of state?

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 08, 2007, 11:57 AM »
I'm in the same boat right now in alaska, been looking for a job hard. I'm collecting unemployment and my wife is working, it's still a stress on her though :(...anyhow its a little tough to get a job this time of year, especially when I want something that I can turn into a carreer with a compensation worth going off unimployment for :P (seriously, minimum wage is unemployment!!!)

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 08, 2007, 11:58 AM »
Hey ken I was born in NH.  In manchester NH.  How is the job market there?   I like to catch and eat perch..maybe I could move back out there... 8)

I got a couple buddies that are electricians and they are slow right now.  You know how it is, waiting for the homebuilding construction to kick in again.  Not really sure on the industrial electrician business.   I don't mind eating perch...cause I'm from NY...most people in NH think I'm an odd duck because of it.  If you do move back, you gotta lose that Detroit baseball hat and put on a Sox hat ;)

Offline RebelIceFshr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 08, 2007, 11:59 AM »
Sounds like you're in a union.  Seems like they'd have you off the bench in no time.  Have you considered working out of state?

OK, I'm back... had to get you the link.
Call these guys.... probably have an outage going on in Mich this time of year.  If you're not union, get on with them, if you're union, get on your BAs ass.  Tell him yours is getting flat sitting around waiting on a job.  After you get your card, you'll be better able to get on with Atlantic.

http://www.atlanticgroup.com

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 08, 2007, 12:00 PM »
Consider working out of state?...I dream about it every night....my wife just graduated college...and we live in a apt.  Nothing is holding me back from moving.  I am not in the union unfortunately.  I even graduated from the I.B.E.W. course at our local community college.  I wanted to...but the had a ton of guys on the books for quite some time around here..local 131.  I like the union I would join the union if I could just stay busy....if I move I probably will join wherever I land.  

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 08, 2007, 12:06 PM »
Ken I would move back to NH but you are right...I owuld have to loose the Detroit hat....and well I just can't see that happening...so I guess I am doomed to stay around here for a while ;D

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 08, 2007, 12:13 PM »
so jake what do you do to pass the time...Look for jobs?....fish? or just sit at home and do odd jobs cuzz ya can't afford to do anything else?  I just did the dishes..and need a ice shanty break..lol
 :)

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #21 on: Mar 08, 2007, 12:19 PM »
 :D too funny and too true, if my wife knew I was on iceshanty she would string me up right now.  I'm supposed to be cleaning the house  :o::) yesterday was looking for jobs and hopefully this weekend and tonight (if i get the house clean) will be icefishing!!!

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 08, 2007, 01:01 PM »
www.careerbuilder.com

www.monster.com

www.mlive.com

www.michworks.org

www.craigslist.com

www.motorcityhelpwante d.com

Get your resume posted at these sites and check all 6 everyday for new posts. Not saying you will always find em but I have found quite a few jobs on here.

Craigslist is the way to go.  There are job listings on there, and you can also post your resume.  I currently have a job, working in a union wholesale bread factory supplying all of Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio with their bread, with a college degree, go figture, thanks BUSH,  but looking to relocate to Chicago area.  I guess I shouldn't complain to much, I make more than most "professional" jobs, I get Monday and Friday off, not many people on the ice those days, and by working second shift, I get to ice fish every single morning.  I posted my resume on Craigslist, and I get several calls and emails each week, either from recruiters or directly from HR within specific companies.  I actually prefer to work with the recruiters, they only get paid by the company if they place you, so they work on your behalf, and you pay nothing.

In the meantime get that unemployment and enjoy the fishing.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline Tim Hanford

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #23 on: Mar 08, 2007, 01:17 PM »
I've been unemployed since mid-November.  Had several interviews but didn't hit the right one yet.  It's tough at times and there were ice fishing trips I had to pass on because of gas $$ and so on but hang in there, it WILL get better.

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 08, 2007, 01:23 PM »
thanks guys,

I just printed out the list ....like I mentioned earlier I had a few nibbles in the last day.....but nothing I could set the hook on.  I think I should get out and fish...the ice might be gone soon and I want to take advantage of it.  In the mean time I will start the job search on the web..... :o ;D

Offline Mayor.of.NY

• IceShanty Rookie
  • it is what it is,was what it was,u saw what u see
« Reply #25 on: Mar 08, 2007, 01:26 PM »
im unemployed and love it !!! ;D  duck hunt and fish all fall and winter(untill spring) then back to laying rock asphalt
milk the unemployment everyone else does its your turn(fill buckets while you can)

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Mar 08, 2007, 01:49 PM »
Consider working out of state?...I dream about it every night....my wife just graduated college...and we live in a apt.  Nothing is holding me back from moving.  I am not in the union unfortunately.  I even graduated from the I.B.E.W. course at our local community college.  I wanted to...but the had a ton of guys on the books for quite some time around here..local 131.  I like the union I would join the union if I could just stay busy....if I move I probably will join wherever I land.  
upstate, ny-
corning inc. is now hiring skilled trades-i've been with them a year and a half-best job i ever had-theyre paying me to type this right now
we're in the steel workers , local 1000
send me a p.m.
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline Longwooddrive

• IceShanty Rookie
  • From the gridiron to the ice
« Reply #27 on: Mar 08, 2007, 05:06 PM »
I'm an artist for the government as well, I draw unemployment in the winter time.  Would prefer to work year round but I'm in a good position with the Department of Fisheries and Oceans here in N.B. so can't complain.  Manage all right in the winter.  Build on my funds threw sports gambling.  College b-ball, Nba and hockey have bailed me out countless times.  Alot of time spent studying the film.... ;)
Lots of time to go Ice fishing.
IF I had kids......things would be a lot different for sure!
"Knowledge is power, Power is knowledge!"

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Mar 08, 2007, 05:50 PM »
My company closed the local office here February 11th. I bought a new boat in January, went on vacation the first week of February and got a phone call midway through my vacation that I would not have an office when I got back. I was offered a job 700 miles away or cya l8tr. Lets just say I have been doing a lot of fishing. The thing that pi$$es me off more than anything was the fact that as a manager I could see the entire thing coming since July of 2006 and the rotten $$%%$# continued lieing to me about what was going on. I blatantly asked them the second week in January before I signed the papers on my boat whether our office would be open through the next year. I was told, "don't worry, your job is secure." Luckily, I had a bad feeling back in July and started hording money so I wasn't caught off guard. I saved enough to live a year or two. I think they expected me to take the job offer and were suprised when I said no thanks, its time to move on. I am so glad that I had the presence of mind to not trust them. It kept me from going into panic mode when that happened.

Yesterday I got a job offer from a competitor that had been trying to recruit me for months before the closure. He didn't even know we closed. I meet with him on Monday and if everything works out I will be back to work in a couple of weeks for more money and much less driving. My heart goes out to everyone in this situation. The same week my company closed, another company laid off 300 employees. Not good timing at all.

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline GrnDay33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Mar 08, 2007, 06:16 PM »
I work seasonal as a landscaper, And the winter i get laud off and collect unemployment, Sad thing is with all the hours i put in in the summer i make only $16 less every 2 weeks in unemployment, then i would if i would work 2- 40 hour weeks. But the hunting and icefishing are great, being that it is March though, i will be headed back to work in about 2 weeks. Spring sux. lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.