New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: what drill to get  (Read 5983 times)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
what drill to get
« on: Dec 19, 2022, 04:30 AM »
i have a  great gas auger and  i don't mind  using it .... and  i  don't mind  using the  5 inch hand  auger  but i'm really thinking i want a  electric  drill auger ....any suggestions on  a  drill ....i was right at lowes  but i don't want to buy  the wrong  drill for the  job ....be specifice   because i'm a  old fart  thanks  guys

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Re: what drill to get
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2022, 05:08 AM »
Honestly, just about any major brand drill will work. I've seen guys use all makes with no real issues. But, what you need: 100# of torque for every inch of auger you're using...18V minimum...4ah battery minimum.

I have been using the Ryobi P251 for several years now and have had 0 problems. 1)750# of torque turns my 8" auger easily. 2) Comes with the auxillary handle 3) And the batteries are interchangeable with the other Ryobi products I have.

One other FYI. I don't think it matters what drill you choose and use... ya' just can't lay on these things when cutting holes. Ice is similar to concrete imo. Slow as she goes...especially with thicker ice. I do some up and down motion when drilling just to ease the stress on the drill and prolong the life of the battery a bit. No matter how slow I go, it's still faster and easier than doing it by hand.

Hope this helps.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2022, 05:23 AM »
I'm still running the Milwaukee Fuel 18v hammer drill with the original clam plate. I have it on a 7" lazer power auger. I've been running it since 2015 with no issues.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2022, 06:52 AM »
Dewalt DCD991

Dewalt DCD996

Dewalt DCD997

Dewalt DCD998 must use 6ah or better Flexvolt battery to achieve the higher advertised torque

Dewalt DCD999 must use 6ah or better Flexvolt battery to achieve the higher advertised torque

Milwaukee 2804-20

Milwaukee 2803-20

Milwaukee 2904-20

Milwaukee 2903-20

Spec for the proper drill

18V or Higher Brushless Drill

5 Amp Hour or Higher Battery

1/2” Chuck Type

Side Stabilizer /  Handle

Minimum Torque Rating of 84 Nm / 750 in. lbs/800 UWO

DRILL SETTING ....DRILL MODE.. Speed Setting 1  NO HAMMEER MODE !!!
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Petercos22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2022, 07:06 AM »
I do OK with a Kobalt 24V brushless. Well priced and been as good as needed.

Offline Icemaniac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2022, 07:09 AM »
I bought and used the Flex drill from Lowes all last year and even using the 2.5 amp battery it worked great attached to my nils 6" auger. Come with a 5 amp battery as well.    https://www.lowes.com/pd/24V-1-2-in-Drl-Drv-Kit-Turbo/1002986412

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2022, 07:22 AM »
I bought and used the Flex drill from Lowes all last year and even using the 2.5 amp battery it worked great attached to my nils 6" auger. Come with a 5 amp battery as well.    https://www.lowes.com/pd/24V-1-2-in-Drl-Drv-Kit-Turbo/1002986412

I like it. Plenty of drill and a good price.

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2022, 07:44 AM »
Whatever you end up getting make sure it’s brushless. You will burn out a brushed drill in a matter of holes. Ask me how I know lol. Said brushless only in the Manuel but I though I knew better. I run a Bosch 18v hammer drill with 5 amp batteries works great for me. Biggest reason I ended running the Bosch is because I already had the platform with a bunch of batteries

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2022, 07:52 AM »
Whatever you end up getting make sure it’s brushless. You will burn out a brushed drill in a matter of holes. Ask me how I know lol. Said brushless only in the Manuel but I though I knew better. I run a Bosch 18v hammer drill with 5 amp batteries works great for me. Biggest reason I ended running the Bosch is because I already had the platform with a bunch of batteries

I have a Bosch as a backup. Good little drill. Actually use it to install ice anchors for the shack. No need to switch out adapters for auger/anchors.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2022, 07:58 AM »
I like it. Plenty of drill and a good price.
X2
 I’m using a M18 fuel with 5amp works fine so far

Offline chaumontriverguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2022, 08:40 AM »
X2
 I’m using a M18 fuel with 5amp works fine so far
what he said lol i use a milwaukee , not cheap but the best option in batteries which is what matters drills are all close in specs all about the batteries my 2 cents

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2022, 09:07 AM »
Unfortunately not to many deals out there now...mid summer until about Thanksgiving was quite the savings on Milwaukee...as they introduced some new model drills lots of retailers  got rid of the old stock 2803 and 2804 drills and kits. Dewalt has been stingy on deals for quite a while . Deals pick up again from March until just before Fathers day based on past years .

Dewalt has two models that are a little shy on specs..but in the margin and new this year the DCD800 and the DCD805 ...but these would not be my first choice as they have not been battle tested.   
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2022, 10:04 AM »
  Lots of good choices out there    for me it's a 6" strike master auger with the plastic flutes ( very light wt to carry ) with an 18 vt rigid brushless drill     I know every one has their own favorite this works for me     I've never completely killed a battery because it's hard on them  I can drill 40 - 45 holes in 8 - 10 inches with this setup and the battery begins to fade. I then just change it out and good to go again. Just keep good sharp blades on. Have never killed 2 bats in one day  note: we don't seem to get heavy ice any more but if I get past 14 or 15 I guess I'll brake out the gas job

Offline Ric66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2022, 10:43 PM »
I have a Rigid 18v octane and it works ok except when you stop it feels like it could break your wrist. I bought one of those Clam drill brackets so hopefully that will solve that issue. If I had to do it over again I’d go with another brand though. I will say I would never go back to using any other auger other than a cordless drill.

