The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Lake Buel Ice Report  (Read 2729 times)

Offline 2Dales

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lake Buel Ice Report
« on: Jan 22, 2016, 01:45 PM »
 6" hard ice today.

Offline manitron

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Lake Buel Ice Report
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2016, 01:49 PM »
Thanks for the report. :thumbsup:
Being on ice is nice but the tug is the drug.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2016, 02:25 PM »
Thats a bit vague, I was told that someone went in here last week from Paul at Tafts tackle...Checked the ice last Friday and found 2" max. 

Offline troutncrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2016, 02:29 PM »
Buel's boat ramp can freeze funny due to some deep water right off shore. I heard a number of guys fishing it however and reports I have heard are around 4 inches so as always guys don't count on ice shanty to assure your safety. Check yourself... be safe. This is one odd winter
Drill um and fill um........

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2016, 02:32 PM »
Buel's boat ramp can freeze funny due to some deep water right off shore. I heard a number of guys fishing it however and reports I have heard are around 4 inches so as always guys don't count on ice shanty to assure your safety. Check yourself... be safe. This is one odd winter

That deep water is a bit futher from the ramp but you do get into 10' quickly. It does freeze oddly though!  (home water for me I spend hundreds of hours here) 4" is way more reasonable of an estimate.

Offline Snotts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2016, 02:52 PM »
two guys were fishing it yesterday -21st, one about 80yds out from launch other was off herberts cove rd. I just did a drive by so use caution b4 venturing out.

Offline 2Dales

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2016, 03:20 PM »
Specifically: I was fishing about 100 yards off the ramp. Cut about 20 holes. All 6" of hard ice, and the ice was booming so I imagine it will only get better. Hopefully the fishing will too!

Offline mrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2016, 07:22 PM »
I went out last Sunday not far from buel and measured 5 1/2"to 6" in a few different areas went back to fish Tuesday and  the first hole I drilled was 3 1/2 ". Today drilled 10 holes and everything was 7".

Offline barb0405

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2016, 12:59 PM »
Anybody know how much ice is on Buel? Planning on going next Saturday the 13th. Can't get on Garfield

Offline MR WOZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2016, 05:50 PM »
My buddy went there Friday......boat ramp area was a mess ,he didn't bother trying to get on the ice

Offline barb0405

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2016, 12:44 PM »
Thanks for the report. How about Center Pond? Any info on that?

Offline TheTroutWhisperer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2016, 02:24 PM »
This is a tough question to ask these days. You can expect the same insufferable response from the same handful of know it all, internet hardo, keyboard cow boys that post (and prevent) 90% of the information on this particular forum.
Now I expect everyone to say how irresponsible this statement is, and that I'll be charged with manslaughter for making it... Even if everything does go fine on any body of water.
My advice is find a few guys you think are cool and know what they are talking about and PM them. That's how you will get your best honest and accurate information.
Relying on some of these clowns in general posts is nothing but a frustrating waste of time.

Read a few threads and you will clearly see who I am referring to.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2016, 02:27 PM »
PM me and I'll let you know.  Simple as that. 

Troutwhisperer are you surprised?  I travel to a lot of other states, VT, NH, NY ect...I've found that the only honest ice answer is the one you make by checking yourself.  Now that said, I don't complain about it...

Relying on the general population for info on something that could be life threatening is pretty foolish in my humble opinion.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2016, 04:11 PM »
This is a tough question to ask these days. You can expect the same insufferable response from the same handful of know it all, internet hardo, keyboard cow boys that post (and prevent) 90% of the information on this particular forum.
Now I expect everyone to say how irresponsible this statement is, and that I'll be charged with manslaughter for making it... Even if everything does go fine on any body of water.
My advice is find a few guys you think are cool and know what they are talking about and PM them. That's how you will get your best honest and accurate information.
Relying on some of these clowns in general posts is nothing but a frustrating waste of time.

Read a few threads and you will clearly see who I am referring to.
Spot on post ! You need to find guys that are willing to travel hundreds of miles to find ice ,guys that know how to read a tape measure, guys that know HOW to check the ice , experience is key and that's not what you'll get sitting on I.S all day instead of actually going fishing! After many years of doing all my own scouting etc ,it's nice to have good friends that I've met on ponds or on I.S to call and get an honest ice report . These guys will actually travel to a specific pond and physically walk out and check it ! Like Manitron  (Manny) A huge help and we are grateful for his help!

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2016, 04:16 PM »
Anybody know how much ice is on Buel? Planning on going next Saturday the 13th. Can't get on Garfield

Why can't you get on Garfield?  Maybe if you share some information people will help you out.  The flat section not locked up?  Too windy to get good ice?
westernmas on the finder

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2016, 04:26 PM »
Why can't you get on Garfield?  Maybe if you share some information people will help you out.  The flat section not locked up?  Too windy to get good ice?

Probably the flat is open as per usual...or he couldn't find parking. 

Offline barb0405

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2016, 08:15 AM »
In regards to Garfield - Been fishing there for years & I know where to park & this is a she not a he. Where the channel is (generally open water) It was open water all the way around it to shore line. No easy access to get on & it would have been completely stupid to chance anywhere on the shoreline.

Offline PeterSaloom

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2016, 08:50 AM »
This is the most frustrating ice year in memory. We were spoiled last year. Keep looking as the ice is out there.
Cheers,

Pete

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2016, 08:58 AM »
Im on the lake mentioned.  Took some brass ones getting on at the launch and I am the only one out here!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 2016, 09:40 AM »
This is the most frustrating ice year in memory. We were spoiled last year. Keep looking as the ice is out there.

I havent had any issue finding safe ice every weekend. But then again, i check for myself. I dont rely on reports.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline PeterSaloom

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2016, 10:01 AM »
I havent had any issue finding safe ice every weekend. But then again, i check for myself. I dont rely on reports.

I haven't either. But it is evident that most people have. Also, anyone east or south of us has a tougher go of it.
Cheers,

Pete

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2016, 10:24 AM »
I haven't either. But it is evident that most people have. Also, anyone east or south of us has a tougher go of it.
It does help to have trustworthy friends all over the state though . That comes with years of fishing the state though.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2016, 06:47 PM »
Guys who fish Buel....there is a massive drainhole nearshore as you hang the left to head from the launch towards the flat.  What bothers me is there were sled tracks on either side.  It looks like someone went in.  I made tracks today that I personally feel comfortable with but the ice varied drastically.  Ice I measured was 3-4" black, 2-3" snow ice.  The black ice was soft to say the least.

Offline 2Dales

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 10, 2016, 11:52 AM »
Upcoming temps should help stiffen up the ice here, but I definitely agree on the drain hole regardless of the temps!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Feb 10, 2016, 03:10 PM »
The drainholes will firm up quick in that there was no snow insulating them yesterday.  I "found" a few weak spots yesterday... no one else there and man did the fish respond.  Its no doubt the pressure there slows things!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.