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2022, 11:39 PM »
I was told from à friend that his dewalt drill and his k drill can out drill my jiffy? He said its faster? Any thought? I dont need to be fast i just need it to work. Lol guess im old school(52 yrs old)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2022, 04:38 AM »
I have a Rigid 18v octane and it works ok except when you stop it feels like it could break your wrist. I bought one of those Clam drill brackets so hopefully that will solve that issue. If I had to do it over again I’d go with another brand though. I will say I would never go back to using any other auger other than a cordless drill.

The drill may not be your issue. It could be the blades of the auger. My SM with laser blades does the same thing, especially just prior to breaking through. I've learned the hard way to proceed slowly when it's near the end.  ;)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2022, 06:33 AM »
great advice  and i  talked to  fred about it too .....  and  sure  KP  might get a phone call soon  .... my second  thing  and i truely amd ignorant on this  subject  i  want to  run a  5 inch  lazer  shaft  what   else do i  need  so i  don't lose the  shaft????

this  will be  my running gunning  auger

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2022, 06:37 AM »
I believe it's your blades  I experience a little chewing just as it breaks thru but not like you describe  I have mine sharpened every season whether they need it or not and have no issues    I just call it maintenance just like changing the oil in your vehicle

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Dec 20, 2022, 06:42 AM »
great advice  and i  talked to  fred about it too .....  and  sure  KP  might get a phone call soon  .... my second  thing  and i truely amd ignorant on this  subject  i  want to  run a  5 inch  lazer  shaft what   else do i  need so i  don't lose the  shaft????

I assume you mean not to lose it down the hole? I bought (could make) a couple of round wooden plaques/discs from a craft store...drilled a hole in the center...and slid it over auger shaft. Painted it black to match the auger. On each side of the disc, I used a piece of rubber hose and secured them with a hose clamp. Good to go.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Dec 20, 2022, 06:45 AM »
i have  a  larger  shaft  i  could  use  when i  set  tip ups  ,i do love chasing the  toothy  fish  as well

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Dec 20, 2022, 07:30 AM »
great advice  and i  talked to  fred about it too .....  and  sure  KP  might get a phone call soon  .... my second  thing  and i truely amd ignorant on this  subject  i  want to  run a  5 inch  lazer  shaft  what   else do i  need  so i  don't lose the  shaft????

I assume your SM Lazer is a hand auger ...gonna need some height so I recommend an extension

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/clam-ice-auger-16-extension

StrikeMaster makes a nice adapter with a disc attachment

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/strikemaster-2-stage-drill-adapter

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1023742561?pid=960673

Adding a drop of blue Loctite is a good idea on the bolts

I am a big fan of the Clam Plate your Lazer can grab on the bottom and twist your wrist ..also w/o a center point they tend to skip on glare ice ..but if cautious it can be accomplished.. a Clam Plate is quite helpful.

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 20, 2022, 08:19 AM »
I run a Nero 7" with a Milwaukee Fuel on a Clam Plate. 1st year I ran without the Clam plate and almost wrecked my wrist with the torque
Real good Steve, we were biting this morning..we were biting this morning...

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Dec 20, 2022, 08:26 AM »
trapper2000  PM sent

Offline Ric66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 20, 2022, 09:54 AM »
The drill may not be your issue. It could be the blades of the auger. My SM with laser blades does the same thing, especially just prior to breaking through. I've learned the hard way to proceed slowly when it's near the end.  ;)

You are probably right about the blades. However the Rigid drill seems to stop more abruptly than other drills. I’ve seen other posts complaining about the same thing

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #24 on: Dec 20, 2022, 10:53 AM »

All you really need is the cheap kit. Come with the adapter for the shaft to drill and a black frisbee like piece of plastic that goes around the shaft.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline flukeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 20, 2022, 05:29 PM »
I use a 18v Rigid brushless hammer drill and 4" mora auger. I've never used more than 1 battery, and if something fails it lifetime warranty on drill and batteries.

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The greatest international fisherman.
« Reply #26 on: Dec 20, 2022, 09:00 PM »
Anything from Harbor Freight and you can’t go wrong.
2023 - Doing a "food Sled" on Chautauqua with just my wild game food for purchase. Venison, Bear, Elk, Moose, and Boar. Weekends.
2022 - Featured in Jan In-Fisherman Magazine
2019- MVP of Flag Football over 65 league
1992 - 2022 Voted the best Ice Angler in Upstate
2020 - NY Times Best Seller for Propane Crockpot Book
2017 - Iceshanty.com Hall of Fame Inductee
2016 - Voted Best Grandpa in Upstate NY again.
2018 - Donated 1MM to Help Rebuild Afrikan Nation
2019 - Developed own line of jigging lures named after local businesses. Revenue of $289K first 3 months.
2022 - Micro-dehydrating propane cookbook debut on Amazon

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 21, 2022, 11:49 AM »
I use a 18v Rigid brushless hammer drill and 4" mora auger. I've never used more than 1 battery, and if something fails it lifetime warranty on drill and batteries.
  dido on the warranty  can't beat the Rigid policy  I've had batteries and a charger replaced   A few minutes on the phone with a couple diagnostic tests by their instructions and you have a new item in the mail   PERFECT

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Dec 21, 2022, 12:04 PM »
  dido on the warranty  can't beat the Rigid policy  I've had batteries and a charger replaced   A few minutes on the phone with a couple diagnostic tests by their instructions and you have a new item in the mail   PERFECT

Not so much with the Octane series ..not sure what replacement drill or high amp battery they replace them with after they discontinued the line up.

As for Harbor Freight ...I am not familiar with any drills that they sell that meet the speciation's required for good performance for an cordless ice auger setup . 

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 21, 2022, 12:10 PM »
 Just don't tell them your using it on an auger  I believe Rigid will do everything possible to satisfy their customers    I wouldn't mess with taking it back to H.F.  -  just call Rigid

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.